Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter wiring - need help identifying wires
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drivenachodrive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Starter wiring - need help identifying wires Reply with quote

Someone took my transmission out of my van here in Colombia without my permission. Full details to follow on our next blog post - don't get me started! Anyway, the guy took my starter out and left all of the wires hanging there. I have no idea where they all go now, and need help identifying them. I've replaced the starter and starter solenoid at the same time.

I've included 2 pictures below. One is the starter and solenoid with all connections labeled. The next is the array of wires left hanging in the engine compartment. Can you tell me which wires go to which connectors?

Thanks in advance!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
ShultzRoadHouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from my '82 hope it helps...

'71 Super Beetle w/ '75 AJ 1600
'12 Jetta
gelPsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is that extra soleonid for?! Usually the big Ring with the rubber cap on the second pictiure screws directly in to the starter - that's the main + current supply, minus will come via the engine block/ bell housing. The single female in the second picture will clip in one of the male pins on the starter and finito. All the rest is not needed. IF the wiring of your van is stock. If someone has tinkered with it, it might be different. You dont need the extra solenid as the starter it self is equipped with one (the smaller "ton" on the starter). Maybe this was broken and that's why someone added an extra external solenid insteead of replacing/repairing the standard one on the starter? Who knows..... Smile)

Have fun,

.martin, waiting for girlfriend with crown wheel Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
vwnewtons75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second picture... wire number 2 and 4 go to the main lead of the starter, the smaller wire is the start signal lead. I agree with Tigerbus about the solenoid not being needed unless something is wrong with the ignition switch or wiring, or the starter itself. Good luck!
Jason Newton, ASE Master and Adv level VW tech.
gelPsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ground in the second pictire..... Check whethr you really have a ground cable from the body to the gearbox and/or the engine block! Very important. If you don't have, add one or more. The one dangling there might be THE one that should be screwed to the gearbox or the engine block. Then the starter will draw its ground directly via its housing. Got it? All the rest is crap and can be trown out. You might check with a multimter or simply a 12V bulb whther you get power on that small female pin in the 2nd picture while your girlfriend is turning the key as if she wanted to start. If yes, you can connect that directly to the soleoid on the starter, without the big round clamp with the rubber cap. The let her start again, you should hear the soleroid on the starter clicking. If that works, connect the big power and all should be fine.

Ciao,

.martin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
cmorris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen tons of these solenoids on old air-cooled beetles and what not. It is supposed to overcome the solenoid not engaging reliably due to voltage loss from the old wiring and starter switch.

Likely the PO had starter problems at some point and decided to add the solenoid thinking it would solve his woes. However, I agree with the others who have posted and do not believe adding the solenoid is right approach to solving a starter problem in a Vanagon.

-Chad
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it looks like you have a "Hot Start Relay" which makes things all confused. Unless you are having issues with starting while hot, I would toss it in a "to be used later" bin. With that said

Connect 1 female connector to G Male spade on starter
Connect 2 and 4 ring connectors to E post on starter

As for what you have labeled as "3 connector ring ground", Confirm that it is a ground connected to the frame of the van. If so, there should be a bolt on the driver side of your transmission that this connects to. However, if it leads to the alternator or junction box in the engine compartment, then it also has to be connected to E post on starter.

Heres another way of looking at it. 1 wire will lead to your battery and should be connected to the post on the starter. 1 wire will lead to your alternator and should be connected to the post on the starter. 1 wire will lead to your junction box in the engine compartment and should be connected to the post on the starter. The last is is the female connector, there is only 1 male spade this can fit on and I believe this wire leads to your ignition. Hope this clears it up and if you do want to hook up your hot start relay you may have to see if someone else chimes in. I had one and I took it out to make things easier.

Eddie in Phoenix.

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drivenachodrive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!

I went ahead and removed the auxiliary solenoid (put it away for future projects) and wired it up as suggested. It fired up on the first crank, so thanks for the good advice!

Nacho's going back together nicely - we'll be scaring children and running over pets in no time flat!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
nunzio82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring - need help identifying wires Reply with quote

Anyone know what the small blue wire with female spade is for? Its the one next to the large red wire with black stripe.
ShultzRoadHouse photo shows it very well. I have one but its been cut. My van runs very well without it but wanted to know what it was used for.
Thank you
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter wiring - need help identifying wires Reply with quote

nunzio82 wrote:
Anyone know what the small blue wire with female spade is for? Its the one next to the large red wire with black stripe.
ShultzRoadHouse photo shows it very well. I have one but its been cut. My van runs very well without it but wanted to know what it was used for.
Thank you

It might be part of the old diagnostics system that goes to a big plug in the engine compartment

VW would plug into that plug and read out problems to a “ computer”
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: