Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'67 Beetle: Seat Back Restraint
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: '67 Beetle: Seat Back Restraint Reply with quote

Nope, not the strap that holds the seat in its folded down position. Smile

According to Wolfsburg West (and ETKA, in fact), part # 111885583 exists on '67 Beetles. Does anyone have pictures of this installed? I can't find any spot in my headliner that the hook would go through (and it's an OG headliner), nor can I find any spot on my rear seat that it would go on.. My January '67 bug doesn't have it, and another person's February '67 bug doesn't seem to have it either.

Anyone seen this installed in a '67? Got pictures? (care to share your VIN or month of manufacture? Maybe it's something they stopped doing at a certain point in production?)

Bill May? Smile
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article.
aircooledartifacts.com

Follow our restoration work on Instagram.
Our vintage VW story — featured by Volkswagen of America, Inc, VW Trends & HotVWs

Last edited by AirCooledArtifacts on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They show it in the '66 owner's manual...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/66bug/10-11.jpg

...and in this pic from the '67 manual too...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/8_66bug/12.jpg

The pic in the second link (even though the link address say's '66 it is from the '67 pages) shows the metal hook better than the other manuals do, but they should all be the same after '65 I would think. I know that owners manuals may not be the best reference for this sort of thing, but they are a good basic guideline. The hook goes just above the carpet as in the factory pic's. If your car has had the headliner replaced, they may have covered over the holes that it mounts to.

There is a hook for one in my '66, but the seat has been re-covered so I can't tell where the other end fastens to, no scar or any evidence of where it should go.

I wouldn't think they started leaving them off in '67, as it was put there to keep the seat upright under heavy braking. They must not actually be that necessary though, as 98% of them are missing or left off when the rubber rotted.

In '68, they continued the rear seat retainer, but refined the design so there was a latch that held the seat as in this pic from their manual...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/68bug/68T1-10.jpg

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
They show it in the '66 owner's manual...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/66bug/10-11.jpg

...and in this pic from the '67 manual too...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/8_66bug/12.jpg

The pic in the second link (even though the link address say's '66 it is from the '67 pages) shows the metal hook better than the other manuals do, but they should all be the same after '65 I would think. I know that owners manuals may not be the best reference for this sort of thing, but they are a good basic guideline. The hook goes just above the carpet as in the factory pic's. If your car has had the headliner replaced, they may have covered over the holes that it mounts to.

There is a hook for one in my '66, but the seat has been re-covered so I can't tell where the other end fastens to, no scar or any evidence of where it should go.

I wouldn't think they started leaving them off in '67, as it was put there to keep the seat upright under heavy braking. They must not actually be that necessary though, as 98% of them are missing or left off when the rubber rotted.

In '68, they continued the rear seat retainer, but refined the design so there was a latch that held the seat as in this pic from their manual...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/68bug/68T1-10.jpg

Nice eyes. I didn't think to look in the manual. I dug around behind my seat today, now that I know where it goes, and I did in fact find a screw that goes into the body where the hook should be. Now to find one of those hooks... Wolfsburg is sold out.
vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mariusstrom wrote:

Nice eyes. I didn't think to look in the manual. I dug around behind my seat today, now that I know where it goes, and I did in fact find a screw that goes into the body where the hook should be. Now to find one of those hooks... Wolfsburg is sold out.

West coast metric has the hook. They're out of stock right now too, but they seem like they get stuff back in stock quicker than WW, at least in the cases of different things I've needed.

https://shop.westcoastmetric.com/viewProduct.php?productID=113-584

Red River VW Club- http://www.redrivervwclub.com
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwlovr73 wrote:

West coast metric has the hook. They're out of stock right now too, but they seem like they get stuff back in stock quicker than WW, at least in the cases of different things I've needed.

https://shop.westcoastmetric.com/viewProduct.php?productID=113-584

Thanks, since this thread started I've acquired a hook. Smile

However, I'm glad someone kicked this thread back open. I've as yet been unable to ascertain exactly where on the backseat that the rubber catch goes. Can anyone take measurements or pictures of theirs if they have the seat out?

Thanks!
vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mariusstrom"]
vwlovr73 wrote:

However, I'm glad someone kicked this thread back open. I've as yet been unable to ascertain exactly where on the backseat that the rubber catch goes. Can anyone take measurements or pictures of theirs if they have the seat out?
Thanks!

I'll see what I can do for you later today. By some stroke of luck, my factory installed rubber thingy is still there (tho crumbling). This is on a 63 but should at least be similar.

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rubber strap was held to the seat frame by a bracket like this one repopped by WW

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It screws into the back rest frame; the hole from the original will still be there. If the seat has been recovered, you can still feel for it.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
The rubber strap was held to the seat frame by a bracket like this one repopped by WW

It screws into the back rest frame; the hole from the original will still be there. If the seat has been recovered, you can still feel for it.

Thanks - I have the rubber bit and the metal bracket, but am not sure where to feel for the hole.. Side, or back of the seat? Looks like my back seat has been recovered because I'm not spotting a hole.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my '65, but same in my '67. You have to feel through the material for the small hole in the tubular frame. If you can't find it, just drill another; but you have to be careful that your drill bit doesn't twist up the material. May be worth while to remove the seat back and pull off some of the seat material to locate the hole.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 FL Deluxe beat me to it. But I did manage to grab a few pics tonight. This is the OG upholstery, underneath a cheap seat cover. I just pulled the seat cover back enough to see.

Here's the hook with my (broken) rubber stopper.

Here's where the rubber piece hooks to the seat. That little metal hardware is screwed in with one flathead screw to the angled bar on the back of the seat. (Again, try to ignore the black vinyl; the silverbeige is the OG upholstery.)

Here's the best closeup I could get at this weird angle without taking the seat out. Wink

This is on a 63 bug.

You can tell better in 67 FL Deluxe's photo, the hole appears to be just a little above the half-way point on the diagonal of this back bar. Hopefully you can feel it out!

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intentionally took a photo of the entire length of the seat to show perspective on the location of the mounting point. Glad to help Wink

BTW, Bill May has been MIA for a while. I hope he's okay...

-Kent

mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent pics - thanks! Just pulled my back seat and got the strap installed. One step closer to OG. Smile
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
BTW, Bill May has been MIA for a while. I hope he's okay...

He posted to another forum (not TheSamba) as recently as July 20, so I think he's OK.. just hasn't logged onto TheSamba for a while. Neutral
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: