Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 SD resident Patina found
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: 66 SD resident Patina found Reply with quote

Few weeks back I took my air vents to a sandblaster to have them cleaned up. While there, I noticed an early squareback on a residential property next to the business. Yesterday, I took the shell parts I had collected back to the sandblaster to clean them up so I could get a better look at them. After picking up my parts, I stopped at the residence and asked about the early square. The young man gave me his father's number and so I called later in the evening and we made the arrangement to meet up. I learned the car, VIN number 366279078 has been sitting in the yard for over roughly 10 yrs.

The condition of the car is:
- First and foremost...no title
- No front hood
- Pan has a poorly placed patch in the battery compartment area and a hole towards the front of the pan and another in passenger side
- No front seats or bottom rear seat.
- The doors, front drivers fender are in good shape and flush up on the body, no rust on bottom
- Rear fenders are in decent shape with minor dents and no taillight assembly
- The passenger side had a dent front but it doesn't affect the front apron
- The bumpers are dented up or bent
- No door panels, dash cracked up, gauges are there but unknown if they work
- Presently, the motor is there but will be removed as the owner wants it
- Transmission is there and will go with the car if sold
- Wheels are not the best, one wheel flat, rot, the norm with old tires that have sat for a while
- All the glass is there but the windshield is cracked and seals rotted

The owner is interested in selling the car but I truly have no place to store it as I already have three storage stalls that I'm trying to consolidate items so I can get rid of one or two. Not sure what one of these would go for but would like to pose to the forum to ask if anyone is interested in this car. The owner has mentioned in time, it would be sent off to get scrapped. I feel there are alot of parts that would benefit a 66 owner or a square for someone that needs compatible parts.

I've arranged pics in manner as not to take up too much space and maximize visibility on the car. I'm not an expert VW guy like some of you who've built or restored and are proficient in identifying issues with cars by looking at pics so any comments won't hurt my feelings. I think it's got some nice OG Patina going on and would make a cool stocker or scraper. Again, no title.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Geothon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donor. Pull the popouts, glass, whatever sheet metal as needed.
SamSmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of title makes this a parts car in my book, but its got a lot of good parts there.
Offer as little as possible if you want it and part it out
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In California if you don't have a title it's no problem. Run the VIN to see if it is on record, if not get a bill of sale and they'll send you a title. That's better than a parts car.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to determine a value?

$200 or less is my opinion, based on what you said above.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lawn ninja wrote:
In California if you don't have a title it's no problem. Run the VIN to see if it is on record, if not get a bill of sale and they'll send you a title. That's better than a parts car.

Up here, the car will go thru a different process being it has no title. Especially a resident car. From my understanding, an attempt to contact the last TRUE owner (last registered name) has to be made, car info posted in local paper to give the owner opportunity to make claim. If no claim, you can request title to car as new owner. I've never gone thru this proces, but my square came from GA with no title and being an out of state car, the process was alot easier. Strange but true as I got my title to my 67 in 10 days.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Are you trying to determine a value?

$200 or less is my opinion, based on what you said above.

Yeah, was trying to find out what others think of the car and if anyone is in need of it, it's being offered up. I detailed what I saw and learned from my observation to be fair to anyone who may express interest.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
T3+4_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That car is in better shape then the 3 I have siting in the back yard, and is almost as solid as the one I'm driving now. Shocked
I love how all the people outside the rust belt of new england jump to a cheap parts car conclusion. Rolling Eyes
Up in my neck of the woods I'd pay 3 for it as the body looks good, dig around my back yard for all the missing parts, go up to NH and register it, and drive it as it is! Cool
1969 fastback,
1965 Notchback, The mother's summer car now! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=477439
1986 Jetta Diesel 5spd, Was the beater, now currently undergoing an overhaul
1995 Chevrolet Caprice, The daily driver and tow rig

"You say it's rotted out, I say its weight reduction, better fuel economy Very Happy "
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Thousand?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed he meant $300.

For $3000 you can buy a running and driving car.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yestereday I called the owner to let him know there was no interest in his square as a whole with only one person looking into a part. He relayed to me his coworker had backed out of getting the square so he made all parts with exception of the engine available to me. After finding a sizeable hornets nest and dealing with them, I removed bumpers, the fenders, gas tank, glove box and rear seat backrest along with alot of smaller parts on the inside. The doors and all glass will be removed tomorrow. It seems the driver rocker is in better shape than the passengers so that will be removed as well as the front apron. But the entire frunk looks great as well as the front cowl.

I'd like to know what would be the best way to salvage this part of the shell? Does anyone have any suggestion?

Cut the front windshield post save cowl and door jam portion where doors bolt in, save the dash and front portion of the cab?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Value really depends on your state, and what you might need it for.

Like the comments above would be WAYYYY off here in OK.

Title is 60.00 to get here.

Car has rear torsion, so = 75 to a buggy guy.

Motor here if you can get it to run 500

trans 150 looks to be swing, so for a split bus guy 300.

Body panels look salvageable, glass, interior, radio etc...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better cut everything as big as possible. Cut out both heater channels with inner fenders, then cut out the cowl/dash with gauges. Snip the gauge wires with 3" pigtails for ease of re-wiring them. Prop the roof to tunnel with a board before you cut the windshield pillars/dash out as the roof will fall! Cut the whole front end off vertically at the gas tank and take it home in one piece. Too bad you don't have a field to store it and "cut to order" when you have a buyer for each section.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Better cut everything as big as possible. Cut out both heater channels with inner fenders, then cut out the cowl/dash with gauges. Snip the gauge wires with 3" pigtails for ease of re-wiring them. Prop the roof to tunnel with a board before you cut the windshield pillars/dash out as the roof will fall! Cut the whole front end off vertically at the gas tank and take it home in one piece. Too bad you don't have a field to store it and "cut to order" when you have a buyer for each section.

Mike, I spent this AM pulling the dash pieces off so it's picked clean. I appreciate the info and really wish I could hold onto the shell as a whole. The side window post area are nice, with no rust anywhere around the windows.

After I take the body off the pan, I plan on looking it over to be sure that cutting it up.

I could use the front cowl to replace mine but the dash portion I don't need.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This square, VIN number 366279078 is no more. After a week and half of dismantling the car and removing fenders, doors and glass, today the shell was cut to hold onto the pieces that may help out my project and someone else should they need it. The front apron, Cowl including the dash, pillars to support pop-outs and roof were removed.

I have to say, although I felt bad about cutting up the shell, this was an educational experience I'm very happy I had before I do my project. Knowing where and how things were put together was great to learn.

I appreciate everyones comments on the car but want to send a some props to Mike Fisher for describing "how to" and posting a few pics of how he dealt with removing some of the pieces."
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montehm wrote:
This square, VIN number 366279078 is no more. After a week and half of dismantling the car and removing fenders, doors and glass, today the shell was cut to hold onto the pieces that may help out my project and someone else should they need it. The front apron, Cowl including the dash, pillars to support pop-outs and roof were removed.

I have to say, although I felt bad about cutting up the shell, this was an educational experience I'm very happy I had before I do my project. Knowing where and how things were put together was great to learn.

I appreciate everyones comments on the car but want to send a some props to Mike Fisher for describing "how to" and posting a few pics of how he dealt with removing some of the pieces."

Did you say 366279078??? Oh. My. God.

You just cut up the 1,000,000th T-3 produced!!!

...kidding. Smile
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
montehm wrote:

Did you say 366279078??? Oh. My. God.

You just cut up the 1,000,000th T-3 produced!!!

...kidding. Smile

It's your lucky day! Your prize for researching the whereabouts of the 1,000,000th Square produced gets you a free piece of the car! Surprised Smile HAHAA!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: