Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Question(s)
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tandemguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Brake Question(s) Reply with quote

Sorry, I checked the Forums and couldn't find specific answers to my myriad of questions, so. . . Can the brakes be adjusted with the wheels on like older Detroit cars?? I cant seem to find a "window" to get to the star wheel.
I couldn't get the brakes drums off because; A: Nut wouldn't budge B: If nut HAD come off, I am told it would take a wheel puller to get the drum off. If I could adjust the brakes for now I can wait and have a shop do the brake work, unless someone can tell me how to get the nut and drum off.

I learn more about my Bus each day. Somedays the Bus wins, somedays I win.

Larry
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have stock wheels remove the hubcaps, he adjusters are accessed through a hole in the drum (turn the drum till it's over a star wheel).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to work on your bus yourself, get one of these:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/volkswagen/repair-information/vw-transporter-50-62-lpv800138.html

It will answer most of the basic mechanical questions you have about your bus.

Brake adjustment threads:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search...=titleonly

Drum puller thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=390674&highlight=drum+puller

The rear axle nut is either a 46mm or a 36mm nut, which generally requires quite a long cheater pipe (or air-impact) to remove. I find about 6ft and my fat ass works about right for most situations. Here's a thread about removing stuck axle nuts:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=354165&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tandemguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
If you have stock wheels remove the hubcaps, he adjusters are accessed through a hole in the drum (turn the drum till it's over a star wheel).

It looks like there's a fairly small hole, smaller than a dime, in each drum. That must be the hole you are referencing??
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Question(s) Reply with quote

tandemguy wrote:
Sorry, I checked the Forums and couldn't find specific answers to my myriad of questions, so. . . Can the brakes be adjusted with the wheels on like older Detroit cars?? I cant seem to find a "window" to get to the star wheel.
I couldn't get the brakes drums off because; A: Nut wouldn't budge B: If nut HAD come off, I am told it would take a wheel puller to get the drum off. ....unless someone can tell me how to get the nut and drum off.

Quote:
I learn more about my Bus each day. Somedays the Bus wins, somedays I win.

^^^ This is sig-line material right here. ^^^

Larry

Busryder wrote:
widehatch wrote:
custom tools are always handy, these work good too for the axle nuts

My two most favorite items in my toolbox.... never leave home without them.

You can use these two tools to remove your axle nuts... if you're having problems.

Plus^^^.... This is the same type of "one man proposal that can make ALL of the difference in the world" in order to re-calibrate this site into one that has a chance to re-inhibit this sight into one that can provide its users into, 'animal-like', consumers that can find their own answers to their own damn questions... ones that are self-sufficient enough to answer their questions. Wink

I am a Dick, hear me roar- Laughing

Me, an OVP Lifer...
skaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adjusters can be accessed through the small hole its a bit tricky but use a flashlight and a flat head screwdriver. Obviously need to jack up your bus. Good luck!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information on how to adjust brakes should be in any workshop manual about old VWs.
You should have a copy of John Muirs Idiot Book, and a copy of the split bus Bentley as shown above.
owners manual are here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type2.php

This is from a 62 owners manual, showing 3/4 ton (55-63) brakes:

You do not need to pull the drum to adjust brakes. In fact, you really need to have the drums in place to get the adjustment right.
While you do need to pull the drums to replace shoes etc, you should not need a puller.
When a puller is needed, it is because the bus sat for ages and the shoes rusted to the drums (in which case the wheels don't turn), and/or the rear splines rusted to the drums.
Always grease the splines before sliding on the rear drums.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: