Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Left front wheel locked up
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Left front wheel locked up Reply with quote

Got up this morning and tried to back out and found the left front wheel locked up. Pumped the brakes. Tried moving in both directions. Tried bleeding a little. Nothing. So I removed the wheel and banged on the drum a little. Nothing. I tried looking for the brake adjusting hole on the back but to my surprise I couldn't find any.
I'm a newbie but figured I need to pull the drum. Took off the speedo cable clip and cup and found two nuts with a flat plate between them, one side bent in over the inner nut and one side bent out over the outer nut. I pried back the outer one thinking to remove this nut but when I try, both nuts start moving.
I'm a newbie so I don't know what to do next?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NeedAName
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They both need to come off. The inner nut holds the drum on the spindle and the outer nut is a lock nut. To make sure the inner doesn't come loose. Also if i remember correctly the drivers side is reverse thread. So try spinning it the opposite way (right) to loosen it. Take those two nuts off, then you'll have a washer and the outer bearing to take off. They slide right off.
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looked like a reverse thread so I was turning it in the correct direction.
Do I spin them off together in unison. Or do I flatten out that bent plate between them and do it separately? I am Leary because a manual I'm checking cautions about improper adjustment ruining the bearings in a short time. I guess if I can find the problem and get it back together, I can drive it the 2 or 3 miles to my mechanic and have him check it all out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NeedAName
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatten out the inner part of the plate and take them off. If they come off together it's fine. The improper adjustment refers to when you put it back together. If you tighten it too much the bearing will wear out quick cause they'll be binding up. It not too hard really. You just don't want to leave it super loose or super tight. The manual will probably tell you to snug it up and then back off about a half a turn when tightening it back up.
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea The wheel cyl may need to be replaced....if not then definetly both front brake hoses. (always as a pair)

They may appear to be in okay condition but do swell internally and will on occasion restrict fluid pressure to the wheel.

Then again the piston inside the wheel cyl may be working one of the shoes thus locking it up (common with dirty fluid and thus needs to be replaced) (here again in pairs L/R).

Wheel cyls can be rebuilt with new kits but considering the cost and Labor not worth the time.

THe early bugs did have a Left and Right hand threaded spindle.
Culito

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the other thread he stepped on the brakes with the drum off and popped the ends out of the wheel cylinder.
Rolling Eyes
Let's get these two threads under control.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SuperSamba Premium Member
Samba False Idol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please use this thread only since it's a different subject.
I removed the front drum posts from your other shifter thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem I've encountered is the lining separating from the brake shoe and jamming the drum solid.

The first thing I'd do is open the bleeder valve and see if that helps. If so, replace the brake hoses. (I'd do all four.)

Heinz Nordhoff
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you do anything else, try loosening the adjusting stars. The adjusting hole is not on the back side of the wheel, it's on the outboard side (where the wheel goes).

If you don't loosen the adjusting stars you'll have a really tough time getting the drum off.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front wheel locked up Reply with quote

onetuza wrote:
Got up this morning and tried to back out and found the left front wheel locked up. Pumped the brakes. Tried moving in both directions. Tried bleeding a little. Nothing. So I removed the wheel and banged on the drum a little. Nothing. I tried looking for the brake adjusting hole on the back but to my surprise I couldn't find any.
I'm a newbie but figured I need to pull the drum. Took off the speedo cable clip and cup and found two nuts with a flat plate between them, one side bent in over the inner nut and one side bent out over the outer nut. I pried back the outer one thinking to remove this nut but when I try, both nuts start moving.

Okay, I needed to reread this and see he already loosened the bleeder.

If the drum is stuck, he can't turn it to find the stars.

If you turn the nut and both nuts turn, the lock washer between them is broken. Using two wrenches turn them apart from one another to separate them, and when you go to reassemble you'll need a new lock washer.

The left wheel has left handed threads, so remove as if you're tightening.

After removing the nuts and bearing, if you still can't get the drum to turn to find the adjusters (adjustment holes are on the front of the drum), you'll need a wheel puller.

Heinz Nordhoff
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Left front wheel locked up Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
If the drum is stuck, he can't turn it to find the stars.

You are correct.
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. It was very helpful. Got the nuts off and kept mildly banging the drum all around in the off direction. Eventually it came off. My wife's uncle came by and coached me to sand the rust off the drum and brake pad. We got the piston back down and he said it would be alright. I had some 400 grit I used and cleaned it all off. Adjusted the star wheels so it was easier to get back on and then adjusted them again. Tightened the inner nut just so and then the outer one. Hopefully it is OK.
Put the wheel back on and took her for a spin.

So this is what I have to look forward to because I had to have a beetle again?

Regards to all. Sorry I had to BUG you. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: