Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zoinks Scooby! Tell me about my new sorta fast oil leak...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyomingresident
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Zoinks Scooby! Tell me about my new sorta fast oil leak... Reply with quote

My 1984 Westy couldn't be running better. As Mr. Cash would put it, "...it's running just like a song...".

I took some major road trips last Autumn 2011 (Seattle & Phoenix) and a major Wyoming to Cape Hatteras trip with the kids this past Spring. Heavy loads.

I've had the 1.9L Van since 2001. It had ~184K when I bought it. Now @ 235K. Maybe new heads along the way before I got it. Hard to say. Seems to be coming from the front left area.

After getting it up to temp and parking it, there us a 4-5 inch oil spot showing up pretty quick- eventually stopping when the engine cools down.

Thanks in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several possibilities but one that is easy to check and cheap to fix -- I had a similar leak diagnosed as a main seal but upon inspection I found a split in the underside of the hose from the breather tower to the S-boot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With the '84 having no restriction in that hose (unlike later engines) a fair amount oil oil could collect there and drip thru the slit.

Another 'cheap & easy' suspect is, of course, the valve cover gaskets -- which do fail from time to time.

Good luck, hope yours is something equally trivial.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm...LEFT side...as in DRIVER's side? Where EXACTLY are the drips? Pics?

It's not the pressure sender between the pushrods? (might need to move the tin)
Not the oil filter...or the drain plug...???

(Easy questions first)

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: