Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Picked Off
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingd33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
The Sage wrote:
Let's say I have a bus in a field in Michigan with no rust. it happens to be a clean two owner 15 window. .
Laughing Laughing Laughing ... Good one!.

It was guarded by a unicorn Laughing
kingd33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Grandfather inlaw was a Huge collector of stuff,He would buy buildings just to put his stuff in(investment properties).

Now my wife was in charge in getting the crap out of one of the places and had a huge sale "pennies on the dollar". We knew people were walking out with stuff worth hundreds of dollars that they paid $5 -$25, She even had one guy come up to her with a Model A part saying "Do you know this is worth over $100 " And my wifes response was "I'll take $5 for it ".

Just because someone accepts a low ball offer,It does not always mean they got screwed.
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidpainter wrote:

I see a 6 year old who I know has some baseball cards. I look through them and find a Mickey Mantle rookie card. I offer the kid a nickel for it. I then sell it for the $3000 I know it is really worth. He's happy with 5 cents so he was not taken. Is that correct?

I'd do that deal all day long. Kids shouldn't need that much money anyways. There's no excuse for ignorance whether your 6 or 60. That's just the game of life. Wink Cool

But in all reality, most businesses need to buy inventory at 50% of what it's worth to make sustainable revenue and cover expenses. So that $1000 trinket for $500 is MINIMUM what I am looking for. I personally look for the $100 item that is worth $500, and find it regularly....and both parties are satisfied.

The "pickers" have real expenses, and also get burned every now and then too. To sum it up, they allow these collectors to re-live some memories about their collection, and they part way with a few pieces at reasonable prices.

Most of those people will die with HUGE collections that will only burden their families. Now if the pickers were pulling up with a garbage truck and giving them $500 for their entire collection, that would be a different story.

Current: 1972 Beetle - 96V EV
Previous:
1966 Beetle - Sea Blue - 1300SP
1966 Beetle - Sea Blue - 1600SP
1974 Beetle - African Red - 1914CC

JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike and Frank tell the people that they can't pay retail as they have to make something off of the stuff. My wife and I were just at their Nashville store and they had a lot of really cool stuff. (They make most of their money there off of T-shirts. (We bought 2!) A few people there said that anything under $100 usually sells very quickly.) If they take the time, gas and expenses to go out and find something that someone may be looking for but not know where to find it, paying more would be expected. If you're out picking for yourself, then you can pay a lower price as you don't have the middleman. I've bought a few things and flipped them or bought a bunch of stuff in bulk then broke the collection down to make a profit. It's the same way many of us pay for our projects. (Except the early 356 guys who just sell a polo pony or lease out their time share in Madrid...)
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidpainter wrote:
I see a 6 year old who I know has some baseball cards. I look through them and find a Mickey Mantle rookie card. I offer the kid a nickel for it. I then sell it for the $3000 I know it is really worth. He's happy with 5 cents so he was not taken. Is that correct?

When any of these shows start buying stuff from a six year old, then you can take the moral high ground. I don't think that is the case.

Mr. In Your Dreams wrote:
Hey, I'll take that 2-owner 15-Window for $17K because I'm pretty sure I can almost double that, properly pimped and advertised to the right market.

That's my point... Here, I'd be happy with the $17k
Dunebubby
Samba Thread Killer

Location: In my den,throwing darts at a picture of my ex-boss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screw the six year old. He obviously screwed someone out of the Mantle rookie card. He likely didn't have the capitol to purchase it at face value and if he did he would have known it's value and never let it go for a nickle.

Nah,....I missed picked off
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
The Sage wrote:
Lidpainter wrote:
American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Property Wars, Barter Kings etc. are all about profiting from the misery, desperation, ignorance and misfortune of others. I think the Pickers are the worst offenders. When I see Frank do the happy dance because he knowingly paid some old man/old woman/widow $35 for some item worth $1000 it is hard to watch. It's even more disgusting to me when he talks them down from $50 to $35 on that item. Nothing wrong with making a profit but have some scruples and be fair about it.
It's just stuff. These businessmen have education, and a market that the sellers just don't have. Let's say I have a bus in a field in Michigan with no rust. I sell it for $500, the buyer fixes the engine, and cleans it up and sells it for $17,000 because it happens to be a clean two owner 15 window. Have I been taken? No, I am happy with the $500. Ignorance and misfortune? More like too lazy to make the effort to sell their stuff for nearly what it's worth.

Hey, I'll take that 2-owner 15-Window for $17K because I'm pretty sure I can almost double that, properly pimped and advertised to the right market.

and only if you put "ask" in the ad!!! Wink
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 minutes is what I watched before I turned that crap.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obus wrote:
EverettB wrote:
The Sage wrote:
Lidpainter wrote:
American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Property Wars, Barter Kings etc. are all about profiting from the misery, desperation, ignorance and misfortune of others. I think the Pickers are the worst offenders. When I see Frank do the happy dance because he knowingly paid some old man/old woman/widow $35 for some item worth $1000 it is hard to watch. It's even more disgusting to me when he talks them down from $50 to $35 on that item. Nothing wrong with making a profit but have some scruples and be fair about it.
It's just stuff. These businessmen have education, and a market that the sellers just don't have. Let's say I have a bus in a field in Michigan with no rust. I sell it for $500, the buyer fixes the engine, and cleans it up and sells it for $17,000 because it happens to be a clean two owner 15 window. Have I been taken? No, I am happy with the $500. Ignorance and misfortune? More like too lazy to make the effort to sell their stuff for nearly what it's worth.

Screw that... I'll price it straight out FIRM. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
savaden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so these shows are entertaining and you might learn something.

But for every item they show the probably buy ten.

For every item that they think they will double their money they have 5 that sell for what they paid or maybe less. That's how they get smart! Wink

The right buyer has to come to their shop. You go into an antique store, that stuff is not flying off the shelves. A lot of the stuff that they buy is going to sit on the shelf for a while.

They have to make a living. I'm not quite sure how they do that, beyond what the show pays them. They certainly are not making a living off the stuff that you see them buy on the show. $50 here, $100 there. It's not adding up to much.

In any retail business the standard markup is 100%. Some stuff goes for higher margin, some for less. The margin on clutch discs, for example may be 400%.

It's hard to be completely fair. They are saving people the hassle of marketing their stuff. It's their expense and their risk. They should be rewarded for it.

SV
Lidpainter
Samba Anti-Hero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obus wrote:
EverettB wrote:
The Sage wrote:
Lidpainter wrote:

LOL!
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Pickin Reply with quote

Every single guy here enjoys the hunt. We all are looking for bargains out there and anyone that isnt is lying to you. There is a moral fine line between low ball and fair money and that line gets drawn between buyer and seller...the goal is that both parties are happy and smiling and exchange the greenbacks for the goods. Some folks moral lines are lower than others, some are higher...and for as many things we kid ourselves that we "profit" from, we lose our ass on others.

But the hunt...it is all about the hunt. I totally dig hunting for cool old stuff and love to get a bargain...just love it...and that is why I threw my name in the hat for the show...it looked like a ton of fun...and it was. It was totally awesome.

Barry and I have known each other for a long time and I know he is the king of the scroungers and a nice guy on top of it. We have travelled together before and got along fine and he is a wacky looking surf bum kinda guy that I figured would be a great character for the show...and he is always up for an adventure...So we went for it!

When we got to the hotel and then crawled into the van to go to where they were filming, all of our competitors were in the same vehicle. At one point, Rob, the cheerleader's boyfriend turned around totally out of the blue and asked Barry and I if we were into VWs. It seems he is too, and is a Samba member as well!! Totally cool dude.

Ive got some more funny stories of it if anyone cares to hear...a lot of stuff got cut out mashing a week worth of filming of four different teams into a one hour show.

Win or lose...I loved every minute of it. (and still think we should have won...even with the beetles!) Laughing
951-795-1175
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was channel surfing and all of a sudden I said, "Hey, That's Randy" so I watched it. That's the only reason I watched it. looked like you guys had fun!

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: