Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine swap comparison matrix?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished installing a EJ22 into my tin top Syncro. Engine cost including ECU, oxy sensors, wiring harness and drop shipping into my garage was 2k. Engine came from John Lemley and was out of a 98 Legacy with 96k on the clock. I used RMW DIY kit, complete kit with harness service and cost was a little over 4k. I have another thousand into misc parts like timing belt, clutch, and gas tank reseal kit. Took me about two weeks to install once the WBX was dropped. Did 95% of the work by myself and still have a few more items to address before I put serious miles on it. Crappy thing is the conversion project had to be put on the back burn because of a roofing contractor that tried to take us to the cleaners. As far as performance, my wife said its a whole new van the first time she drove it.

Matt
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to engine conversions, in my opinion this point is often overlooked. Regardless of engine choice etc. One day, you will be broken down. No one likes to think of it and no doubt the better the conversion quality and preventative maintenance etc the less the chances are, but you can bet one day you will.

If and when that day comes, how will you address the break down? Will you diagnose it yourself and fix it, will you be posting here for help, or will you be looking for a shop that will work on your frankenstein Vanagon? It is hard enough to find a qualified Vanagon mechanic when you are broken down in the middle of no where. If you can find someone, you will need accurate wiring diagrams for both the Vanagon and the engine management system for the manufacturer you choose.

The more involved you are with the engine conversion, the better off you are. Best Regards
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with this statement (well I do) with the exception that many vanagon (westfalia) owners are as unfamiliar with the stock engine as any conversion.
add that also is applicable for random mechanics shops as well.
support network also starts with the loose nut behind the steering wheel.
if you have no ability you better be ready to pay$$ for those that do or have developed the abilities.. be that a Doctor, lawyer or tow truck operator.

rsxsr wrote:
When it comes to engine conversions, in my opinion this point is often overlooked. Regardless of engine choice etc. One day, you will be broken down. No one likes to think of it and no doubt the better the conversion quality and preventative maintenance etc the less the chances are, but you can bet one day you will.

If and when that day comes, how will you address the break down? Will you diagnose it yourself and fix it, will you be posting here for help, or will you be looking for a shop that will work on your frankenstein Vanagon? It is hard enough to find a qualified Vanagon mechanic when you are broken down in the middle of no where. If you can find someone, you will need accurate wiring diagrams for both the Vanagon and the engine management system for the manufacturer you choose.

The more involved you are with the engine conversion, the better off you are. Best Regards

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conversion metrics?

my stock van= buddies tiico= my bay 2.3 ford

All three variations cannot beat eachother in a race.

All would've wooped my bays ass with the stock type 4.

Sure its all oppinion but I don't think you'll get a noticable bump in power without added complication (ie 1.8t, subarus, vr's)

This is all my experience. I know that I'm not going through the headaches I did on my conversion. At best I'll be going performance stock...2.3 or 2.5. Had i known the simplicity of the wbx a few years back my bay would still be all vw.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2.0l conversion is six seconds faster to 60mph, than the stock 2.1 I pulled out. Mileage is better, performance much better,mod'd auto happy at 6000 rpm, and basically retains 1990 digifant ii injection. Test data before and after using a g-tech pro.

I would however expect few people to spend the amount of time/research and fabrication as I did building the swap up from the disaster that I purchased originally.

I like tencent's approach which addresses the WBx issues, adds some performance, and keeps things stock. Would have dropped one of those in likely if they were around a few years back.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: