Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift Issues
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Shift Issues Reply with quote

Cannot seem to get into 3rd and 4th gear. 1st 2nd and reverse are not a problem. It happened in mid drive without noise or any real problem. I hate transmissions so I stay away from them. Any ideas what probelm is so I know what I am getting into when I take to shop?

Thanks
lotsavws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Shift Issues Reply with quote

try replacing the shift coupler before taking it to the shop. it would save a bunch of money. the part itself is inexpensive and is fairly easy to do for a 'do it yourselfer'.

:)
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Shift Issues Reply with quote

If the needle bearings in your flywheel glandnut are shot your car will not shift right, and will even seem to get stuck in gear.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Shift Issues Reply with quote

while your at it replace the shift bearing wich is also an inexpensive thing to replace....if you replace that and the shift coupler, and your problems dont disapeer.....save up for a gene berg five speed or something...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Shift Issues Reply with quote

I looked at coupler, which by the way was repalced recently by previous owner, and it was pretty makeshift but was in place. Tried shifting with coupler undone (which by the way is a good workout for your hand strength) and it only shifts to 1st and 2nd still. I assume now problem is in tranny for sure.

The upside to this is that the previous owner put a granny gear transmission (45 mph max) that I am desperate to replace, not sure which one but am going to check #'s to find out.

So my next question, what tranny should I replace this one with that will get me some highway speed and what is best option on supplier? 74 bug tranmmission? I do no off road. I am new to things and there is no one in area to rebuild so I need to just take out old and put in new.

Also, has original 1600 motor and lift kit if that helps.

Thanks
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Shift Issues Reply with quote

slurge....get a gene berg 5 speed....the only way to fly
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Shift Issues Reply with quote

First thanks for the input it really helps. I am brain dead when it comes to transmissions.

The code stamp on bottom of tranny is CA09...

Any ideas what I have under this rig?

Does not match with any Thing codes, so is it Type 2?

Help and thanks
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Shift Issues Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean by Granny gear transmission. I have a stock one with 1600 and can cruise 65 on I 95. Does it have gear reduction devices? Is it a military Thing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Shift Issues Reply with quote

I was hoping that the numbers on the Tranmission would let me know what it has under it. It is reduced to the point that it will only do 45 mph in fourth. The guy I bought it from does not know. He is good guy, he just buys cars for fun and when he gets tired of them he sells them (at a good price). If he reads this my apologizes he just goes through cars just for kicks. The upside is every car he collects you can eat off the engine.

I do not know trans so I was hoping the numbers might indicate what it is. And no it is not military thing, just standard 1974 issue Mexico but as clean as brand new with upgrades.

Thanks
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Shift Issues Reply with quote

Are you sure the tranny code is CA, and not GA? the GA trans is a thing trans, with a higher R/P ratio
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Shift Issues Reply with quote

If you're only doing 45 in top gear, the R&P has likely been replaced, and possibly the gears as well. The low-ratio R&Ps are weak junk. Time to replace that gearbox anyhow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Shift Issues Reply with quote

OK I have decided that I have got to change this transmission out. As someone said it must have reduction gears as it is slow but I knew that going in when I bought it. I want to swap out (as easy as possible) with a different tranny that I can drive on freeway and around town. Nothing fancy just having fun with it. Again I do not know transmissions so I have to give to local transmission shop to change out. They are Volkswagon guys but not transmission guys.

I need to know what to change it out with and who to get the transmission from. Needs to be as turn key as possible.

I tried to contact one transmission firm (will go unnamed) and did not give me the time of day.

Also, I did recheck number and it does start with CA.

Help and if Craig S.. in White Salmon reads this, drop me an e-mail.

Thanks
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Shift Issues Reply with quote

I have a good used european 181 transmission available if you are interested.
daSCHISSnit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Shift Issues Reply with quote

you can most certianly put a bug tranny in a thing. you could even go with a Freeway Flyer tranny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Shift Issues Reply with quote

Thanks,

I did find out that the tranny is out 72-74 bus. Are there any shortcomings with putting in bug tranny?

Also, thanks for the offer from bljones but I would prefer to purchase a rebuild from company. I appreciate the offer though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: