Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Info Sticker inside 1962-64 Glove Box Door?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Info Sticker inside 1962-64 Glove Box Door? Reply with quote

We're going through the details of our late-1964 Sea Blue Sedan and discovered a paper decal/sticker that has information about tire inflation values for the Sedan, Karmann Ghia & KG Convertible. Unfortunately, our sticker is only partially intact.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I found three other glovebox doors with the same paper sticker. A Ruby Red 1962, a green, & a Sea Blue. I've bought the red & blue ones so I can make a color scan to design a reproduction myself that's in better condition than the partial one on my 1964.

Is there a reproduction of this sticker available?
Does anyone know which years this sticker was fitted to?

Last edited by Lee Hedges on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:12 am; edited 3 times in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dealer item? Regional?
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Ruby Red & Sea Blue glovebox doors and they were finally delivered. I scanned the stickers and noticed there were minor differences, so definitely two different stickers. Since the text wasn't salvageable, I rebuilt the sticker using the original lines & shift pattern but with new text. The repro sticker is 5.75" long and turned out pretty nice.

Here's the repro sticker. If you'd like one for yourself just email me your request and I'll send you the high-resolution JPG image.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '60's were when the US Congress first stepped in and began regulating auto safety standards.

The full effects were not felt until 1968, and that is when 99% of the VW Beetles progressive refinements were aimed at meeting those standards.

There must have been some early requirements preceding 1968 though, as we see here Dealers were adding labels for tire pressures as well as shift patterns.

These are from an original '66 sold new in California.
Even though there is a tire pressure label on the gas tank, this was applied to the glove box...

And a shift pattern label on the dash...

A current example of this sort of thing exists in California where we have what was passed by the voters as Proposition 65, and that is to inform the public of potential known health hazards in the workplace, buildings, and cars. So, when you go to any new or used car lot in Ca, you will see a Mandatory Prop 65 warning label applied by the Dealer on the drivers window advising the consumer that autos have components and emissions that are known to the State of California to cause Cancer. As far as I know, this is only done in CA., and there are several different printers who sell the labels in various styles.

I would theorize that in the early '60's that there was some underlying state or federal rule or regulation put into place at that time requiring them. This I believe should explain why there is no standard or factory supplied labels as every state or area had a different source for the labels.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's interesting! Thanks for sharing the history & your theory.

Looking that the Sea Blue sticker it is divided into two separate sections, as shown on the red 1966. One sticker for the shift pattern & suggested speeds and one sticker for the air pressures.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than regulation, I think it was the hoard of new VW owners in the mid-'60s that resulted in the stickers. With so many buyers who had never owned a VW before driving and maintaining them, some dealers probably sought a way to educate the newbies of some of the things that were very different between the VW and the conventional cars of the day. Low revs and funny front tire pressures were two of the greatest differences.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Info Sticker inside 1962-64 Glove Box Door? Reply with quote

The glove box of my 67 Convertible has a sticker on it which looks potentially like the shift pattern sticker above, and I'm looking for a full version I can potentially reproduce. Does anyone have a complete original example?

- Thanks!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Info Sticker inside 1962-64 Glove Box Door? Reply with quote

Wow - minutes later I found the following in the Gallery (looking for "shift sticker" rather than "glove box sticker"). Anyone happen to know where to find this sticker?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Info Sticker inside 1962-64 Glove Box Door? Reply with quote

On my 58 Ghia is a sticker in the glove box door, written in German. European market Ghia.

Ghia On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Info Sticker inside 1962-64 Glove Box Door? Reply with quote

Some dealers must have thought one needed a more convenient guide:

I can't tell you how many passengers have jokingly acted like they would yank this thing off my dash. Some had to have their fingers surgically reattached. Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
estilholliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Info Sticker inside 1962-64 Glove Box Door? Reply with quote

a google search popped this up on ebay..

https://www.ebay.com/i/163145868355?chn=ps
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: