Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carbon Monoxide detector?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Carbon Monoxide detector? Reply with quote

Anyone have a suggestion on the multiple gas detector?

Seen one that does unspent LP/CNG, Carbon mono, etc

I'm using a standard battery operated, but I'd feel better with something that covers it all, even having a backup too.. cant be too sure I guess.

Any best deals on these things, most ideal places to install?

Thanks,

Al
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the nature of the various gases, one unit would not be as efficient as separate. ex. CO high, propane low, ionization detector not quite as high as CO. So far I have 2 and I'm looking for a propane one to mount as low as possible. I think it is one of those cases where a combined one would not be as efficient, effective and safe as individuals. IMHO

Mine are mounted on the rear driver's side closet wall with CO on top and immediately below an ionization smoke detector below. For smoke detector go with the ionization one as it recognizes changes in the air BEFORE smoke is present.

Last edited by DAIZEE on Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one I used. It's a combo LP/CO detector. I don't recall where I ordered it from, but a google search will no doubt find what you're looking for. This is a 12v model that's installed near the rear heater vent under the back bench. I put a simple switch in to shut it off when I'm not using the propane. Even though the draw is minimal, I don't like the idea of using the power aimlessly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trains of thought on both responses, thank you!

A switch is a very good idea, I'm going to definitely do that!

12v CO/LP does appear the way to go!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621, I'm not sure that a CO monitor mounted that low is of any safety value until the van would be filled with CO. It's going to get high real fast and as I said by the time it triggers the low mounted CO alarm, the van would be filled up. I've worked with a lot of COed patients and I'd just not trust your configuration. IMHO. Monitors are one of the items that don't do all jobs well. Better individual monitors unless really really high tech which just wouldn't be affordable. Basically need 2 high (1 of them as high as possible) and 1 low as possible
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
1621, I'm not sure that a CO monitor mounted that low is of any safety value until the van would be filled with CO.

It depends on how close the detector is to the source of CO. CO is lighter than air and raising warm air will take the CO with it but a low-mounted detector can be of help as well, better than nothing. One thing to consider is that we are talking about vans, not houses or big rooms, and there is a lot of ventilation already happening thru a lot of places.

I also have a propane/CO detector mounted almost in the same location as 1621, hardwired to my aux battery in the bench and with a switch as well. Do some testing and see how it works..

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same LP/CO unit as Mad and 1621. I have to keep the sliding door closed during a fill-up, otherwise the fumes set it off. Anyone else have this problem?
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a soleniod cut out version, definitely thinking about which to get and havent made a solid decision on this, but as propex season is to get up here quick, a decision has to be right quick..
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Daizee. You may be correct in stating it should be mounted higher, but I went with the instructions included with the alarm when installing it. It states at least four inches off the floor and no higher than 20 inches. I considered a few other locations, but this one proved to be good based on the instructions, but is by no means the only mounting location. The instructions for anyone interested in this unit can be found at the bottom link. There are other location guidelines contained within as well. Your point made me go back and do more research on CO detectors and the following quote was taken from the wiki page regarding detectors:

"CO detectors can be placed near the ceiling or near the floor because CO is very close to the same density as air.[4][5]"

Wiki page here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_detector

As for filling the propane with the door open, I would expect this to trigger the alarm. I just make certain to keep mine switched off during filling.

https://www.dyersonline.com/lightspeed.php/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/925/
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all of you,

I just bought and received the Safe-T-Alert combo detector.

I would like to ask you this : Why it is a good idea to put a switch to cut off the detector when we are not using propane?

Is it to preserve the detector and make it last for a longer period of time?

Thanks

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maco70 wrote:
Hi to all of you,

I just bought and received the Safe-T-Alert combo detector.

I would like to ask you this : Why it is a good idea to put a switch to cut off the detector when we are not using propane?

Is it to preserve the detector and make it last for a longer period of time?

Thanks

Martin,

Methinks the idea is to reduce the power draw on your aux battery. The detector draws some small amount of power to function. Why have it on when you do not need it? The switch turns it off.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Then, i will put a switch also, to preserve the battery.

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)

Last edited by maco70 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:02 am; edited 2 times in total
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also get oxygen depletion sensors. They work for all gasses but are far more expensive.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with a self contained battery, which alerts me when it needs replacing and it is always on. I also went with the ceiling mount as I sleep in the top 1/2 of the interior. Having worked with CO poisoning patients, I am very surprised re okay at floor level. I stopped in at a Fire Station before I mounted my 2 alarms. Still looking for a propane to put at floor level. I will want it self contained battery also.

I'm very surprised at the floor level approval for mounting but I believe you. Experience is my teacher Wink

ps. the only time I'd have that switch off is when I'd not be using the van. Remember to have it on when driving, especially if people in the back. CO is insidious and you just don't know it's there. Mine is on all the time and the batteries last a whole season and I don't have to remember to turn it on. I drive and sleep with windows open but I sleep more confidently. Just my opinionated opinion Smile
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
I'm very surprised at the floor level approval for mounting but I believe you.

The most probable cause is that it is a dual detector, CO sensor might be OK high or low, but propane sensor clearly needs to be low

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: