Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power door locks ...troubleshooting...please
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Power door locks ...troubleshooting...please Reply with quote

Ok I've searched and searched...and although there is lots of great info here , I can't find what I need
So I pulled my actuators from the doors..i've scrubbed them lubed them and they are all pretty on the bench.
So I have a nice 12v power supply (Ooolld! Shocked trainset transformer)
If I juice the motors now...they just wiz into existance at like 100,000rpm. Very Happy
But if I reinstall them into there actuators, how do I cycle them to see if everything is working right...before re-hanging them in the doors.
..front door units I've tried are not co-operating Confused
...help please..for some reason boggling my mind Shocked
I need to know which wire to anchor my Neg to and which colors to touch my +wire too
thanks
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bench test the assembled actuator, connect brown to ground, and yellow or white to positive. One or the other will start the motor for 180 degree spin on the big gear. Then the other will do the other 180 degrees. If think if you connect positive to the red wire, and then lift or depress the rod, that should also get the motor to spin the gear another 180.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a good start ...i'll be doing that in the am....hopefully I can get them all to spin, and cycle Very Happy
thankyou
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on the subject, if you need master actuators, and have slaves, here is a ten minute trick that VW Parts Counters don't want you to know ...
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenMachineVW wrote:
While on the subject, if you need master actuators, and have slaves, here is a ten minute trick that VW Parts Counters don't want you to know ...

Nice Very Happy I have a few slave actuators spare.
I found with the one on my bench, that the motor is not properly meshing with the little gear...doesn't appear to be worn or damaged ?
tight schedule this morning ...back to it in the pm.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenMachineVW wrote:
To bench test the assembled actuator, connect brown to ground, and yellow or white to positive. One or the other will start the motor for 180 degree spin on the big gear. Then the other will do the other 180 degrees. If think if you connect positive to the red wire, and then lift or depress the rod, that should also get the motor to spin the gear another 180.

Ok everything inside the lock is clean lubed and moving freely, If I connect the wires at the motor terminals it spins strongly.
checked each contact to the plug wire..got power on each individually.
But... connecting power at the plug terminals gives nothing? Confused I tried all the combinations ...even pushed and pulled the plunger ..nothing
Something is stopping this thing from actuating
any ideas....I'm stumped
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the big gear in upside down? The brass on it, in conjuction with the springy contacts in the housing, is used to complete the circuit. Otherwise connect the wires with it opened and start tracing the current with a test light or voltometer.
sbclayton
Samba Member

Location: A place where owning a VW and enjoying life are synonymous

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this post: www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=508771. The possible problem is in the photo at the bottom of the page. The little springs that hold the sliding copper contact bar against the power contacts disappear and cause really wonky behavior.

Enlightenment came when I realized that any time in my life I was having fun, it was somehow connected with owning a Volkswagen.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbclayton wrote:
Check out this post: www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=508771. The possible problem is in the photo at the bottom of the page. The little springs that hold the sliding copper contact bar against the power contacts disappear and cause really wonky behavior.

Ok that ended up being the answer Very Happy thankyou.
As stated in another post, all these actuators are the same except for the red wire...since I have a few extra slave units around, thankyou Jason26.
And every slave I've opened seemed to be in remarkably good condition Shocked
I could simply mix and match the case half's and motors, and plungers, thereby making nice shiney new "master" units from my spare slaves...
Its the masters that suffer all the environmental damage, but usually the contacts and wiring are OK..just need cleaning.
so 2 extra slaves, will give you all the parts to fix 2 masters..hope this is useful to someone.
...Now back to pulling the rear hatch wiring Rolling Eyes
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok another discovery, while working on one of the slaves, that just doesn't seem to operate properly Mad
I discovered that the worm gear on the motor has a flat on the shaft, which slips into a complementary half inside the worm.
..this is to allow the worm a little movement fore and aft.
Well over time, and repeated attempted operation while filled with corrosion...the motor shaft chewed away 90% of the flat inside the worm.
So now you get maybe a 1/2 rotation then the sound of a free spinning motor....give it a tap or cycle the plunger, and you get the same again Confused
The motor turns just enough to let the worm move clear of the flat and you have no drive. Rolling Eyes
I'm gonna try thoroughly degreasing and roughing the worm bore, then lightly lubing the motor shaft and squishing some JB weld in there.
I'll let you know
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: