Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake support bracket
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingsfanrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Brake support bracket Reply with quote

Did a search an found a few threads that addressed my questions, but not all of them. 56 pan with pan halves replaced, a long time ago. The pan halves have only one hole for the bracket, all of the searches mentioned cutting and welding, but can I install the bracket without any welding?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not figure out how,

i didnt want to weld more to the pan after all the primer and finish coat

but really there is more of an issue of welding, the area needing the new weld nut is not flat but on a arc.

So, I made 2 wedges, one for under the pedal assembly and one for under the pan.

I used a weld nut from WW and attached it to a small rod about 1/8" in diameter and welded it to the pan.

Welded both to the pan and had to use a slightly longer bolt

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wanted to turn the weld nut over but was too long.

If i was more patient I would have drilled a larger hole and placed the weld nut up inside and welded it there but, well I was not, am not Embarassed
kingsfanrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was afraid welding was going to be the best option. Why couldn't they have made the Gerson pans when this one was repaired.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Soul Built
Pimpin' Aint Easy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, does anyone know what implications might be created by using a bolt through the support plates and nuts on the underside of the pan?
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soul_VW wrote:
So, does anyone know what implications might be created by using a bolt through the support plates and nuts on the underside of the pan?

Thats what I kinda did. I think it just doesn't look as correct. I ended up welding nuts on the bottom of my floor pans for the bolts to go into.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Soul Built
Pimpin' Aint Easy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
Soul_VW wrote:

Thats what I kinda did. I think it just doesn't look as correct. I ended up welding nuts on the bottom of my floor pans for the bolts to go into.

Did you use a plate under the pan as well or did you rely on the nut/bolt combo for the support?
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a plate as well since I did not purchase the heavy duty WW floor pans.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Hollaway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my pan an cut the dip out of it and welded a flat piece back in, then took a piece of steel, drilled and tapped two holes and welded to the bottom. I need to get some shorter bolts though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GermanRust52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what I used on mine.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1336270
GermanRust52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OvalDash52 wrote:

GermanRust52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OvalDash52 wrote:
OvalDash52 wrote:

GermanRust52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OvalDash52 wrote:
OvalDash52 wrote:
OvalDash52 wrote:

srj1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Brake support bracket Reply with quote

question on this older thread. i have new pan halves installed and powder coated on the oval. i noticed i only have one threaded hole. at least it looks threaded before it was powder coated. does anyone know if this will be ok just to use one support bolt? and, what size bolt is this? thanks for the help. not sure where these pan halves came from either.

J
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake support bracket Reply with quote

srj1200 wrote:
question on this older thread. i have new pan halves installed and powder coated on the oval. i noticed i only have one threaded hole. at least it looks threaded before it was powder coated. does anyone know if this will be ok just to use one support bolt? and, what size bolt is this? thanks for the help. not sure where these pan halves came from either.

J

Not sure. It depends on the pan, tunnel and pedal assembly you have. If it is all Oval’ish, you probably need the double hole retainer plate. It sits on the bottom side of the pan and is welded to the pan. Looks like this. I had to transfer that piece when I restored my current 54 Bug. Check out my thread, page 5.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=80

About half way down.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake support bracket Reply with quote

srj1200 wrote:

J

Go thru your spare bolts and look for ones with 13mm (used after 1960 model year) or the earlier 14mm heads, and test if one of those will fit the hole. Once you have that you will need a tap to clean out the powder coating now in the internal threads. Plus add in threads into the other nut blank of threads. So with the now tested bolt you can go down to your local hardware store to match the bolt to a tap there. Ace Hardware stores usually carry a decent less expensive threading tools, but also a great fastener aisle that have measuring tools out for customers to use to find out what thread size/pitch they need.

Now I am taking the time to write all of this because your floor pan is not out of the VW factory, so no way to know from here for sure if the stock thread pitch/size were even used. Factory bolt I think was 10mm x 1.25 thread. It just might be the same size, but different thread pitch or visa versa.

You can lookup that bolt and a lot more in the original VW dealer parts manual. It is a later beetle manual that also covers 1960 and early 1970s beetles, but still covers most of the oval era parts. Just the exploded diagrams are worth it to look thru there.

Do check out the other great VW info on the first web page in the below link takes you to when you have a chance. For the beetle parts manual for now that is accessible thru the "Upcoming" button at the top of that webpage.

http://www.oacdp.org/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: