Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reflections on a 2000 mile Vanagon trip
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reflections on a 2000 mile Vanagon trip Reply with quote

There is some pertinent information, but also some fluff. Read at own risk.

Left last Saturday morning for a visit with mother in law in NC. Have a 5 year old, so a straight through drive becomes undesirable, and camping makes for a happier Papa anyway.

Blasted off with the newly power planted Thingamajigger at 6 am. Planned stop to camp in Virginia. Now I know many have gone through this, but I have yet to curb my wife's need to pack more than she could ever require, especially with access to a washing machine while in NC. I gave some slack this time, due to need for party clothes while away.

Clutter annoys me, and to remove any of my clutter adding items, I bought a Vanobag from GW. I needed to bring a number of catering items to put on a 70th surprise birthday party for my mother in law. The Vanobag made it all very easy. Linens, service ware, decor, and even my kids scooter and helmet. Packed it full and plopped it up there. Two straps that come with the bag secured it well. The biggest fear I had was rain. We had two straight days of rain the whole ride down and not one drop permeated the Vanobag. Happy with that purchase!

The ride back, we stuffed all the above, my pick and pull finds plus her outlet store purchases in it. And there was still too much of her clutter, but bag still performed well in lighter rain.

I digress.

The ride down was largely enjoyable. I did have on scare on way down while traveling through the rain on the Wash DC beltway, I came upon a few whoopdidoos on a curve. This was the final straw that broke the Weitec/Bilstein back. I started bouncing so bad I thought I was going to lose control and end up in the guard rail. Not sure what will go, but this combo is not long for the Thingamajigger. More than one bottle of water was upturned on the ride due to bounce. Got funny at some points, not so much on others.

As I stated before, the Thingamajigger was loaded full. Water tank and propane filled, wife's dookie filling every orifice, I wanted to get her on a scale (the Thingamajigger, not the wife) but the opportunity did not present itself.

Despite the load, the new Zetec performed beautifully. Power was there, smooth and purred like a kitten, albeit a louder kitten. There seemed to be a bit more audible exhaust sound than I would have expected, but the sound did get the tuner crowds attention when being passed. Averaged about 20 mpg with my foot in it all the time, after all it is new and the novelty has not worn off.

Hate that my speedo is off as much as it is. Wished I had another gear in the tranny, or at least larger diameter tires. Felt I was revving too high at 70 and first gear was almost useless except for the first ten feet. Tires now are 205 Nokkians at 814 revs per mile wonder what 215s at 774 revs per mile would be like, or even a 225?

Driving from Virginia to southern NCwas a breeze. It was raining torrentially, but the traffic morons that exist in the north were more easily avoided. The skylight was leaking no matter what I did, and I later figured that the pop top was sagging at the skylight a bit, so pooling was happening. Will have to determine a course of action for that.

Stopped at a truck stop to have some lunch. Opened the cooler to make lunch because none of us wanted to be in the rain, regardless of how long we had been in van. Had lunch, cleaned up and got ready to take off for final leg. Turned key and . . . Nothing. Not even a click. Sat there, looking out the shield at the torrential rain thinking that this is a fine howdoyoudo. Son firing off questions, wife firing off questions, I just needed a moment to think. Jumped into rain, opened rear hatch and grabbed umbrella from rear part of cabinet. Stood in rain just to hear myself think. Went through series of events, turned key on to hear pump and yes, I do have power. Shut door again to avoid wife's stare and opened hatch. Asked for assistance in removing all wifey's crap from rear, propped up cushion to again avoid wife's stare, and looked for culprit. After about 20 seconds, I found what I was looking for. The ignition wire to solenoid had come off. Probably did not fasten it completely when installing Zetec earlier in week. Satisfied I found the answer, I stood there marveling in my silence for a few minutes. Then asked her to turn her over. She started right up, and I again was a hero in my sons eyes.

Arriving in the Wilmington area at around 3:30, I was driving down 421 and noticed the unmistakeable D pillar of a Vanagon in a pick and pull. I asked the wife's blessing, after all i had been relatively good and had just spent two days driving her to see her mother, and turned the rig around. Plopped my two dollar admittance fee and searched out my loot. What I found was an 89 Whitestar/Wolfsburg and an 85 tin top. I mentally snapped a few shots, and planned a return trip when it was not pouring.

The weeks weather was horrible. Nothing like a week on the outer banks to have a weeks rain. We all made the best of it and had a load of fun. I got a call from wife's uncle one night, so I woke the kids and loaded them up in Thingamajigger at 11pm to go watch a batch of sea turtles hatching and finding their way (protected by the turtle patrol) to the sea. Way cool to have mom living in an area protected as a turtle sanctuary, even better to share with your son, niece and nephew.

On way back, I took advantage of aforementioned bounce and hit the speed bumps in mom's community just right to launch kids into orbit. Uncle LP can be fun too.

The way back was again uneventful, and I liked it. We took the long way through NC avoiding freeways. We did so in parts of VA, but as we got closer to Wash DC, I wanted to ensure we had some light for my son to see the city. We were trying to gauge interest in returning and doing the sightseeing tour with him, but are unsure if he is too young yet to appreciate it. Until later today, I was unsure which city had the worst maintained streets: Wash DC, NYC or Boston. Having travelled two of the three today, and the third on a very frequent basis, I will state that NYC was the worst to travel with the Weitec / Bilstein combo. That really sucked, although Wash DC was not close behind. At least Boston attempts to fill their potholes, they have lots of practice from the big dig.

Stayed in a camp just outside Wash DC in Cherry Hill. It was expensive compard to the state parks i usually stay in, but convenient and had amenities to keep my son busy for a bit while I rearranged wife's stuff to camp again. They gave me a tent site for $40 and I was aside a group of young adults - 2 guys and 6 women. Wink

This morning we got an early start, I wanted to do a quick second run through Wash DC to allow for Bodhi to see more of the monuments. Then we headed back. After a bit I set my kid up with a movie on my laptop. Inverter wasn't working, WTF? Few moments contemplation yielded nothing. Then as of planned, the voltminder alarm goes off. Aux battery not charging. Crap. What's the deal? Step outside to ponder in silence. Then upon returning to the van I notice a fuse on the floor. It's red, and the only red fuse in the box. The fuse that came with the GW aux battery kit. It's melted! The heat going through it was not enough to blow the brass, but enough to melt the plastic? That's not right. That warrants another look.

I think Magellan gets a kickback from NY state. No matter what I did, the gps kept trying to put me over the GWB. At $12 to pass over a bridge, I usually avoid it. But we took opportunity to swing through queens and buy a pail of kimchi.

Rest of trip fairly uninteresting. The Merritt parkway was surprisingly empty for a,Sunday afternoon, but the Mass turnpike was unsurprisingly gridlocked. So I headed west instead of east to my home, picked a few side routes and enjoyed a leisurely back road ride into home base.

6pm we were walking in the door.
1979 miles. Think I have a cv joint going south, but a whole bunch of happy campers.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read! My only beef is no invite during the Zetec install! (not likely, I could have made it)
Glad to hear about the Vanobag -looks great! I sometimes use a big dry bag up there, but that has more room and the price seems very fair too. Kudos to GoWesty on that one. Maybe you could add some pictures of that bag someday - or a new gear review posting might be best.

What are the plans for the suspension?
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points on knowing the weight when going to alter/update suspension.

I think its a worthy mention from anyone here when doing so, or outlining their weight, and what setup they have, and how it works, clearance, tires, good points as well.

How is the Zetec? What sort of mileage do you see from it?

I'd recommend the Nokians.
SpeedoJosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story. What are you thinking for the suspension?
denwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shut door again to avoid wife's stare and opened hatch. Asked for assistance in removing all wifey's crap from rear, propped up cushion to again avoid wife's stare, and looked for culprit.

Laughed out loud at that...the dreaded wifes stare. I got that stare a few days back in 92 degree heat with no AC. Wife: " I though you said the van was perfect, everything working. What's wrong with the AC?" Me: "It does work, it's just not charged". Got 3 stares on that. One from my wife, second from my 4 year old daughter, 3rd from my 9 year old daughter. Held head in shame. Fixed AC this weekend Smile

Sounds like you had a great trip. Is it possible that the anxiety of waiting for the next challenge is a common Westy owner thing? That said, I've never been stranded by the van in 13 years... and the challenges are dropping to zero as each system gets attention in turn.

On the suspension side still stock. Interested in more of your comments on your setup.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed the writeup. Yes, I also need to talk to my wife about the amount of stuff she brings along.

Get rid of the Bilsteins, get Konis

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radiorental has Konis with Weitec springs. He also has 215's and a Zetec. I may have to go drive his to evaluate the differences.

I have always preferred a slightly lowered stance in my vehicles and an appropriate sized wheel for the body, and did this change prior to seeing warnings all over the Samba about this Weitec/Bilstein combination.

Truth be told, if I want to increase the tire diameter I may need to change the springs. The rear is fine, but the front may be too close.

Will look at Radiorentals van and see.

As for the other comments / questions:
I am very pleased with the Nokian entyres. The road noise is minimal, and construction is a great addition for the Thingamajigger.
The Zetec averaged 20miles per gallon at 70mph, but given high revs I think it is capable of better mileage.
Sorry JR for no invite. Actually I did the Zetec install all by myself, at odd hours, so no one got an invite.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice trip report LP. Keep this in mind for your next out of state
trip that your welcome to borrow the red trailer. It's dry,lockable,
and small enough that it doesnt do much to your power. (I
don't feel it at all). Getting it to you would easy and give me a reason
to swing by Bostig.
I am currently messing with some spring/shock combos. I'll let you know
what I find works for me. Might have some "left overs" that I am sure
a good chef could make something out of.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillM wrote:
Nice trip report LP. Keep this in mind for your next out of state
trip that your welcome to borrow the red trailer. It's dry,lockable,
and small enough that it doesnt do much to your power. (I
don't feel it at all). Getting it to you would easy and give me a reason
to swing by Bostig.
I am currently messing with some spring/shock combos. I'll let you know
what I find works for me. Might have some "left overs" that I am sure
a good chef could make something out of.....

Keep me in the loop on your suspension research.
I too have a trailer, but still working on a hitch setup. Was on backburner until I had power of the Zetec to pull it. Its a 5x8 utility trailer I bought for yard use, and to pull my aluminum fishing boat. But if you need a reason to swing by, I may need some assistance with a few test Harpoon ales and some food in the smoker?
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thingamajigger at North Carolina's coastline.

The one afternoon it did not rain.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: