Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1987 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop Rehabilitation Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Adam, how's the exhaust system holding up? Any problems with heat affecting the wiring or coolant bottle?
I've never been completely happy with the stock Bostig exhaust and like the look of your setup.
Did you finish the A/C install?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

71MYSTABOO wrote:
Hey Adam, how's the exhaust system holding up? Any problems with heat affecting the wiring or coolant bottle?
I've never been completely happy with the stock Bostig exhaust and like the look of your setup.
Did you finish the A/C install?

Exhaust set-up is great. Haven't noticed any problems with the coolant bottle or wiring. There is plenty of room for the AC compressor now with the exhaust moved to the driver side of the van.

I think I don't like the glass pack in the set-up, however. Too much rumble for me. Before I learned that my excessive engine noise was from bad motor mounts and not a short exhaust system, the exhaust shop told me that the glass pack, in conjunction with the new muffler and longer pipes, would actually decrease noise. While it may have a little, the glass pack definitely has developed a JDM-esque warble. I'm contemplating replacing the glass pack with straight pipe.......

My ECU slid out of it's nook behind the driver's side tail light and the loom on the wiring harness melted a tad on the muffler. I found it before it did any damage. I have since secured the ECU and wiring harness up better.

No progress on the AC yet. Need to get my ducting sorted out, but seeing as how it's beginning to be fall here in Portland, it will be a winter project.

'87 Wolfsburg Weekender, Bostig Zetec

The rehabilitation of my Van can be found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5949024#5949024
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think I don't like the glass pack in the set-up, however. Too much rumble for me. Before I learned that my excessive engine noise was from bad motor mounts and not a short exhaust system, the exhaust shop told me that the glass pack, in conjunction with the new muffler and longer pipes, would actually decrease noise. While it may have a little, the glass pack definitely has developed a JDM-esque warble. I'm contemplating replacing the glass pack with straight pipe.......

Do you think maybe your muffler is too small?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought of that. We went with the equivalent to what Jim and Brady came up with and I tend to trust them with the extent of research and testing they do.

The rehabilitation of my Van can be found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5949024#5949024
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: van is dialed in mechanically..... Reply with quote

so, first off, happy holidays to all.

next, it's been a while since my last update, per the usual. here's the skinny: I took the van to the good people at VW TEC Shop in Seattle, WA. Ray, Eion, and Karen run a small, honest VW shop and they have a very close relationship with the Bostig boys. I decided to take the van to them to dial in the engine and look at some other things for me as a final wrap-up o the major overhaul on the van.

Long story short, the van was there for over 2 months and Eion has worked his magic. It turns out that I got a faulty flywheel in my kit from Bostig, which was causing the van to vibrate uncomfortably and make a serious racket while under load. The difference is night and day. I feel like I have a brand new van now, and I am elated every time I start it up and pull out of the driveway.

I cannot say enough good things about the family-run VW TEC Shop. Bostig also replaced the faulty flywheel with a brand new one and shipped it out as soon as they could--especially as the tragedy of Super Storm Sandy was just unfolding.

Eion did a bunch of extra work that needed tweaking as well and I appreciate his very meticulous, cautious, and clever trouble-shooting. My only complaint is that the TEC Shop is not located here in Portland.

I am looking forward to the next PNW meet-up so I can show off the van.

A few more things remain, but for now I'm just going to enjoy what feels like a brand new vehicle just off the assembly line--with serious upgrades of course.

rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: just thanks Reply with quote

great picts and progress posts. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray and Eion are definitely top notch, on my part, I'm glad they're located in Seattle Very Happy

Hope to see your van in a meetup one day, looks like you have a very well dialed-up daily driver!

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
VanMurph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-read this whole thread...the transformation is amazing. Beautiful Van!
alobarjp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Wheels and tires Reply with quote

Howdy,

New to The Samba, and stumbled upon your project.

Probably a while now since you've posted, but I like the wheel/tire combo.

Specs on that - spacers, any need to bore out the hub, tire specs, etc., would be greatly appreciated...

I'M A NEWBY (obviously), but admired the rake of your rig.

I just picked up an '87 Wolfsburg, so seems to be a kindred van.

Well done!
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheels and tires Reply with quote

Hey. I sold my van so I don't spend a lot of tike on here anymore.

The tires are nexen n7000. Not sure about size unfortunately, but they are 17".

Wheels are OZ Saturns, 17x8. No boring necessary, just bolted right on. They are ET35. I had an 5mm spacer up front but would preferred to have at least 8 if not 10. Rear spacer was a 25mm spacer (adapter really due to the thickness). In order to push the rear wheels out like that, I had to have the slider hinge modified/lengthened so it would clear the tire/wheel in order to open fully.

Hope this provides enough info for you.

alobarjp wrote:
Howdy,

New to The Samba, and stumbled upon your project.

Probably a while now since you've posted, but I like the wheel/tire combo.

Specs on that - spacers, any need to bore out the hub, tire specs, etc., would be greatly appreciated...

I'M A NEWBY (obviously), but admired the rake of your rig.

I just picked up an '87 Wolfsburg, so seems to be a kindred van.

Well done!

Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop Rehabilitation Project Reply with quote

Should have never sold this van--I called the person who bought it but his number is no linger in service.

Trying to get the photos to load again so I can relive the process.....

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop Rehabilitation Project Reply with quote

Agree, never sell....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Two for me, and one for each of my kids!
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop Rehabilitation Project Reply with quote

Oh man, so jealous! Nice collection.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop Rehabilitation Project Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Agree, never sell....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Two for me, and one for each of my kids!

I look at that photo and see $$ signs.
Not profit in your pocket but a never ending continuous draining of funds.

Nope, one is enough for me!

Glad you enjoy them though.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: