Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me make a water tank
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How to get the water out to clean kids?
Pump?
45%
 45%  [ 9 ]
Pressurize tank?
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
Something else (explain?)
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Forget it, it is a hopeless cause!
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 20

J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: sand Reply with quote

our 2 boys live on the sand beach pretty well all summer so sand in the cottage is a problem. We address it mainly by having a bucket of water outside the door. Feet loaded with sand are dunked in the bucket, swished around and then step into the cottage and onto a mat or towel. This deals with about 90% of the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a belly tank. Going to steal that one. This pump puts out crazy pressure http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-marine-utility-pump-9576.html

I used it on my houseboat lasted 3 years pulling bay water to clean decks.

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronsmithis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloha,
Might not work for you but this is what I made.
Cheers, Ron

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Please don't hate me cause I drive a Eurovan Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

[/img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy this tank:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-Products-Hydroller-8-Gallon-wheeled-water-container/10098756

Then buy a standard camper in tank water pump. I bet that pump draws under 10a is you and use a cig. plug to power it. Rig it all up just like a Westy tank and add a cheapo hand held shower head. Also get/make a slotted wood "mat" to stand on. $60-75 bucks maybe.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrindGarage wrote:
I like the idea of a belly tank. Going to steal that one. This pump puts out crazy pressure http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-marine-utility-pump-9576.html

I used it on my houseboat lasted 3 years pulling bay water to clean decks.

There is a Harbor Freight not far.......the pump is on sale for $30.

Self priming it states. That really true?

NOTE: I *AM* tempted to do the pressure thing....I have a 12V air pump.

After I get some more stuff done, I will stop bench racing this and actually try some stuff!

THANKS!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: water pump Reply with quote

kc8tpr wrote:
Why not get a small windshield washer pump at the auto parts store.
usually 15-20 for some little universal units and can pump enough to give a small stream or a spray.
Blue Bay Bus X2- I use bosch pump $12.00 ebay 6 gal jug works great lots of pressure ,doesn't empty it to quick! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wind shield washer pump, pressurizing the system is asking for leaks
or you could just use a 5 gallon solar shower bag, it rolls up when empty, throw it on the roof to warm up, hang it from the rain gutter when in use, warm/hot water is always more kid friendly if they're cold from the sea

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be making a shower/bike sprayer this winter. I don't have it dialed yet but I I'm close. Still hung up on how to heat water. I kinda want a solar heater that would recirculate back to a tank mounted below. I don't want all the water weight up high.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, you said kids, and I know kids like hot water, not cold.

What about a rollable waterbag, a pump like this one,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006GK6Z2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

and either a Zodi, or a Eccotemp?

I did the 27 gallon waterbag, that pump and the eccotemp, I've yet to connect it, glad to give feedback, its going to be used frequenty for shower offs after biking/hiking when away from civilization, hotels, etc..

A shower tent, is also a nice to have.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have a demand pump than a pressurized system. But what I'd really like to find is a water tank that fits in the spare tire well. Seems like a good use of (in my case) wasted space.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby,
You'll be kicking yourself in the butt every time you run that tank outa pressure.

A on demand water pump will work for you the best---hit the trigger or button on the valve and you get water when you need it.

I had a 27.9 SC Slickcraft.
On the fiberglass swim paltform was a trunk moulded into the transom.
And inside that storage trunk was wash down hose with a push button faucet attached.

When the folks / kids got back onto the boat after swimming in some mud hole on the lake, they would simply grab the wash down hose, spray themselves off, and put the hose back into the trunk.

Pretty simple, not a big battery loss--they aren't taking a 10 minute shower --just cleaning up.

I think this is the best answer, and not really a wallet buster.

I'd be doing some sniffing at West Marine & some other Marine parts outlet's--they will have your answer--even though your tighter than a Wilton Vice--

Good Luck,
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
wind shield washer pump, pressurizing the system is asking for leaks
or you could just use a 5 gallon solar shower bag, it rolls up when empty, throw it on the roof to warm up, hang it from the rain gutter when in use, warm/hot water is always more kid friendly if they're cold from the sea

5 gallon bag is what I used last week. Hung it from pop top latch after the sun warmed it and ran extended hose line from bag to outside slider where we cleaned off the NC sand. Three of us used less than the bags capacity to wipe off entire bodies of sand.

Sure - a pressurized tank is a great conversation piece and appeals to the techie side, but simplicity works for me in this case.

In an extreme case - I took a full shower after the Vermont Tough Mudder using this sun bag, used less than half the bag and I was covered in mud and foul water smell.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go Bobby---

Not quite exactly as I had, but pretty much the same idea.
Hook this flush mount faucet to a on demand water pump--it's self contained & classey looking---

Your not going to be running the battery down with the kids using it as a wash down--

wyomingresident
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't that heavy??? lots of water though...

ronsmithis wrote:
Aloha,
Might not work for you but this is what I made.
Cheers, Ron

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Please don't hate me cause I drive a Eurovan Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

[/img]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking of ways to do this too. what keeps coming to mind is a 5 gallon water tank fastened up in the luggage rack, with a hose attached. still thinking tho.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Here ya go Bobby---

Not quite exactly as I had, but pretty much the same idea.
Hook this flush mount faucet to a on demand water pump--it's self contained & classey looking---

Your not going to be running the battery down with the kids using it as a wash down--

Where is this widget from?????

URL?

TIA.
"Bobby" aka Walt

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boat US.

Search Attwood shower.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

debbiej wrote:
I've been thinking of ways to do this too. what keeps coming to mind is a 5 gallon water tank fastened up in the luggage rack, with a hose attached. still thinking tho.

My roof rack has the solar panel to float my pair of GC-2 flooded cell golf cart batteries. I have plenty of juice with 220Amp hours.

The tank under the van is optimal for me. The self priming $30 pump from Harbor Freight may be my choice.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-marine-utility-pump-9576.html

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Boat US.

Search Attwood shower.

A quick google reveals that at about $100 but many many more variations on the theme are also available.....

More choices, choices, choices

Last edited by r39o on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction;
Just google ;
Aft Deck Shower
It'll pop up all over the place.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: