Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sound systems and a stock alternator
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Sound systems and a stock alternator Reply with quote

Just wondering, I'm running a stock 12 volt alternator. For those that also do, what kind of sound systems you guys running? I'd like to do two speakers in the kicks, two in the doors or on the dash somewheres (I got some ideas...), two in the back, and a very small sub (I listen to jazz, don't need the thumps but double bass is hard to hear). All through an amp connected to an MP3 player (no deck). This too much on the alt? I'm not looking to go big, just want good sound in the front that I can hear over the engine.
Isn't it nice to get to the point with your car when your questions change from making things actually run to talking about superfluous stuff like speakers? Razz Razz Razz
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound systems and a stock alternator Reply with quote

Vinnems wrote:
..Isn't it nice to get to the point with your car when your questions change from making things actually run to talking about superfluous stuff like speakers? Razz Razz Razz

Cool

I've got one with two 200W amps for front kick panels and rear parcel speakers..and a 600W for a 10" woofer...Mechanism-less head unit with remote LCD screen and iPod/USB/AUX control.

Door mounting is hard on the wiring and it also makes the speakers prone to getting wet, there are fiberglass/ABS kick panels available that work quite well and aim the music better.
'73 Bay
(2) '77's
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fiberglass kicks. Was going to put some mid size speakers in them and some small speakers (maybe just tweets) up higher or in the doors. If even needed, I don't know, by Beetle is pretty quite, I doubt I need much. But yeah, doors seem like a pain in the ass to wire nice.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the door mounts, as Chris says they are hopeless in pretty much every respect, a pair of good quality splits in the kick panels is all you in the front for a nice sound field.

A stock alternator will cream that in.
I've run two 600w amps driving my speakers and two 10" subs for years on a stock alternator with no voltage issues.
Did have a 2farad capacitor but found it largely unnecessary.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: