Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hood River to Seattle - Need Route and Sites to See
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Hood River to Seattle - Need Route and Sites to See Reply with quote

I'm leaving for Vancouver Island from Salt Lake City tomorrow. My initial route plan is I84 - Ontario - 20 to Bend - 26 to Hood River.

I'd like to get to Seattle via as much National Park route as possible. I'm looking for any "don't miss" spots a long the way. Any information would be appreciated.

This link is my preliminary plan

http://goo.gl/maps/86lNp

Thanks

Scott
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a reason to go thru Seattle, going 97 up to hwy 20 is pretty awesome. 20 goes right thru the North Cascades National Park.
A highly underrated park, IMO. Mostly because it has so little access and no fancy lodges for photo ops.
There are some really nice short hikes off of 20 that take you into some pretty cool terrain. Everytime I go it blows my mind that it's only 2 hrs from a 7 million people.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I84 - is brutal! I hate that road, 75 mph through Idaho with most people driving about 80-85 and the semis going 65-75. Usually a big head wind too. I used to live in Sun Valley so I am well aware of that route. Climbing up through the Blue Mountains isn't so bad. The speed limit drops to 65 in Oregon. Once you get close to the Columbia River, you will have a massive head wind all the way to Portland especially through the gorge. Another route to consider would be to cut up to Washington at Hermiston Oregon, head towards Yakima through the wine country. Dry and hot and lots of good mexican food! Then at Yakima head up and over the Cascades on Highway 410. You will hit Chinook Pass at about 6,000 and be within what appears to be an arms length of Mount Rainier. Its amazing on top of Chinook. You can also head up to Sunrise in the National Park from there.

If you do go through Portland and head north on the 5, make sure you stop at Mt St. Helans.

EDIT - I just saw your map, never mind about I84 through the blues and next to the River.

Paul
scottjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: I84 Reply with quote

I agree about I84. I've driven it for the past 12 years back and forth from Salt Lake for windsurfing in Hood River. Head winds were definately a pain. Won't be a problem this trip with the new EJ25 2.5L though. Smile

How nutty does traffic get in that area during holidays? I probably already know the answer.

Thanks for the tips.

Scott
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take an hour or two and hike through Smith Rock State Park. You can also camp just outside the park.

Also hit the new Deschutes Brewery in Bend!
http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/locations/brewery

Also nothing fancy at all, but if you need a stop, there is nearby camping at Haystack Resevoir just north of there on the east side of the lake.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=haystack+resevoir&a...r&z=15

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridal Veil Falls outside of Hood River near Cascade Locks.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
dubllyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to take the route along the Columbia Gorge, try the scenic route.

http://www.columbiariverhighway.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historic_Columbia_River_Highway

Wade

vwo60 wrote:
You cannot polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I84 Reply with quote

scottjk wrote:
I agree about I84. I've driven it for the past 12 years back and forth from Salt Lake for windsurfing in Hood River. Head winds were definately a pain. Won't be a problem this trip with the new EJ25 2.5L though. Smile

How nutty does traffic get in that area during holidays? I probably already know the answer.

Thanks for the tips.

Scott

I've got a zetec so I've got enough to power through the wind, but I still take 14 on the WA side if it's light out. Adds 10-15 min and is much less stressfull.
Traffic in the gorge during the holdays won't be too bad. Any route leaving Seattle will suck. As long as you don't hit I5 N or Seattle on Friday afternoon you should be good.
I'm leaving north tomorrow and plan on being at the border by 7
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vista house on the oregon side of the gorge (scenic hiway. they film a lot of tv commercials there)....stone henge replica at Maryhill, WA....charburger in hoodriver or cascade locks yum!!!!
Mt st helens....
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful on the old historic hiway. Alot of it will be closed for re-paving. That includes the roads to Bridal Vail Falls, old hiway to Multnomah Falls, Vista House, and Larch mountain. I read an artical on Oregonlive.com about the closures.

Good luck in your trip!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be tempted to cross at the bridge of the Gods in Cascade Locks and finish the trip on the WA side of the gorge. I think the beauty of the OR side can be best appreciated from hwy 14. And I live here...

Agree about Mt. St. Helens. Don't miss that and don't hurry.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do my best to never take the Oregon side of hte Gorge. 14 is so much nicer. Besides, Boardman OR is a black hole of evil and despair.

To the OP, if you are coming home through the Yakima area on or around Sunday the 16th, check out the Apple Valley VW club's show ans swap in Moxee. It's a fun, laid back, family friendly atmosphere in a very nice little park.
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go through the gorge you could stop in Mosier and check out the Porsches at the Route 30 milkshake shop.

Smith Rocks shouldn't be missed if you're anywhere near Bend, OR off of 97.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: