Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3rd and 4th gear help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: 3rd and 4th gear help Reply with quote

The only thing keeping me from a smooth ride is these two gears. Everything is new. Transmission is rebuilt by Rancho, shift rod coupler is new, new bushing, new clutch, etc. Even pulled the shift rod and removed all the old grease.
Problem I'm having is that it's real hard to shift into third and fourth gear. I can still get into them, but I really have to jam the stick to the right and push up hard. Once it goes into third, however, the shift into fourth is smooth, same with back to third. But putting it back into first or second, it becomes difficult to shift back into third and fourth again. It does this when driving or just parked in my garage.
It goes into gear, no problem. No grinding or anything. It's just moving the stick to those gears is a pain. I adjusted the stop plate the way Everett suggested (second, to first, back to second, tighten down) which is what got the car to shift into all gears without grinding, it's just really hard to move the stick into third and fourth.
I also feel like I have too much 'slack' when shifting in first, second, and reverse. Like, I can simply move the stick up, but I also have more room to move left and move the stick up, if you get what I'm saying. However, no amount of adjust the stop plate seems to fix that or make it easier to shift into third and fourth.
Any ideas? Like I said, it's the last thing keeping me from a super smooth ride. You wouldn't believe how quiet I've gotten the interior. Or how much carpet padding it took to get it that way Razz
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you put gear oil in?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. The blue stuff or whatever the Porsche shops have (was recommended here). Filled it until it started flowing back. I found another thread talking about other getting transmissions back from Rancho and having to put quiet a few miles on it until it would shift easy. That just sounds weird Confused but whatever. I guess it takes a while for fluids to start flowing. I'll drive it around some more and see what happens.
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Rancho supply the nose cone? Sounds like a hockey stick problem.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you mean, Old. I brought my transmission to Rancho and they took it all apart and fixed what needed fixing (can't remember, some stuff needed replacing, not the hockey stick, though). So yeah, they combed over the whole thing. I'm going to put some serious mileage on it Friday because I'm off, I'll see if getting fluids flowing fixes things up like some have said in other threads.
EDIT: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=522129
Thread I'm seeing on this. This makes sense, seeing how my trans sat dry for a really long time in my garage. We'll see Friday what happens. Reminds me of an old Maverick I had bought where it had been in a garage forever and would go into gear until I put more trans oil in it.
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I don't like to leave you guys hanging Smile
Drove it around the blocks a couple times today. Gear shifts are now smooth as butter. Guess it was just dry like that other thread said.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: