Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'91 Vanagon Starting Issues
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdkee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: '91 Vanagon Starting Issues Reply with quote

Hi Samba World,

I've got a '91 Vanagon that has recently developed a starter issue. Over the last couple days when I turn the key to "on" the fuel pump primes as usual but when I turn to "start" there's nothing. No click from the solenoid. After turing the key about 5-10 times the starter will finally engage and it cranks right up. Yesterday though this stopped working so I just had to push it off.

Any ideas as to the cause? With past starters that have a bad solenoid I normally get a click and with a tap can get it free up but since there's no click I'm not positive that this is the issue.

Next step would probably be to remove the starter and bench test it but I won't be back to a place where I can do that for a couple weeks.

Thanks!

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AdrianC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: '91 Vanagon Starting Issues Reply with quote

bdkee wrote:
Next step would probably be to remove the starter and bench test it but I won't be back to a place where I can do that for a couple weeks.

Just give the solenoid's small terminal a tickle with a wire connected to +12v. If the starter & solenoid are good, it'll spin, and your problem's somewhere further back. Ignition switch?

(and I don't s'pose I need to emphasise checking it's out of gear first, do I? No? Good...)
www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using your Bentley Manual...hint, hint, nudge, nudge Wink disconnect the ignition harness under the column, and go thru the jump the connections with a wire procedure. This will rule out or rule in the starter or the ignition switch.
That is where I started before deciding it was the starter. At least
replacement of the starter is easier on a 2WD then it was on my Syncro. Wink Laughing

Oh, and it might not be a bad idea to install a hard start relay, if you do have to replace the starter. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1066289
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new ignition switch is inexpensive, easy to swap for diagnostic purposes (check archives here for that) and a great spare part to carry. The do wear out.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:
Using your Bentley Manual... disconnect the ignition harness under the column, and go thru the jump the connections with a wire procedure. This will rule out or rule in the starter or the ignition switch.

I am not finding that procedure - there is a flow chart at 27.13 tho (??)
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
peaceful warrior wrote:
Using your Bentley Manual... disconnect the ignition harness under the column, and go thru the jump the connections with a wire procedure. This will rule out or rule in the starter or the ignition switch.

I am not finding that procedure - there is a flow chart at 27.13 tho (??)

I don't have my manual handy at the moment. Maybe someone else can jump in here and tell you how to do it. Without knowing which connections are which, it is basically jumping from power wire in, to the wire going out to FP, Starter, etc. Can you make that out on the diagram?

If you can get it to start from the harness connector, that would lead you to the ignition switch being bad.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bdkee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!! I'll get to testing as suggested. I think swapping out the ignition switch sounds like a good starting point and good way to eliminate that. I'll update once as I go.

Thanks again.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the proceedure to jumper the starter via the ignition switch socket. I copied this from a post a while back and can't remember who originally wrote it at this point. Anyway, here goes.......

Ignition Switch Bypass - Jumper Wire Starting Method:

Remove the plastic cover from the steering column and pull the black socket off the bottom of the ignition switch.

Insert a jumper wire between the large red wire and the solid black wire (a bent paper clip works well, but will get hot, so be careful). You should hear the fuel pump run at this point.

If you hear the fuel pump, leave the first jumper (large red to black) in place and insert another jumper wire between the large red wire and the red/white wire. This is your starter wire.

The engine should turn over at this point. If the engine starts, remove the big red to red/white jumper wire immediately. If you don't remove this jumper, the starter will continue to run just like holding the key in the start position.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatvwbusguy wrote:
Here is the proceedure to jumper the starter via the ignition switch socket. I copied this from a post a while back and can't remember who originally wrote it at this point. Anyway, here goes.......

Remove the plastic cover from the steering column and pull the black socket off the bottom of the ignition switch.

Insert a jumper wire between the large red wire and the solid black wire (a bent paper clip works well, but will get hot, so be careful). You should hear the fuel pump run at this point.

If you hear the fuel pump, leave the first jumper (large red to black) in place and insert another jumper wire between the large red wire and the red/white wire. This is your starter wire.

The engine should turn over at this point. If the engine starts, remove the big red to red/white jumper wire immediately. If you don't remove this jumper, the starter will continue to run just like holding the key in the start position.

Thanks Jay! Wink
TOOB Member #15
Brian
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should we change the subject line to "How to Steal a Vanagon"?

Seriously, a useful post and I assume most bad guys are already skilled at this.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would still need the key to defeat the ignition lock to turn the steering wheel. You can start the van without the key, but driving it will be a completely different story.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Last edited by thatvwbusguy on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:09 am; edited 2 times in total
BoneMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatvwbusguy wrote:

Jay, thanks for that procedure, it worked like a charm. Our ignition switch fried just last night. Your timing was perfect!
Thanks, so much.
'85 Wolfsburg Edition Westfalia Weekender, Zetec #36, w/ Peloquin TBD
'83.5 Westfalia, full camper (we'll never forget you)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: