Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

135 HP with a 34PICT?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: 135 HP with a 34PICT? Reply with quote

Recently I saw a sleeper VW on this site...a video...that had like 135 HP with a 34PICT?
I wouldn't mind building something similar. I am finishing up a 1956cc and have some 40 Webers, and also some Kadrons that I could put on it....However that sleeper look totally intrigues me.
Where did I see that and any thoughts...Tuning issues, what dizzy would I run ?

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see how it's possible to get 135hp with such a small carb.

sorry, i call BS.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or a dizzy
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this thread and contact Torben in Germany (Alstrup is his samba name)...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=499235&highlight=pict
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I´m from Denmark

But germany is close by Very Happy

135 hp is pushing it. The restrictor is not the carb but the endpieces. I´m tempted to say that it can not be done with stock end pieces.

120 hp can be achieved with a lot of time to the combo.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im guessing pretty high compression, too.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dizzy crabs riding a dynosourous chasing some 130 horses that are trying to not be lunch.
I agree with the guy from neer germany Shocked , it will take a good bit of work optimizing it and having all the right parts,better end peices,the right heads,cam&exhaust,cc&some crab work.almost any thing is possiable,but why?oh never mind,I should not be asking that with all the stuff I do.
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
dizzy crabs riding a dynosourous chasing some 130 horses that are trying to not be lunch.

Laughing Classic! The mental picture is amazing!! Laughing
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet there might be a few guys around the world that could get 135 HP out of a 34 PICT carb, but it would be a extreamly expensive custom engine and nothing your going to be able to do with over the counter parts.
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Alstrup pointed out - not with a stock manifold assembly, unless it's a blow-through turbo... You just can't flow air through a pipe quick enough.

I was pretty impressed at the 120hp claim, but I am sure this was done with changes to the center section of the manifold and probably end-pieces as well.

Remember when you remove the venturi from a carb you not only harm fuel atomisation, you effectively remove the secondary circuit of the carb. You end up with a two-stage carb as there will not be enough vacuum below the non-existant venturi to pull fuel through the progression ports.

I love to see stuff like Alstrup's - exactly the kind of thing I used to do when I was young - but, like the Kadrons, there comes a point when you just have to face up to the need for a larger carb. It will probably be cheaper, though not quite as fun or satisfying than if you go the modification route and do it all yourself.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you sure it wasn't the guy who went over the top hiding a turbo in his bug? iirc, the turbo piping was run thru the stock airbox via the pre heat tube...i can't seem to find the link

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video I saw showed the engine running on a dyno with the screen in the background....had a lot of power for a single carb...some kind of an engine builder I recall.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four 34s, easy....
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
135 hp is pushing it. The restrictor is not the carb but the endpieces. I´m tempted to say that it can not be done with stock end pieces.
T

Is it possible to have more informations about the modification of the end pieces? i' ve used them with some porting, maybe the rework is also welding and reshaping? or it would be better to build a totally new endpieces with a curved tubing?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Bugpack-Trick-End-Dual-Port-End-Casting-Kit-p/1557-30.htm

these were used back in the 80s, but have just come back on the market. They solve the end casting "problem", so you can focus your efforts on the heads and carb.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the old "Station One" trice ends back from the 70's

When did Bugpack start making them again? They are not in my catalog or listed on their website.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Bugpack-Trick-End-Dual-Port-End-Casting-Kit-p/1557-30.htm

these were used back in the 80s, but have just come back on the market. They solve the end casting "problem", so you can focus your efforts on the heads and carb.

Is that the ones with a large plenum out in the end castings ? and a 1½ish inch inlet ?
I have a set on the shelf. i was going to see how they would perform on a single carburated 2275. but when I saw them with my fingers I realized just how big that plenum is, and decided they were not good for what I needed.

T
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peppe, on the 120 hp 2275 we use stock end castings, - with A LOT of work to them. No they are not welded, but enlarged all the way through. And that is a PITA (pardon my french) to do. It takes about a full 8 hours to do.

I have tried with hand made 32 mm ID endpieces on a 1914, never on a 2275, yet. The 1914 in the set up I did, lost 8 Nm peak torque, but gained 6 hp @ 4400 rpm and had a good deal more power above peak HP. The owner thought it felt more "fresh" and liked it. Did´nt mind the tradeoff of torque for a more nippy engine. The end pieces were also 1" longer than stock meaning that I had 1" longer isolated runners. That helped a good deal on idle quality.
In those days I chased a 1914 100 hp set up, and got it. But ultimately i went back and developed the 90 hp version a little further instead, because the last 8-10 hp were simply too expensive to gain compared to what the average customer wanted to pay for such an engine.

A 2275 - should - pay well for it too, but as said, I have not explored that yet.

T
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hay alstrup theres a guy selling repo trick ends end castings on samba those baby flow a lot of air from 3,000 rpms and up . but they run like crap below 3,000 rpms . i think it can be done 135 hp with a 34 solex carb . but it would not be street friendly in my way of thinking alstrup one could use a holley bug spray carb intake manifold from the 1970s that has a open plenum type manifold . and mount a solex 34 on top of it this would fool the motor into thinking theres a bigger carb feeding it . lol the above worked for me in the 1980s on a dune buggy race car it was a 1600cc motor i ran 14.80s 1/4 mile it had 12.1 CR mallory dizy set up for 14degs intl. all in by 2,500 rpms 32 total i shifted at 7,800 rpm lol some times over 8,000 rpm lol stock crank stock rods stock valve heads DDS end castings it was a lot of fun spencerfvee
Alstrup wrote:

But germany is close by Very Happy

T
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: