Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who Remembers The 80s CAL-STYLE
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the raza has taken the nu look to the automobile. With the transition your traditional lowrider has now been joined by the nu-style of Volkswagen Lo's....
DJ Nacho from Foreign Fantasy provided this photo for a visual of the transition. There's his lowrider with a for-sale sign and a 60 ragtop waiting in the wings. Foreign Fantasy goes back to 1982 so this photo is an authentic early-mid 80s photo...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
But the raza has taken the nu look to the automobile. With the transition your traditional lowrider has now been joined by the nu-style of Volkswagen Lo's....
DJ Nacho from Foreign Fantasy provided this photo for a visual of the transition. There's his lowrider with a for-sale sign and a 60 ragtop waiting in the wings. Foreign Fantasy goes back to 1982 so this photo is an authentic early-mid 80s photo...

60s Muscle Car >>>70s Cal-Look.................70s Lowrider>>>80s Cal-Style!! or what media calls Retro-Cal now.

SIMPLE!!
1966 141 Cabrio. L554 Cherry Red (low mileage)
Owned: All in the 80's slammed & running BRM's,Fuchs,OG Empis w/ big motors & 48IDA's LA Style!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1958 Convertible 151 L349
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkidd wrote:
j8bug wrote:

60s Muscle Car >>>70s Cal-Look.................70s Lowrider>>>80s Cal-Style!! or what media calls Retro-Cal now.

SIMPLE!!

LMAO,,, You can't even pronounce it right. Its Resto-Cal or Resto-Custom and in some cases ive even seen Cal-Resto. I was talking to Frank Ochoa earlier today cause i got word his red rhd vert was on the cover of SuperVws in the late 80s. He confirmed it and said that he's getting that same car road worthy and said "Im planning on making some changes but its still gonna be CalStyle". Every generation has a lingo that they identify with, so atleast now Ill be able to have conversations with people that are coming back and not feel so old or worse yet, a martian.
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
vwkidd wrote:
j8bug wrote:

SIMPLE!!

LMAO,,, You can't even pronounce it right. Its Resto-Cal or Resto-Custom and in some cases ive even seen Cal-Resto. I was talking to Frank Ochoa earlier today cause i got word his red rhd vert was on the cover of SuperVws in the late 80s. He confirmed it and said that he's getting that same car road worthy and said "Im planning on making some changes but its still gonna be CalStyle". Every generation has a lingo that they identify with, so atleast now Ill be able to have conversations with people that are coming back and not feel so old or worse yet, a martian.

Hahahaha!! That's what I mean, I never used the term or anyone in my circles did back then.....use Resto-Cal or Resto-Custom or Retro-Cal or Cal-Resto or what ever the media is calling it now.............It was simply called CalStyle back in the 80's, sure there was Vintage Calstyle in my circles but whatever the LA neighborhood it always had the term "CalStyle" in it.
Owned: All in the 80's slammed & running BRM's,Fuchs,OG Empis w/ big motors & 48IDA's LA Style!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome stories. I have another one to add:

We all had our secret stashes (people we would buy stuff from) There was an older gentleman named Bob, that lived up in the hills of El Sereno off Ithaca, he had worked at Century VW when they were open in Alhambra as a body shop man. When they shut down, he bought their used inventory. We would go every so often when we had cash to buy stuff for our rides. My brother picked up a W decklid from him for $20. I bought a set of notchback fenders with Red flats for $40, we even got a tool box for $50. He never wanted to show us the NOS stuff, but we saw it anyways. He had NOS Ghia and 356 complete fenders and parts. He even ahd Empi steering wheels and Univent sets for type 1 and type 3. Some Yahoo who shall remain nameless, alerted Russ from Russ's recycling and Russ picked up the whole loot for around 2K. At least that's what Bob told us.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Awesome stories. I have another one to add:

We all had our secret stashes (people we would buy stuff from) There was an older gentleman named Bob, that lived up in the hills of El Sereno off Ithaca, he had worked at Century VW when they were open in Alhambra as a body shop man. When they shut down, he bought their used inventory. We would go every so often when we had cash to buy stuff for our rides. My brother picked up a W decklid from him for $20. I bought a set of notchback fenders with Red flats for $40, we even got a tool box for $50. He never wanted to show us the NOS stuff, but we saw it anyways. He had NOS Ghia and 356 complete fenders and parts. He even ahd Empi steering wheels and Univent sets for type 1 and type 3. Some Yahoo who shall remain nameless, alerted Russ from Russ's recycling and Russ picked up the whole loot for around 2K. At least that's what Bob told us.

Man!! I think that's the guy I bought some NOS Euro Ghia tail-lenses from. Did he have a primered Oval window? My homie Rene was seeing a girl that lived near Copeland at that time & He took me to this guy that I can't remember his name but lived in the hills and had some VDub hard to find parts.
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
stede
Samba Member

Location: Buckeye,AZ by way of El Sereno Rifa, Sur Califas 13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That old man worked for Trans Oceans Motors in Pasadena. Me and the Homie Rey where always up there getting stuff from underneath his house. I still have a all metal roof rack and OG Porsche Alloys from him.
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
I had never heard those terms (Resto-Cal, Resto-Custom, Resto- this and that) before either Eh?. On another 80s thread here on Samba, SKIM said it point blank recently "Whats known as Resto Custom now was definetly started in Los Angeles in the early to mid 1980's"... My personal opinion on that. When it comes to art, Ill take the word from the streets anyday over the stuff the old guy behind the desk is trying to feed us, period :!: .. The word on my streets from the guys that were putting the style together in the early 80s was "CalStyle"...

Skims own words. (About halfway down the page.) I dont know who is going to dispute that, The guy knows his STUFF!!!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...highlight=

Here's a jaw dropper. As I mentioned before when it comes to art whether its cars, music, whatever, Whats going on in the streets is what ultimately matters to me and not what some old guy behind a desk is pushing. This is precisely why> The Bucket wrote on 80s/90s custom thread; "Whatever happened to the oval bug with a bus from the door back? It was used on the subscription cards back in the day. I saw a brief write up with pics showing it fresh out of paint on earlies! Then nothing..." Shocked http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...highlight=
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I used to talk to people about the 80s they looked at me like a crazy. Now i see why, ^^^ .. Thats probably the vision of 80s VDubs in peoples minds, far-out custom shit! Not in L.A.!!!
preciador6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Class of 93 Ganesha High Pomona Reply with quote

I had a 1964 purple chop top bug..man the good old days!! we had to pitch in and gas up at am/pm with like 3 bucks and jack a magazine and cruzed all night Holt Blvd at The indoor Swap meet in Pomona on Sundays listening to Disco & DJ Quick "TONIGHT"

Last edited by preciador6 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:33 am; edited 3 times in total
vwkidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Class of 93 Ganesha High Pomona Reply with quote

david preciado wrote:
I had a bug 1964 chop top man the good old days!! we had to pitch in for gas at am/pm with like 3 bucks we cruzed all night Holt Blvd at The indor Swap meet Sundays.listening to Disco or DJ Quick "TONIGHT"

Any pics?? Yeah I remember filling the tank, buying some gum from the gas station, cruising all night, hitting Tommys for burgers after & having some money left over with only 10 bucks!! Man have times changed!!
1959 Convertible 151 L41
1955 Convertible 151 L41
1966 KG Convertible L456
1967 KG Convertible L41
1959 117 Deluxe L451
djnacho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank ochoa from ochoa brothers if yes I know him he's working on some of my carswith from conversions on a Chevy blazers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, same one, now in Ontario Calif. He was from my neighborhood I grew up in. When he moved to Ontario in 87 i saw him drive his red rhd vert 6 days a week to L.A to work, with a big motor. Those were the days when a bug was your daily, your everything...
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j8bug wrote:
A guy PMd me asking why its not a cal look thread. This thread is about an entirely different scene. This thread is about what took place in the streets of L.A, ELA and some of SGV and it revolved around the L.A. party scene of the 80s. It would be disrespectful to call it a cal-look thread and im sure the cal-look police wouldnt appreciate it especially since our cars were different. Thats not to say there werent any calloookers in L.A. because there were. Im not going to claim to have been in the middle of the V-DUb scene either because i wasnt. I was in the middle of the L.A. party scene of the 80s and we drove v-dubs, lots and lots of v-dubs. Playing american legion ball and city ball in the mid-80s it was also obvious to me that the the V-dubs from the south bay, lakewood, long beach, orange county, la mirada etc were different then what you would see around the L.A. city schools. i started this thread because everytime I read magazine stories of the 70s cal-look , the friends, the schools I reminisced about our scene, our bugs, our friends our schools and of course our spots. Our scene never got documented. I dont even think we thought much of our scene, we just knew it was fun and it was nothing more than everyday life. No one was coming into latino neighborhoods to document a bunch of teenagers in bugs chasing the happening spots. That was reserved for the lowrider culture. They made movies and plays of that stuff. The terms resto-custom, cal-resto, resto this, resto that didnt exist back then. I went to 3 different high schools in the L.A. area and the term most frequently used was Cal-Style. Every neighborhood had its own players, a slightly different lingo but by nightfall it seemed like our entire generation converged onto what seemed to be the same spots and stay out till 3 or 4 in the morning. It seems unreal and probably wouldnt fly today. I re-read this thread and realized only 5 other people actually lived this experience, EA57RHD, ALLWAGONS, VWKIDD, TWIN WINDOWS, FUELRAGS. Where is everybody???

I guess I was wrong! Lowrider was coming in. They obviously noticed the lowrider culture starting to fade away and a bunch of party kids in Vdubs having the time of their lives. Good Job Lowrider, you just made our job 10 times easier Applause
djnacho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell him to call me
nacho (213)219-2084
Thanks
Me and frank we're from a roller Pigeons club
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, ill call him tomorrow..
djnacho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok cool
thanks
preciador6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you post a picture in here?[/img]
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
preciador6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 65 of 89

Jump to: