Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72-74 heat exchangers found for cheap
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: 72-74 heat exchangers found for cheap Reply with quote

Ok, I thought these would be the ticket to take care of my exhaust woes. My 76 westy with a 78/79 engine presents a bit of a conundrum when trying to replace exhaust parts, therefore, the PO put Monza 4 tip on. Foolishly, I jumped on these 72-74 heat exchangers before thinking about the extras I'd need to retrofit them to my engine.

Please, outbid me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...2419765563
WAVEPIMP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: 72-74 heat exchangers found for cheap Reply with quote

Just a thought. would these 72-74 heater boxes bolt up to my 78 2.0l motor thts in my 78 bus? If so what all would I need to get this to work.

My heater boxes are looking tatered and I was thinking maybe the 72-74 would work. That way I could use a different exhaust system with my lowered bus. It seems you would also get more flow out of these heater boxes with a extractor exhaust, then the stock ones that are on it now where the two ports combine and have one exhaust port per side.

Any suggestions guys?

Laters James
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: 72-74 heat exchangers found for cheap Reply with quote

This was forwarded to me in an e-mail about putting those on my 78/79 engine

additional parts to install 72-74 heater boxes:

left and right 72-74 lower tin
left and right heater valve pipes, between the box and valve, 72-74 or 79 Fed
left and right front lower tin, left is 72-74 and 79 Fed, right is 79 Fed only
left and right pipes for the blower fan, 72-74
alternator support between fan housing and right heater box, 72-74
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: 72-74 heat exchangers found for cheap Reply with quote

You will also need:
72-74 lower tin
72-74 or 79 heater pipes between the box and valve
72-74 or 79 Fed version left front lower tin
79 Fed version right front lower tin
[or 72-74 if you cover up the square hole where the heated air goes to the air
cleaner]
72-74 alternator support
72-74 heater pipes for the blower fan
lindsaymullins@earthlink.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: 72-74 heat exchangers found for cheap Reply with quote

What was your max bid. I actually need these exact ones and would love to outbid you.

Grant
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: 72-74 heat exchangers found for cheap Reply with quote

I think it was only a dollar away.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: 72-74 heat exchangers found for cheap Reply with quote

now, if i was a real prick, i'd start bidding... luckily, i'm not a real prick.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: 72-74 heat exchangers found for cheap Reply with quote

at the price you first posted this thread at, I'd say that's a creative advertising ploy amongst friends! Wink
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lindsaymullins@earthlink.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: 72-74 heat exchangers found for cheap Reply with quote

i missed it. I think I got shilled though. oh well. anybody got some good used heat exchangers? Can you repair h.e.'s? My pass side just has a spot on the side where the seam of the metal has come apart. Can I patch this or seal it up with high temp permatext? Thx.
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: 72-74 heat exchangers found for cheap Reply with quote

Good question...can it?
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: 72-74 heat exchangers found for cheap Reply with quote

I have had several heat exchangers repaired at a local muffler shop with a wire feed welder or brazing rod. They can be welded up like any other metal, but the welder needs to be skilled enough to weld the thin gauge metal. An auto body shop should also have the equipment and someone with enough skill to fix them. Make certain to degrease the exchanger COMPLETELY before you take it to be fixed. When oil and grease are heated and smoke a lot the shop will probably decide your exchanger too much hassle to work on. I generally pay about $10-$15 to have the ends welded and sealed with very good results. Good luck.
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: 72-74 heat exchangers found for cheap Reply with quote

By the way, COMPLETELY degreased means the inside also. Let the exchanger soak in degreaser and use the high pressure wand at a car wash to get the inside really clean. This will also help eliminate the smell of oil when you turn on the heat inside your bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: