Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Middle Seat Questions
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Middle Seat Questions Reply with quote

I picked up a full middle for my '66 and am getting around to covering it.
The seat I bought has no cardboard backing, just the frame. I've sourced the backing material, but I'm not sure how to install it. Any tips would be appreciated.

Also, I have an ashtray with a backing plate. How does one go about installing it? Would there be a separate plate that would fit between the cardboard backing and the seat cover material? Or do you simply rivet the backing plate on top of the material and into the cardboard? Sorry if these questions seem naive, but I don't want to make any mistakes.

A final question deals with installation of the grab handles. I'm assuming that after the seat is covered, I would carefully trim away the upholstery (exacto knife?) in order to insert the bars into the seat tops. Again, any tips would be greatly appreciated.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Middle Seat Questions Reply with quote

jazzed wrote:
I picked up a full middle for my '66 and am getting around to covering it.
The seat I bought has no cardboard backing, just the frame. I've sourced the backing material, but I'm not sure how to install it. Any tips would be appreciated.

Also, I have an ashtray with a backing plate. How does one go about installing it? Would there be a separate plate that would fit between the cardboard backing and the seat cover material? Or do you simply rivet the backing plate on top of the material and into the cardboard? Sorry if these questions seem naive, but I don't want to make any mistakes.

A final question deals with installation of the grab handles. I'm assuming that after the seat is covered, I would carefully trim away the upholstery (exacto knife?) in order to insert the bars into the seat tops. Again, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Having just done the same thing to a Bay window 1/3 2/3 middle seat, I can make a recommendation that may be helpful. I used 1/8' tempered hardboard and cut it myself to fit. The backing screws in at the top of the frame, actually just underneath the top frame section. See this photo. There is a enclosed black piece above the frame rail....there is a foam piece that goes on top of that, and then it has a tab that runs the length to screw into, so the backer is recessed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As for the ashtray, use can cut the hole in the hardboard before hand, and then cut a slit in the middle of the opening, then one cut each to the corners of the opening. Do you have the backing plate only or the whole insert, because if you have the whole insert, it has wings and you do not need the backing plate using the hardboard.
Is the grab handle on that goes on the back of the seat, or on top?
Any photos you can provide will help.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response. It seems there is a difference in the way the backing was attached on bay vs split middles. My seat is circa 64-66. As the photo shows, there doesn't seem to be anything to attach the backing to. There are no holes at the top of the frame, except those designed for the grab bar set screws. I wonder how VW attached the board? I could do it with pop rivets, but would prefer to attach like they did at the factory.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: