Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zetec in Tacoma, WA
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chatski
Samba Member

Location: Currently Columbus, GA. Will likely change often and with limited notice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Zetec in Tacoma, WA Reply with quote

Being in Small Car's backyard, there are no shortages of Subie swaps to check out, but I was wondering if there is someone local with a Bostig conversion? I'm looking at my engine swap options, and would like to check them all. If anybody has a Zetec dropped in their Westy or Vanagon, and would like to take me for a spin in it, I can promise you ice-cold refreshments. Shoot me a line here, or [email protected]

'86 Westfalia GL "Gertrude" (2010-present)
'86 Westfalia "Squatch" (2012-2015)
'89 Vanagon Carat "The Grizz" (2013-2015)
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiomon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out the guys at Peace Vans. They are in Seattle, but i know they have done some Bostig work, and could point you to a few customers.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Northwesty. Kirk showed me my first Sambaru install about six years ago. There are probably quite a few genuine Volkswagen to Volkswagen engine swaps around, as well. You owe it to yourself to try a TDI and a 1.8t, which are in my estimation the best of the best.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tec Shop in Northgate sells and installs lots of zetecs. Ray is a very nice guy and will answer any questions you have.

My Van syncro conversion/restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535730&highlight=black+diamond
bandjstewart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up in Woodinville with a Zetec Turbo.

Send me a pm if you would like to check it out or if you have any questions.

Thanks.

John

1986 Westy Weekender Syncro w/ (was Supercharged, now Turbocharged, soon to be Supercharged again) Bostig Zetec.
1977 Pinzgauer 712K.
1991 Volvo 780 Bertone
Square cars are awesome.
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since VW->VW conversions were mentioned...

Bellevue with a tencentlife waterboxer.
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandjstewart wrote:
Up in Woodinville with a Zetec Turbo.

Send me a pm if you would like to check it out or if you have any questions.

Thanks.

John

I've driven johns van....and shortly thereafter put a zetec turbo into my westy. You should go drive it.

I'm also trying to figure out why half the responses were for other conversions when the OP clearly mentioned zetec.
Brungeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those of you with turbo's, did you run the vans without for the 10k Bostig suggests? what was the difference in performance with the turbo? How did it affect your vans drivability?

(please don't think this is a stupid question, I am trying to figure out if there is some issues with my zetec or it is just the nature of a small engine in a heavy van, but it seams like there is a 'lull' in the mid range and wondering if i should pony up when I can and do the turbo or if I can get the 'lull' take care of through tuning)
71 Baywindow RIP
1972 Super RIP
1969 Bug RIP
1974 Super RIP
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brungeman wrote:
those of you with turbo's, did you run the vans without for the 10k Bostig suggests? what was the difference in performance with the turbo? How did it affect your vans drivability?

(please don't think this is a stupid question, I am trying to figure out if there is some issues with my zetec or it is just the nature of a small engine in a heavy van, but it seams like there is a 'lull' in the mid range and wondering if i should pony up when I can and do the turbo or if I can get the 'lull' take care of through tuning)

I would talk to Jim about it. Considering stellar customer service comes with the kit.
That being said. I was very pleased with the power in a 2wd westy like yours. And I would say your issue is either tuning or gearing (tires)
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williamtaylor33 wrote:

I'm also trying to figure out why half the responses were for other conversions when the OP clearly mentioned zetec.

From the OP:

chatski wrote:
I'm looking at my engine swap options, and would like to check them all.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Brungeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williamtaylor33 wrote:
Brungeman wrote:

I would talk to Jim about it. Considering stellar customer service comes with the kit.
That being said. I was very pleased with the power in a 2wd westy like yours. And I would say your issue is either tuning or gearing (tires)

It seems as if it is intermittent? Sometimes it seems like there's extra power others it has a lull. I am going to contact them when I get a chance. I will probably have to take a data log etc. Thanks for the response, was the turbo difference that noticable?
71 Baywindow RIP
1972 Super RIP
1969 Bug RIP
1974 Super RIP
NC Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lull huh? it is 16 valve after all and really starts pouring it on around 35-3700 rpm imo. that being said, I think your engine is fine-make an engine file via the powerflash x3 and send it to Jim
I think the transmission can't realistically handle much more power than the 120 HP's it spits out-honestly-have you seen how many tranny fail threads there are out there for the 2.5 and especially the h6? maybe you can push 150-165 hp via turbo for a while?
Any Zetec owners have good tips for lowering header pipe ambient temps via engine cover?
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2wd Zetec turbo. I did run about 10,000 miles first but
I also started with a factory new motor. I don't recall their
ever being a lull in its power band. Having the turbo especially
with the latest tune it's got power from start to redline. It's really
fun to drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ak_runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite Tacoma but Daryl at AATransaxle in Duvall not only has one but installs them. His is in a Westy Syncro and has a turbo. Give him a call.

Mark
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NC Dude wrote:
A lull huh? it is 16 valve after all and really starts pouring it on around 35-3700 rpm imo. that being said, I think your engine is fine-make an engine file via the powerflash x3 and send it to Jim
I think the transmission can't realistically handle much more power than the 120 HP's it spits out-honestly-have you seen how many tranny fail threads there are out there for the 2.5 and especially the h6? maybe you can push 150-165 hp via turbo for a while?
Any Zetec owners have good tips for lowering header pipe ambient temps via engine cover?

I've read that heat, not HP kills transmissions... Although, that would only be true to a point. Wink
I've ceramic coated headers to reduce external heat issues. I don't know the exact percent of reduction, some claim 10% but....if you like shiny, it's a bonus! Laughing
chatski
Samba Member

Location: Currently Columbus, GA. Will likely change often and with limited notice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the replies. I've gotten a couple of PMs also, and as I'm able to get out and around I'll hit you guys outside my area when we can meet up. Thanks again for the help. TheSamba never disappoints.

'86 Westfalia GL "Gertrude" (2010-present)
'86 Westfalia "Squatch" (2012-2015)
'89 Vanagon Carat "The Grizz" (2013-2015)
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ak_runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have picked up talking to Daryl at AATransaxle and others in the field Syncro transmissions can handle up to approximately 200hp but above that they start breaking various parts. As I understand it Daryl and a few others are comparing notes and working on identifying the parts that break to see if there is a way to improve them. I do not know what the 2whl dr transmission can handle as I don't have one and have not discussed them for that reason.

Mark

NC Dude wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: