Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shasta Snow Trip Official Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 334, 335, 336 ... 451, 452, 453  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou V. wrote:
I can lend a hand. I have rebuild kits for 67 only master cyclinders original FAG.

Sweet, Thanks Lou! You know, my bus is in Shingle Springs.
unclespanky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need the Gay window push rod if you use the wolfgang adapter for Gay MC. Mt. Shasta is still there. Just got back last night. Pre ran the course on a Honda trail 70 and a 77 Yamaha GT 80. A bus has better suspension...............
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what route are you taking us on this year, Spanky?

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclespanky wrote:
I think you need the Gay window push rod if you use the wolfgang adapter for Gay MC. Mt. Shasta is still there. Just got back last night. Pre ran the course on a Honda trail 70 and a 77 Yamaha GT 80. A bus has better suspension...............

nope.......you use all stock hardware from your split bus the spacer puts everything in the right place Cool you will need to find a beater pedal pan to cut room for the master because it sits back farther

was just wondering this morning how the fires this summer have effected the back country of Mendocino & Trinity counties, there is a big one that just started around Hayfork a few days ago
68 fastback
73 Thing
74 Thing
54 chevy 210
63 mercury meteor wagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unclespanky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww Thank you for setting that straight MR. Chrome!! I have the Wolfgang spacer kit and a couple NIB Bay MC's. I was slacking on the install because I thought I needed the longer pushrod. Lost the brakes in another bus a while back. I'm getting (am) to old for single circuit Masters in Busses, my heart can't stand all the excitment.
unclespanky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NorCalRiviera"]And what route are you taking us on this year, Spanky?[/quote

Hell Taylor, I'd have to think about that. I would however, have the event finish in Tennant, where I have my own personal Bus Super cross track. I'd like to see Lou's Pamper clear my doubles!!!! Shocked
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, Spanky! I think we'd all be there with cameras rolling!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrome wrote:
you will need to find a beater pedal pan to cut room for the master because it sits back farther

It was hard enough finding ANY pedal pan. I got lucky and found one the other day. Im gonna see if i can rebuild my 67 master. On the progress front, i gutted the camper interior today. Next step is to put the big nut in. as soon as i make a little more progress, ill start a build thread. pics o plenty Cool
chrome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalmike wrote:
chrome wrote:
you will need to find a beater pedal pan to cut room for the master because it sits back farther

It was hard enough finding ANY pedal pan. I got lucky and found one the other day. Im gonna see if i can rebuild my 67 master. On the progress front, i gutted the camper interior today. Next step is to put the big nut in. as soon as i make a little more progress, ill start a build thread. pics o plenty Cool

55-66 pedal pans were the same, 67 pedal pans had a dimple stamped into it for clearance of the longer master cylinder
if you use the adapter ring and the 71 master, one of the lines come out at a downward angle
bet a skilled metal fab person could heat stretch or add the room needed to keep the pan closed up i cut mine with the thought of fixing it at a later time, its been a few years now and........
68 fastback
73 Thing
74 Thing
54 chevy 210
63 mercury meteor wagon
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I finally bought myself a Sasqwatch (yes, the Bigfoot-foot shaped watch). And I emailed the company with a question, mentioned the SST to them, and received this in reply.

Quote:
I added a black and green case for you to change colors when you want. For when you're on the road and the mood hits for "evergreen" or "charcoal". Thanks for your order and have a great trip!
Smile Yolie

P.S. If you tell all those other bus travelers to purchase, I'll send them 2 for 1. How's that?

norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice!
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurking from the desert over here...

Kick down and show us a picture of what this "Sasquatch" looks like.

On dangerous big animal news: many of my fuelers are from Napal and tell of the Yeti and how they were always taught to not hike alone or they would be eaten... The fuelers from Kenya just talk about getting their faces eaten off by Hyenas.

Let's see that Sasquatch thing...
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider it seen:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koo-koo looking watch, but hey, I wanna dress up in an alligator costume for Halloween too. Did you photo shop that to get the back drop of Willow Creek?
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Genuine picture from their site.

NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Genuine picture from their site.

kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the 2013 Mt. Shasta Snow Trip preparations begin!

The Trip this year kicks off January 31st through February 3rd, Super Bowl Weekend, which still gives you lots of time to mechanically prepare, repair, organize and pack. This thread is for inquires, comments, photos, videos, progress reports or drivel about the trip or it's people.

Drivers Beware

I'm pleased to have you investigating the trip this year, however, you must assume the risks in the adventure before you. While participating, you may crash and kill everyone in your bus.

This adventure is an exclusively pre-1967 VW Bus journey from lower Mendocino County to Mt. Shasta City via up to 450 miles of dirt and paved back roads. The trip's "off the grid" routes have reduced (not eliminated) the probability of a fatal accident involving another car with it's remoteness, however, it brings fast to the forefront numerous other, more exciting ways to die, like: flying off cliffs, hitting trees, live stock, or being run over. If someone does hit another car, it's going to be a head- on; reduce this serious risk by skirting the right ditch or cliff around blind turns. Successful drivers will traverse half a dozen mountain passes, sometimes dozens of streams and miles of fire roads, but only with if they can demonstrate solid driving skill, mechanical ability, and the longevity to keep a brisk pace.

The dangers of the adventure are not just limited to vehicular accidents. Merrily, we all -by willfully coming along- invite injury and death by way of burning, asphyxiation, drowning, animal attack, heart attack and… hypothermia –if not by the elements, by way of our OEM heating -to name a few. Threats to you and your vehicle shall be based on your own judgment and ability to drive, not the passable roads over which you shall willingly travel. Participation in this trip is at your own physical, psychological and mechanical risk.

Background and Concept

The Mount Shasta Snow Trip was initially conceived from the 2000 mid- winter crossing of Mendocino Pass from Willows to Covelo via the very snowed-in Hwy 162 in a stock, 6 volt 1965 VW single cab. Being programmed for survival by -and recently separated from the USMC- had me looking at this trek militarily. Ready for my own personal war, I prepared. Before setting out on this trip, I inspected and practiced installing the old style chains I was to use and had confidence in them. If I broke a chain, I had repair links. If I tossed a set of chain rubbers, I had a second set and trucker's bungee cords. If I punctured a tire, I had plugs and a full air tank. If I blew a tire, I had a spare, and another one just in case. If the six-volt battery went dead, I had an auxiliary twelve-volt and cables to jump with. If I got struck for some reason, I had a fifty-foot cable and a come-along. Additionally, I carried a floor jack, my full tool box, ten gallons of gas, a fire extinguisher, three quarts of 20/50, food for a week, warm clothing including gloves, good rain gear, military mummy bag, two flashlights, propane lantern, comprehensive first aid kit, camera, HAM radio, cellular phone and most importantly, a Delorme Atlas and Gazetteer. If all my contingency planning wasn't enough and the truck got thoroughly stuck, I still had either of two dirt bikes in back I could ride out on.

It turned out to be a war too, an amazing, completely crazy adventure that left me both exhausted and invigorated at the same time. When it was all done, I decided that others should be able to experience something like this; to enjoy these most remote and amazing back roads and the related contingency planning not ordinarily required in normal driving.

Fortunately, you'll not likely experience all the insanity, problems and emotions I did with this "out of the box" type adventure, but that you're here, reading this now, is near-proof that I have succeeded in making a little of this chaos and fun more available to the people. Thank you for showing interest, the weekend's challenges should offer memories -and lessons- for a lifetime.

Stay focused, remain vigilant, obey logic and be good to one another. I really hope you can make it.

Brian

www.shastasnowtrip.com -Richard's SST website: MPG videos, pictures and trip reports
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/shastasnowtrip/ -alternative SST Forum
www.backroadbus.com -Gene's amazing bus adventure website
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USMC taught you well, as your back-up equipment and mind set for your first trip shows. I have been following the Shasta trips for quite a few years and they seem to get better each year, Iam perpared for this years trip, even if it is from this side of the computer screen. Smile
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy that Bill, nice to have a fan out there! Let's see if we can get you motivated to come on out this year! Let's start with some Youtube driving studies... come on! Get that helmet ON!!:

Link
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team Trails End officially declares its intention to tackle the 2013 SST!

And I see we got moved to the Split Bus forum!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 334, 335, 336 ... 451, 452, 453  Next
Jump to:
Page 335 of 453

Jump to: