Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LA Auto Show Thing..all original?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: LA Auto Show Thing..all original? Reply with quote

Hey guys...I have long time customer that just contacted me about a VW Thing that he has in his collection. he is the original owner, here in California and the Thing he has is supposedly one of the Things that was on display at the Los Angeles Auto show when the cars were new. It is absolutely loaded will all the really odd original accessories...the boobie bumpers, strange wheel covers, rear mounted spare, hard top with roof rack, center console, fog lights, The Thing graphic on the passenger side of the back end and more. When I first saw the photos I thought the thing was attacked by the Pep Boys in 73...it is pimped out!

Anyway...are there any photos of the Auto Show from back in the day out there? I really want to document his story and that of the car! Any ideas?
951-795-1175
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's time for a road trip
dagimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm. My guess that local newspapers would have covered the event. They probably ran pictures of the cars that were in the show. Because the Thing was new then, my guess is that you have a pretty good shot at finding at least one picture of it. It may take some (a lot) of research but it's doable. All newspapers have archives, some online, most not. A LexisNexis search would also be helpful to find which papers ran stories. Good luck!

1973 Orange VW Thing, "Otto".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Local papers Reply with quote

That is a great idea on the local papers...I will climb up that tree and see if there is any fruit...I had not thought of that...thanks!
951-795-1175
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pbotsonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you post pics?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Ive just got print photos of the car right now, Im hoping for some good digital ones shortly. I may try scanning or taking pics of the pics...but the quality is always iffy.

I have not had any luck with finding the original auto show photos yet...
951-795-1175
Pbotsonis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious. What's the date manufacture date?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: