Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headed for Colorado
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Headed for Colorado Reply with quote

We will be headed out tomorrow morning for a two week trip to Colorado from Salt Lake City. We will travel I-70 to Grand Junction and then follow 141 south to Gateway and Naturita and then up the river and over to Ridgeway, Ouray, Silverton and then down to Pagosa Springs to our timeshare for a week. Then back through Durango and Southern Utah (I'm thinking Moki Dugway).

We will camp for three nights on the way to Pagosa Springs and then 4 nights on the return trip. We hope to catch some good autumn color. We're taking the mountain bikes and hope to get some good riding.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are leaving for Colorado on Friday. feel free to join us, should be fun Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=523315
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Headed for Colorado Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
We will be headed out tomorrow morning for a two week trip to Colorado from Salt Lake City. We will travel I-70 to Grand Junction and then follow 141 south to Gateway and Naturita and then up the river and over to Ridgeway, Ouray, Silverton and then down to Pagosa Springs to our timeshare for a week. Then back through Durango and Southern Utah (I'm thinking Moki Dugway).

We will camp for three nights on the way to Pagosa Springs and then 4 nights on the return trip. We hope to catch some good autumn color. We're taking the mountain bikes and hope to get some good riding.
Blue Bay Bus Have fun,love Pagosa Springs. WE like to stay at Pagosa river side camp ground. Mountain bikes in Pagosa try Treasure Mountain and north of the airport try turkey springs. And the 7 mile look road is cool. Love Moki Dugway, worked for a river rafting co. had to take a 32' trailer full of gear down that road lot's of fun! Ouray and Silverton love this time of year there, hope you have a syncro thats the best way to enjoy those towns. Next to a mountain bike.
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joesph-
If you have nothing doing you should join us.
Tony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: colorado Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:
Joesph-
If you have nothing doing you should join us.
Tony
Blue Bay Bus Would love to go with you but this weekend is the Jerome Arizona jamboree. I'm going with 2 other vans, have fun in Colorado! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am heading to Salt Lake City. Plan to squat in someone's vacant house for two weeks while they are away. Kidding. Enjoy the road trip. Wink
rotorimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph928 I just saw that post saying that your headed to Jerome this weekend. I will be up there Friday night on. I have a white 84 with a SVX conversion..you will have to stop by and say hello!

On a side note I am from Durango and love every time I get to head up for some camping.

Lots of camping going on this weekend..everyone stay safe and have fun!
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow, I'm heading the opposite direction, but going the same areas as you! Plan is to go to Silverton/Ouray tomorrow, then work my way up to Muley Point near Mexican Hat then to hwy 141 to John Brown's Canyon(just south of Gateway). I know of a couple of killer camping spots. Maybe we can coordinate a path crossing?

If interested PM me.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our first nights campsite was near the top of the hill up John Brown Canyon which we found while driving down 141 south of Grand Junction arriving at Gateway just as it was getting dark. This photo was taken the next morning.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We then drove farther up the John Brown Canyon road as far as the Utah border. This view is looking northeast.

We were looking for a shady lunch spot driving along the Dolores River and found this spot. Just down the road was a picnic area with a table.

More tk.

Camp at the Blue Lakes trailhead up County Road 7 on the way to Ridgeway.

Fall color looking back at the Blue Lakes area.

More color on the way to Silverton from Ouray.

Our camp in Mineral Canyon near Silverton. The round thing in the back of the van is a Coleman Power Cat Heater that came in handy since it got down to freezing that night.

On the way from Silverton to Durango.

We are now in Pagosa Springs. I am surprised how few Vanagons I have seen on this trip. It seems not more than a couple, a few Bays, and maybe half a dozen EV's.

I broke an awning support from all the washboard roads we've been driving but got the awning strapped in place so it doesn't budge. I'll fix it when I get home.
hecbom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my Westy I am also a Mt. Biker and usually hit some of the out of the way places here in California. Question; Do you leave your Mt.Bike on the rack when you hit the sack? I am asking because a friend of mine had his $5000 Carbon frame bike stolen in a campground. I am now starting to bring it inside but when my son and I go out 2 bikes inside the van creates a major problem. I have a Fiamme rack on my Westy and locking it down might not be safe enough. just wondering how you handle your situation.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! There were a few of us Vanagons around on the weekend, just in a slightly different locale. Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=529282
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian

Last edited by peaceful warrior on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: burglar alarm Reply with quote

hecbom wrote:
Love my Westy I am also a Mt. Biker and usually hit some of the out of the way places here in California. Question; Do you leave your Mt.Bike on the rack when you hit the sack? I am asking because a friend of mine had his $5000 Carbon frame bike stolen in a campground. I am now starting to bring it inside but when my son and I go out 2 bikes inside the van creates a major problem. I have a Fiamme rack on my Westy and locking it down might not be safe enough. just wondering how you handle your situation.
Blue Bay Bus My bike is under me or at camp with my burglar alarm - MY ROTTWEILER- so far no problem! Very Happy PS if you don't have a wife bring it inside!
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hecbom wrote:

I keep the bikes locked with a good cable when on the back, but generally I travel with the bikes inside the van, this trip being a exception at my wife's request. I also try to camp in out of the way places where the chances of a thief committing a crime of opportunity are less if no one know's you're there. I also don't own a $5000 bike with decals on it that say "Steal Me". My bike is a 12 year old Gary Fisher that is beat to a pulp. If I did own a high-end bike I would never let it out of my sight or I would keep it out of sight of potential thieves. You might consider a bike cover of some sort so no one can see what kind of a bike you have, plus the hassle of trying to remove a cover would slow a thief down enough that the might go after an easier target. How about 2 or 3 different cables, or something that will make a lot of noise.
phatveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos and trip report Rich. The van looks great, as usual. Keem em coming!
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more images from our trip.

Ouray,

More Autumn Leaves

tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta watch those camp robbers, Rich. One minute they're eating nuts out of your hand, the next they're driving your van away with your daughter.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zeekiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice I did a simlair trip about a week ago, aspen-ouray-silverton-durango-dolores-rico ( PM me for info on a free hidden hotspring in rico) - telluride- moab-salt lake and back to Summit county.

have fun guys..its def starting to get cold in these parts!
zeekiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice I did a simlair trip about a week ago, aspen-ouray-silverton-durango-dolores-rico ( PM me for info on a free hidden hotspring in rico) - telluride- moab-salt lake and back to Summit county.

have fun guys..its def starting to get cold in these parts!
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hecbom wrote:

we have 2 sometimes 3 bikes on our bike rack, now admittedly they are not much more than junkers, but they are always locked up, i usually use 2 combination locks, we need one for each bike anyway, i also made up my own cable with loops at the end for securing the seats, as someone decided that one i our seats would better on their bike Sad
so there's an extra cable now, though the lock, then through each seat and back to the lock, it takes me 5 to 10 minutes to get the bikes off, so i should have time to hear if someone tried it while we are asleep

all the locks go though the welded loop on the back, there's no way it would come off without waking me up, i guess it could go if i was away from lucy, but it's be pretty heavy to walk off with

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more: This one is up the Piedra River Road north of Pagosa Springs.

and these were shot up the Blanco River Basin south east of Pagosa Springs.
Notice, I took the bike rack off and the bikes are inside.

Tomorrow we are going to drive up Wolf Creek Pass.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: