Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grease attacking rubber brake hoses?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Grease attacking rubber brake hoses? Reply with quote

Anybody have problems with grease attacking the rubber brake hoses? I replaced the front hoses two times in the past couple of years now because of it. The grease from the axle beam landed on one and I noticed it swelled up like an allergic reaction;) and is sticky. The first time I thought something punctured it and it was seeping out but I found a big glob of grease on them this time. After replacing it I cut the hose to see what kind of damage was done. It seems to be only effecting the outer rubber. Maybe it’s the synthetic grease I used but I’m going to be more careful greasing the front end in the future.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
This is a close up of the hose. You can see some of the grease on the firewall in the background.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my service manual VW specifically says to avoid getting grease or oil on any of the rubber hoses, and to clean it off immediately if it does get on them.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
In my service manual VW specifically says to avoid getting grease or oil on any of the rubber hoses, and to clean it off immediately if it does get on them.

I think the idea behind that is so dirt doesn’t stick. I know some people believe that oil eats rubber and that may be so. There is some weird stuff in oil but what about the rear axle boots and the one piece of twenty-year-old rubber that didn’t need to be replaced on this car. The nose cone to chassis seal was covered in gear oil and it looks like it was a great preservative Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HBRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One will destroy brake system components with petroleum based cleaning products. Brake parts should be cleaned with brake cleaner or alcohol, because of the type of material used on the seals. This is a key reason why regular hose cannot be used to connect the resevior to the master cylinder. I don't know what the outter housing of the flex line is made of, but I would bet there is a compatibility issue causing the swelling.

The axel boots are designed for petroleum product, so that is not a good comparisons. I don't recall the specifics of the various material type, however it is generally available on the web for those interested.
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HBRag wrote:
One will destroy brake system components with petroleum based cleaning products. Brake parts should be cleaned with brake cleaner or alcohol, because of the type of material used on the seals. This is a key reason why regular hose cannot be used to connect the resevior to the master cylinder. I don't know what the outter housing of the flex line is made of, but I would bet there is a compatibility issue causing the swelling.

The axel boots are designed for petroleum product, so that is not a good comparisons. I don't recall the specifics of the various material type, however it is generally available on the web for those interested.

Exactly. Wink

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: