Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop-top to Rag-top conversion
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stew82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Pop-top to Rag-top conversion Reply with quote

I have a 69 camper top bus and am thinking of removing the top and retro-fitting some style of rag top sunroof in the hole. Anyone out there ever heard of anyone doing this? Any suggestions. Is this a stupid idea?
flat4freak1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Pop-top to Rag-top conversion Reply with quote

no on the contrary its a really cool idea that i think could be done for under a hundred bucks if you fabricated everything yourself versus 200 plus dollars for that stupid sunroof seal. just get some alminum stripping measured out for all 4 sides of the hole, put in snaps, the bottom part and cut a peice of vinyl (the high grade kind) and fold it over a about a half inch and put the top parts of the snaps in it and install all of this make sure to put some sort of weather sealing strip under the aluminum to keep water out and you could measure the width of the sunroof hole opening and go to a junkyard and get one of those air deflectors off of another car that has a sunroof that will fit from one side to the other of the bus roof opening and install it in front of it to deflect air/water. and then run a bunch of water over it and spray it all around to test for leaks and assuming it doesnt leak youll have a very cool custom ragtop. atleast thats the idea ive schemed up in my head. you guys let me know what you think about my idea. thanks.

peace and much luck.

happy trails.

justin everson

[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:30 am    Post subject: Pop-top to Rag-top conversion Reply with quote

Justin;
STOP IT, STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!
i've installed two aftermarket kits and was very unimpressed with both of them.
Making your own will destroy a good bus The thing will leak like a sive.
Big b
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Pop-top to Rag-top conversion Reply with quote

brian, you are assuming he is using a "good' bus to start with. just as a hypothetical exercise, (don't try this at home kids, with a good bus) here's the approach i would take- rather than messing around with a soft covering (chances are you would lose it the first time you get passed by a big truck), i would find a donor bus in a junk yard and cut a roof panel 2" larger in all dimensions than your existing opening. bevel any support ribs in your new targa panel so that it fits flush with your own bus roof, but don't cut the ribs- you'll want the stiffness. install a good adhesive backed foam weatherstripping around the hole in the roof, and for good measure install the same stuff on the inside of your targa panel, so that the two weatherstrips will be side by side when the panel is installed (measure, measure, measure!) clean up the cuts on the top panel, and install an edge beading to protect fingers. to secure to the top of the bus, use dzus pins, and for added security, hold-down clamps inside at each corner. If you want to get fancy, you can install some hooks and straps to secure your new targa panel to the inside rear roof of your bus for storage, cheap, simple, and easy to return the bus to stock down the road.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: