Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My H6 Install (EZ30)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro, you should move to Seattle, there's a ton of Vanagons to work on Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone NOT like an H6?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it trust me, and miss it.

Fuel economy and range where more important to me in the hightop.

I think if I had a tin top ill do an h6 swap in it with a soob trans.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

That's a rather open-ended question

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

purplepeopleeater wrote:
Fuel economy and range were more important to me in the hightop. I think if I had a tin top ill do an h6 swap in it with a soob trans.

Yes bigger seems like it might be better but it seems like the Subaru H6 uses a lot of fuel, and has too much power for the VW transmission. Thanks for the real-world feedback.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

speed limits, police, fuel costs. that's what comes to mind first.

it always looks like your running out of gas cause all that fluid is pushed up agents the back of the tank from the acceleration...but you really are running out of gas too.

also if you prefer a more humble but capable vehicle. a vanagon looks humble, a vanagon with an H6 is like a raging bull with a slight push of your foot. forget about nose diving when you break, now you feel front end LIFT when you launch. and not launching from a stop, but launching from any gear...until you break the trans. the siren call of acceleration is so seductive...difficult to resist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL @ Nate

We are experts on transmissions and side effects of the H6
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just returned from a 4,300 mile trip (which I'll post about later) in my newly converted '87 Syncro with an EZ30D.

My trip average fuel economy was 17mpg, and I generally cruise at the speed limit, which on this trip was mostly 65mph.

At worst my mileage was 14mpg and at best 20mpg.

Considering that the OG wasserboxer only got 14mpg, would NEVER be able to maintain the speed limit and almost NEVER made it home under it's own power (we're U-Haul Frequent Customer Gold patrons).. I'll take 17mpg all day long every day over that crap and call it the bargain of the century. Shite man, I did a 700-mile stretch getting home in one day and wasn't even a wrung-out, stressed out, freaked out mess at the end of the day. Shocked

Sure, if I were to go back in time I'd start off with a 2wd Westy and go for a 2.5L and Subarugears trans setup. But back then I was a splitty snob and "the only Vanagon you'd ever catch me in" was a Syncro.
Lesson learned. Right in the wallet.

But at least we have the coolest Zombie Apocalypse Survival Vehicle on the block.

PS - yeah my trans makes all kinds of expensive noises, but it did that already. The case is so corroded that it looks like the surface of the far side of the moon and it's still weeping oil after a whole re-seal and POR15 job. I'm saving my pennies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: hype alert Reply with quote

When does a WBX get 14mpg? I've heard the auto boxes can occasionally dip down there, but a manual trans? I've never gotten less than 18mpg

y u rune klassik?
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: hype alert Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
When does a WBX get 14mpg? I've heard the auto boxes can occasionally dip down there, but a manual trans? I've never gotten less than 18mpg

when it's a Syncro full Westy camper loaded up for a trip.

Got right at what it was rated for:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=3965

Last edited by Turk.380 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...

y u rune klassik?
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2WD westy with 4 speed, roof box, awning, yadda yadda, gets 17MPG on the highway at 65MPH. If I drive it around town, I've gotten it as low as 15 MPG. I drive my van hard though, and I maintain it well. That being said, the poor watterboxer shant last much longer... The exhaust continually needs welding, a sign its time for new. I would install a RMW exhuast if I didn't already have a donor... Laughing
vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I ever miss this topic? Shocked Who were the people behind this h6t3.com? What did the kit entail? Are engine mounts positions same on late EZ30D as on a 2.5? That would make KEP an option. So many questions... Smile

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was Eric out of Santa Barbara.
He had quite a few of the ez30 d motors he was selling plus his own kit.
I just *almost* bought one, but I had concerns about what the torque would do to a vanagon transmission. The torque chart on these engines is a beautiful thing.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are about 10 vans, mostly Syncros, out and about with these kits.
As a matter of fact, the second van built will be through my shop next week while touring.
All are going strong and do not have transmission issues as the internal mods and fluid cooling that is now becoming standard with most high end rebuilds, were developed and tested with the EZ30d, hung with this kit.

All parts are now NLA, Small Car bought most of the remaining kits and I have one kit for each of the engine versions...EZ30d, EZ30r and my personal favorite the EZ3.6r.

I have no plan to reman any of these kits, I am just enjoying them as a huge chunk of Vanagon H6 history.
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the h6 loved to chew transmissions thats for sure, I loved the power and was fairly gentle to it Wink
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVED mine! I loved terrorizing unsuspecting German drivers on the Autobahn, as I ripped past them at 125MPH! THAT scared the schnitzel out of them! I loved how, depending on clutch work, I could either lift the front (of a WESTY!), or spin the tires.....
Yeah, I did burn out the tranny, but after shipping it over to the States, I put in a Rancho Tranny, built for this engine. No more burnt tranny!
My dear Domo has been painted white by his new owner, has been named Dumbo (the flying elephant... 0-o), and lives over near Disneyland.
I loved being part of this small club of crazies. The fan club was amazing! In our year and a half road trip around North America, half the time we got good treatment by good people because we try to be good people. The rest of the time, we got good treatment (and a few invites!) JUST because of the van! Domo had a fan club! As I go around to all my parts connections (here in Germany) to pull together parts for our new van, I come across random people who ask me if these are for the Subi van. I get jokes. I have a reputation. I have respect, all because of this van, and this project. I am eternally grateful to Eric for selling me these parts on layaway.
This was yet another experience I wouldn't trade for anything!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I am one of the few with an H6 with Eric's kit. The powerband is great, torque is just right.
I am not sure if I agree that it's as powerful as others share... It's no race car - it's still a toaster on wheels. Perhaps I am not running on all cylinders or something???

I would equate it to a van that now drives as today's modern cars. It has power when you need it and purs like a kitten. Apparently, the H6's are known to go many, many miles given their design.
Drawback is gas mileage as others state and it likes premium gas.

Super pleased with mine.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who experienced transmission issues, used a high mileage transmission, drove it hard enough to destroy parts and or didn't have the respect level needed to own and drive a Vanagon with the amount of torque that the EG and EZ motors can lay down.

Those of us with this respect are still going strong and loving every minute of the drive Wink

Dont believe the negative hype you hear about the H6s.
Many Subaru 2.5s are having transmission issues for the exact same reason now...lack of respect while being driven Exclamation

If you want to cruise with "new" cars, at or above posted freeway speeds, for extended durations...I recommend buying a "new' car Wink

Slow down and enjoy the ride Exclamation
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with Dylan's opinion here.

I pulled my tranny recently due To a noisy bearing that was a used bearing during the last rebuild. I can testify the R &P was in perfect shape as with most othe parts. The only thing that had some wear was my 5 th gar she many highway miles as is my daily driver and I do a fair amt of big trips with lots of miles. This trans has 60k + miles on it under he power of the H 6. It was all stock parts.
Now it has every known upgrade done to the trans and am confiden she will go many many more miles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: