Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sinka Doka specific rust
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The big Vanagon failures, wrecks and fires tread! Reply with quote

ThorAlex wrote:

Rust! This was my first car, 1987 syncro doka. The rear of the sill was rusted out due to water from the bed running down the side and in to the locker, were it rusted trough to the sill and attacked from the inside. something to watch out for for the doka people. It finally gave up when, during a wheel change, the jack point started bending in to the sill.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now, dig up those pictures and stories and have fun!

My first summer in Portland, I was sound proofing my doka, and I noticed some dampness on the inside. I pulled the rubber rear sill plugs and about a gallon of water came gushing out. Since I park outside, I have left those sill plugs out permanently (the front two sill plugs are still in).

The water sheets in from the roof, to the rear window, then down to the hole for the side gate latches; then it goes straight down into the sill. Methinks I should take a mold of the annular hole to mold a rubber plug. That would eliminate 98% of the water infiltration, imo...

Every morning there is dampness above those empty sill plugs, even from condensation. Leave em' out I tells ya!
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really follow what this means (but since mine sits out in the rain I'd like to...):

"The water sheets in from the roof, to the rear window, then down to the hole for the side gate latches; then it goes straight down into the sill. Methinks I should take a mold of the annular hole to mold a rubber plug. That would eliminate 98% of the water infiltration, imo... "

Are you talking about water getting into the engine compartment?

any pics of these areas?
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the photo:

Right where the cab ends and the front of the side gate extends to, there is a 'socket' that the front side gate latches into. That 'socket' is attached to the rear of the cab by poking into a hole in the sheet metal and fastened by two large phillips head screws.

That hole for the bracket is right in the path of water draining off of the roof.
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Here ya go Reply with quote

No, he is talking about the area pictured below on a Doka:

The hole in question is right where the female part of the gate latch comes out of the body, this is allowing moisture into the body which then collects down in the sill.

I am also without a garage, and so I will be checking my plugs later for H2O accumulation. Thanks. Let us know if you are successful on making those plugs. What kind of product will allow you to do so?

I have some other holes on my rear gate missing some plugs and want to get plugged up ASAP. Such as:

anyone know of a source for these clear plastic plugs?

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Here ya go Reply with quote

Bman wrote:

I think....and can be wrong...

Come in black and translucent.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Here ya go Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

What is this number to, a part number? What vendor?

Thanks

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EwokPoacher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Here ya go Reply with quote

i would like to know because i have to replace some, please.

Bman wrote:
r39o wrote:

What is this number to, a part number? What vendor?

Thanks
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Here ya go Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Bman wrote:

I think....and can be wrong...

Come in black and translucent.

Those are for a bug by the part number.

211813395 is the part number for the caps. They are NLA

Apparently bay window busses use them to plug up some holes on either side of the rear view mirror- happy junk yard hunting Smile
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

111831449 fits a 20mm hole, I believe.

What is the diameter of the hole in the pickups?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Rust Sucks! Reply with quote

Oh My GOD! Back to the original topic. As you may all know I have my Doka in for a rust battle and "restoration"; we were poking around underneath the Doka to treat and came across the area at the bottom of the B pillar, not quite were the above rust is being discussed, but a close second. We were poking around in there and the body was literally crumbling in our hands. I don't know if this is doka specific or not, but there is no evidence from the outside or in the cab of this problem. This was right to the center and above of the forward jack points. I have no pictures yet, but check these areas for the design of these trucks leads to water being easily trapped within the vehicle, at the very least take those plugs out and leave them out. My body shop is going to spray this gooey 3M rust fighter in there to coat and seal it. Otherwise I have no further resources to rebuild this rig from the frame up.

FaceHook:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: