Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

midle seat identification needed
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
humfrydog
Trained Attack Dog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: midle seat identification needed Reply with quote

I seen this in the classifieds.I was wondering what years it is for.I have a brother about 1 hour away that could pick it up.

OGJHC Nevada chapter
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that my friend is the ever ellusive invisible middle seat... Laughing
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

link? i looked around in there and didnt see it.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
humfrydog
Trained Attack Dog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bad,sorry Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OGJHC Nevada chapter
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion it is from a '67 as it has the diagonal reinforced legs. The sit-on side should have no heat pleats as the '65 version did which led to ripping and the weak pleat.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any grab handles on the top edge of the backrest?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post '68. the arm rest bar is coming from the front. not valuable.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Friedpotatoes
Addicted4life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfft! horrible pure horrible late seats rule!.

look at it this way.

To my left correct middle seat and rear seat ripped material sad shape

$800 (thats $450 for middle and $350 for the rear)

To my right 68+ middle seat and back seat. good soft material, not broken, good shape. may be brown or black but who cares!

Grand total of $150 ($75 for middle and $75 for rear)

i would take the seats to my right any day!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friedpotatoes wrote:
pfft! horrible pure horrible late seats rule!.

look at it this way.

To my left correct middle seat and rear seat ripped material sad shape

$800 (thats $450 for middle and $350 for the rear)

To my right 68+ middle seat and back seat. good soft material, not broken, good shape. may be brown or black but who cares!

Grand total of $150 ($75 for middle and $75 for rear)

i would take the seats to my right any day!

late middle seats are a lot cheaper. I would sat that a splittie rear seat is a bit less than $350 though. the last couple good upholstery ones that I sold were under $200.

also, when fitting a bay read seat into a splittie standard or deluxe, you have to cut either the middle leg or the heater tube. I would recomend cutting the seat leg. when fitting a 2/3 bay middle seat, the legs only line up with the mounts on a '67 bus. there are plenty of ways to make it bolt down, but it is only super simple in a '67. full width bay middle seats bolt right up.

I agree that cheap bay seats are good if you can't afford expensive splittie seats or if you feel that the money would be better spent elsewhere on your bus. it also allows you to be patient and wait for cheap splittie seats to come up. there is no shortage of stories of $50 and less splittie middle seats, they do come up. I have found a couple like that. they don't come along every year, but they do show up. I have owned over 10 splittie middle seats, and I have paid $100 or less for all but one of them.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
eroseme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when fitting a 2/3 bay middle seat, the legs only line up with the mounts on a '67 bus. there are plenty of ways to make it bolt down, but it is only super simple in a '67.

As long as you brought it up, I have a 69 middle 2/3 that I want to mount in a 64 panel, so I have to weld the floor brackets on. I have the cut-outs, and the left side lines up okay, but the right side does not. I do not see an easy way to weld the mounts on the corregate floor, and still have the T-bolts clear enough to turn sideways when clamping.

Any recommendations on how to do this? I have both the Wolfsburg West weld-on mounts, and mounting plates.

Thanks,

Eric
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been unable to find a middle 2/3 seat for my '65 so I'm working with something around a '68. Instead of messing with the floor of the bus, It seems easy enough to modify the seat.
The difference is with the passangers side leg. On the earlier model the leg came straight down on the outside of the seat. On the later models the leg is set in under the edge by about 4 inches. I'm taking a piece of tube the same size af the legs, bending it U shaped and welding it to the leg. This piece will now lay flat on the mat and fits into the original mounts.
If I ever find an original, I haven't messed up the floor or cut extra holes in the mat
eroseme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea. I see exactly what you mean. Thanks.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eroseme wrote:
when fitting a 2/3 bay middle seat, the legs only line up with the mounts on a '67 bus. there are plenty of ways to make it bolt down, but it is only super simple in a '67.

As long as you brought it up, I have a 69 middle 2/3 that I want to mount in a 64 panel, so I have to weld the floor brackets on. I have the cut-outs, and the left side lines up okay, but the right side does not. I do not see an easy way to weld the mounts on the corregate floor, and still have the T-bolts clear enough to turn sideways when clamping.

Any recommendations on how to do this? I have both the Wolfsburg West weld-on mounts, and mounting plates.

Thanks,

Eric

Eric,

I tried to use a bay window short (2/3) middle in my '65 panel and had the same problem. I got lucky and found a full length '59-'61 middle seat in great shape and used that instead. I ended up selling the bay window seat to someone who needed it for a bay window bus. I think I got $70 for it, but didn't have to ship it:) I didn't want to cut up my cargo floor or the seat legs to make the bay seat work properly. jsdesign sounds like he has the right idea for modifying the bay seat to work though.

I did use the WW plates to mount the seat and also added a captive nut for a seatbelt mount. The two pix below illustrate the problem and my solution. Check my gallery for more pix of the seat mounted, etc.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: