Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manx On The Banx, Oct. 8-14, 2012
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
olmer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kicking myself for not bringing my rail to the OBX. I have enjoyed seen you guys all over town this week. I was able to talk to someone from your group at a gas station yesterday, nice folks. Have a great rest of your vacation, I make the trip back to TN tomorrow.
74 bug http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547777
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today the sky was blue, no clouds but a little bit chilly. We went to the Rallye Point to get the daily raffles and around 10:00am we went to the parking lot of the Brewing Station for a Swap Meet. What's a Swap Meet? People are selling Dune Buggy parts that they don't need anymore. We were over 20 buggies and Vincent bought a license plate cover to replace the one that he has on his dune buggy. It was nice to talk with everybody. Our New York (Long Island) area friends were there (John and Keith) and after the lunch Tom (from T J Kustoms http://www.tjkustoms.com/) showed up with his new Berry Mini-T. Farmer John was missing (due of family get together) but we think of him a lot. We also saw Chris again (with his wife and son).

After lunch, we went to Vince's house to get a seminar on the fibreglass repair. Wow, this was really interesting and we learned a lot. Adam (with his wife and daughter) showed up. I did the monkey again and I climbed on the first roof of Vince's house to take a picture of the group. Vincent's dream is to see me doing a plane tour and take an arial pictures of the group....you can dream honey! For dinner we went with Sue and Bud...another really great evening with a great couple. We really enjoyed our week. Late tonight our West Coast friends, Lori Ann, Mike, Scott, Bob (sorry if we missed people) and of course Winnie and Bruce arrived to OBX. We can't wait to see them tomorrow. If you want to see more pictures, please go on the official website of MOTB 2012.

Temperature: 69 F (21 C).

Good night!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

Link

Link

Link
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary and I got a chance to pre-ride the beach.

Perfect tide...perfect temp, great time.

Link
bigtonkakid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This evening

plasticman1432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an excellent bit of weather for this year's event, and I'm really enjoying all the pics being shared here.

Among MOTB attendees there has also been a favorable response to the "Hadley's Heart" charity raffle I'm doing. Thanks to a very generous donation from a west coaster with no interest in the prizes, I'd like to offer a special bonus: Anyone who buys at least $10 in raffle tickets will receive 25 free tickets(a $10 value)**.

** This offer includes surfnc(Vince) and vincent9993(Vincent & France), who have already donated.

Here's a look at the grand prize one-of-a-kind Manx replica, just to keep it topical:

'68 Meyers Manx: M1689D815E

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 of us decided to make the run for Ocracoke Island and the old Pirate town. Left early, ate breakfast at Diamond Shoals in Buxton, then rode the ferry to Ocracoke, drove south into the small old village of Ocracoke. Stopped at the lighthouse, shore line for pictures, Howards Pub for lunch and then helped Adam repair his Manxter where it lost a rear trailing arm pivot bolt. Made it back slightly too late to for the mixer. Long ride, several sunburnt people, beautiful weather to drive a buggy in and good friends.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a surprise this morning when we arrived at the MOTB Headquarters and we saw Bruce (the dune buggy's inventor who his recovering from a back surgery), on the third floor sitting in the kitchen talking with the members of the Manx club and the Eastern Chapter members. He was looking much better than last time we saw him in July at his house. Winnie was there as well and Vincent and I were really happy to see them again and of course our West Coast friends. When we were at Big Bear last July, they were saying that they might come on the Eastern Event and they kept their word. The purpose of the meeting this morning was to decided who will be on the committee for the Eastern Chapter and how this will work. We all had lunch together and in the afternoon, we went to the Brewery Station for the registration. We were 35 or 36 dune buggies. People were so happy to see each other and had a chance to talk with Bruce. At one time, I look Bruce and I told him: "Bruce you see all these buggies...this is so great and this is all about you". He told me: "Don't say that you will make me cry". Around 5:00pm we had a board of director meeting. It was really windy outside. After the meeting, Vincent and I went to have a drink with Tom Thompson from ???? T. J. Kustoms (http://www.tjkustoms.com/). Again, we spent a wonderful day and night and didn't want to see that week ended. Don't forget to go on the official website MOTB 2012 to see more pictures.

Have a great evening!

Last edited by vincent9993 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
vw60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving in about a hour to head to OBX!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is going to be a lot of pictures coming up....

vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god, our heads are full of new memories today. The dy started with a show & shine. We had to vote for the dune buggy we liked the most. We were 44 or 45 buggies (twice as many as last year). Today we received an awesome suprise. Bruce spent the day in Bud's dune buggy. He was with us all day. This man is an inspiration for us all.

We were not as lucky as last year, the wild horses were discreate and did not come out to salute us on the beach. This was not a problem as you'll see in our pictures. Vincent and I were waiting on the beach ahead of the buggies to take pictures. Vincent was a away from me and a Jeep with 4 people stopped by and says: "Hello France?" I answered "Yes?" with a big question mark on my face. The driver of the Jeep went on to tell me that he had been following the build of my dune buggy on the forum. When we left to catch up with the buggies that had passed, we decided to swap drivers. guess who was driving the buggy? Yes, I was driving the buggy on the beach. I was very excited!

We then all gathered for diner and the awards were announced. Vincent and I earned the "Long distance" award. Not many people participated to the Geo Caching, Three teams ended up finishing 1st. Vincent and I were one of them. To determine the winner, Bruce drew a ticket and the winner was announced: Vincent and France, I was very happy. The individual pictures will be posted by the end of the week. We took more than 1,200 pictures today alone! Now we're tired and we have a long travel day tomorrow.

Vincent et/and France

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What a week!

The West Virginia Boys made it home from 5 to 5:30 PM today and had a good trip home. I opened my garage just to check on things since we were gone for 8 days, and the garage is the worst shape I have ever left it in. Dust over everything, every tool I did not pack to the OBX is laying on something or the floor, cut zip ties, spent paper towells, pop cans, grinding grit, used sand paper, extension cords, "bolt cans" contents tossed about and air lines so badly scattered it is hard to walk through. I guess re-building a buggy in a week will do that. I was smart enough to take Monday off as a vacation day and will clean up the garage with a perfect smile on my face from all the overload of fun we had, new people we met, people we conected faces to names, meeting Bruce and Winnie, Seafood overdose and sand in the buggy.

The wife wants to clean the sand out of the buggy and put it in a jar to be labeled "MOTB '12".

Thanks to all those seen and not seen that had a hand in pulling this 2012 event off!

If you missed this event, you have 12 months to build, buy or borrow a buggy to make it. You will thank yourself for ever you did it.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to take this opportunity to express my extreme thanks to Vince Simansky, Bud Zeller, and the Manx Club overall; I had a blast this weekend at the 2nd annual Manx on the Banx. I was not able to actually arrive until Friday morning, so I missed the scheduled events for the four previous days.

Even so, I wanted to personally convey my gratitude to be given the opportunity to meet Bruce and Winnie Meyers, the Manx Club Board members, and others who I have corresponded with in the past. It was great to be able to put faces, voices, and expressions with the written word. Vince and Bud both did an amazing job in preparing and running this event, which allowed the membership to just relax, follow the schedule, and enjoy a very unique and memorable experience. They have set the bar very high, my friends; next year’s MOTB will be here before we know it, so it may be a good idea to adjust your vacation plans accordingly.

Check out my videos on Youtube

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." - Dale M.
"When in doubt, blame it on the previous owner" - Gary0302
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think that the OC Manx guy should be banned from any future Manx Club related beach cruises.

I decided to keep this particular post separate from the one above; since it addresses an unfortunate issue with one of our Manx Club members. Just in the few days that I was in attendance of the Manx on the Banx, it was REPEATEDLY stressed on what our driving demeanor should be once we were given the chance to cruise along the water’s edge as a large, organized group. I consider it a privilege to have this opportunity in the first place; the northern section of the Outer Banks is one of the few places along the east coast, and probably throughout the coastal sections of the USA, where one can experience this kind of driving.

The OC Manx dude threw the rules and guidelines completely out the window. I had met the guy before actually hitting the beach, and he appeared to be both friendly and personable, but it was like he took on a different and selfish persona one his tires made contact with the sand. He made a habit of fish tailing, spinning out, trying to catch air on the humps, passing other dune buggies, and just overall driving erratically until he was finally pulled over by the local Sheriff’s Department. Can you say “one bad apple spoils the bunch?” This guy wins, hands down.

I would like to address this guy directly and personally; hey man, can you actually imagine how dangerous it would be if the entire group drove in the same manner as you did? Do you have some kind of gift or permission to be the self-imposed exception to the rule? Please consider that we were all given parameters to follow, but your intelligence, common sense, and courtesy to others went totally against the grain in this manner.

kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary0302 wrote:
I personally think that the OC Manx guy should be banned from any future Manx Club related beach cruises.

I decided to keep this particular post separate from the one above; since it addresses an unfortunate issue with one of our Manx Club members. Just in the few days that I was in attendance of the Manx on the Banx, it was REPEATEDLY stressed on what our driving demeanor should be once we were given the chance to cruise along the water’s edge as a large, organized group. I consider it a privilege to have this opportunity in the first place; the northern section of the Outer Banks is one of the few places along the east coast, and probably throughout the coastal sections of the USA, where one can experience this kind of driving.

The OC Manx dude threw the rules and guidelines completely out the window. I had met the guy before actually hitting the beach, and he appeared to be both friendly and personable, but it was like he took on a different and selfish persona one his tires made contact with the sand. He made a habit of fish tailing, spinning out, trying to catch air on the humps, passing other dune buggies, and just overall driving erratically until he was finally pulled over by the local Sheriff’s Department. Can you say “one bad apple spoils the bunch?” This guy wins, hands down.

I would like to address this guy directly and personally; hey man, can you actually imagine how dangerous it would be if the entire group drove in the same manner as you did? Do you have some kind of gift or permission to be the self-imposed exception to the rule? Please consider that we were all given parameters to follow, but your intelligence, common sense, and courtesy to others went totally against the grain in this manner.

DITTO!!!
Further more, someone had words with him, Wink I don't think he will be a factor next year.

About the event, I just got home and I am too tired to post about it. It was awesome!

And wondering what the heck happen to my Samba post count?!?
Tom Thompson
Tijuana Kustoms Inc. (TM)
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today it was our last day in North Carolina. We started the day at the Dune Restaurant with many friends of ours. The winners of the raffles were announced there. Weather wise, it was simply gorgeous. It is with a lot of regrets that we left our friends... the week passed so quickly that we would spend another week. Our good friend Farmer John was not with us this week-end but we decided to take a picture when we were thinking of him (see the picture with the pumkins). We decided to do a long day (even if we left only at 9:40am) and we are really proud of ourselves because tomorrow it is supposed to rain and for us today it was a perfect day. We arrived at the hotel at Clarks Summit PA around 7:00pm. The warmer that we got today was 78 F (26 C) and the lowest was when we arrived at the hotle and it was 68 F (20 C). Tomorrow we should do less than 400 miles ( 645 km).

Milleage: 486 miles (782 km)

Stay tune for the last post of the year tomorrow.

crack monkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow looks like everyone had a great time!

Looks like I need to get off my butt and put a buggy on the road for next year
MTN BUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to thank all who were involved in putting together this years MOTB ( Vince, Bud, Sue,etc.). I had an excellent time and met allot of wonderful people. I would also like to thank Vincent and France for being our professional photographers. Posting the pictures of all the fun we had will insure an even larger MOTB next year. The hard work is greatly appreciated.

Hope to be back next year.
Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary0302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Meyers and Mike Dario

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you guys and gals had perfect weather and even a better time! One question just for curiosity sake - if this is a Manx Club sanctioned event, why do I see non-Manx vehicles there? Do they belong to club members?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: