Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jalousie (louvered) windows in a Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got carried away and decided to swap the winder mechanism on the sliding door window to the front. In all my checking, it seemed fairly straightforward, but the jalousie does not close as tight as the left one. The winder mechanism runs out of travel before the glass is tight. As best I can tell, the long rod that connects the two sides of the windows must have a slightly different cutout for the little tear drop peices that actually move the windows. When I have time, I believe I can cut the notch out of the tear drop peices and then slightly open the winder mechanism, close the windows and then tack weld the ears to the rod. This will give me a little additional closing room. The above will make no sense to anyone that has not had one of these apart before. The goal was to be able to reach both windows from the front seats. Live and learn.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: louvered windows Reply with quote

Good old thread bump time!

Just wanted to thank the previous authors for all the info! Although this can be a time consuming project it is made so much easier with this post.

I aslo wanted to add a bit of knowledge gained from my personal project. If you decide to buy a small sheet of aluminum to cut yourself on a table saw, I recommend using a double face tape and backer board. Lee Valley sells what they call "turners tape." I have used it in my workshop for many applications and it came in handy on this project. Simply stick the aluminum to a piece of mdf or plywood to rip the pieces. The benefit to this is way less chips of aluminum! Ask me how I know!

Dan from NY mentioned a simpler way to complete this project but I decided to go with the complicated method.(too much time on my hands)

I fluked out getting two windows for free. They had been painted a lovely chocolate brown and DYI window tint. I ordered the rebuild seal kit from Gowesty and proceeded to scrape,sand and clean. This alone takes a tremendous amount of time. Small gouges in the aluminum needed to be buffed out after the paint came off.

Once that was done I replaced all the seals. Again, seems simple. Not so much.

So here I am now with the frame built up to spec. I need to cut the curves in the corners and do the swap. That requires better weather than what's in the forecast so I will wait.

Once I am done and in the sun I will attach some pictures of the before and after. Looking forward to it!

Thanks again Samba!

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, I did not use the dimensions in the original directions. I placed the vanagon window frame on top of the jalousie and used the vanagon frame to mark the corners.

Did you replace the actual seals around the glass? I tried one and gave up. Even the other seals were a bit of a pain. Look forward to your pictures. mark
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: louvered windows Reply with quote

Hey Mark,

I was actually going to do the same on the corners when I have the window out. I figure that's a sure way to get it right the first time!

There is a video on youtube that showed the method for doing the window seals. I had tried one before watching it and got pretty frustrated. After it was not so bad.

I'd like to put my second window in my slider like you did but mine is an 86 and would require altering the the louvered window. I'm not sure I'm up for that!

I'll add some pics ASAP. Yours looks great by the way! One of the reasons I took it on...yours and Dobryan.

Brian.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: There's Always One More Thing... Reply with quote

[/quote]

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/quote]

Off-topic, but I'd love to see a better picture of the stove with the red painted control panel VERY nice touch!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The material added to the sides of the window frame is minimal. How much smaller is the actual slider door window opening on the newer Vanagons? Doesn't installing the window in the RR also require shortening the jalousie frame etc? Visually the slider door window looks to be the same dimension, so the difference must be very little. I don't think anyone posted the opening dimensions of the later door.

edit: link to the you tube video?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on your 80-84 vanagons the sldier is the same size as the driver's side.
it's when they changed the sliding door latch that the window size shrank.

while I'm sure it'd be nice, I'm not sure it's as nice as on the kitchenette side. there it's darn near mandatory for any of my campers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, do you know how much smaller the opening is on the later models?
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Louvered window Reply with quote

Hey Mark,

Sorry I don't have the link. Not my strength that stuff. I might have time to look it up tomorrow though.

I'm not sure the size difference but know that it is. Although, I was on the GW site looking at window rubber and was sure it said the same for both sides. That was confusing. Needs further investigation.

Brian

bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: louvered windows Reply with quote

Ok, so I went out in the pouring rain today and measured my windows. The slider door window is 1 1/8" shorter lengthwise than the kitchen window. The height seems the same.

It would take a bit of work to shrink the window but it's not impossible. I may try it over the winter when I'm am really, really bored. Very Happy

Brian

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went out and compared my Jalousie over the kitchen area to the size of the slider window. I was measuring the Jalousie portion only. It is a real close fit. The slider dimension side to side is almost too small by only 1/4 inch. I think the real problem may be the fit in the corners.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why I asked. The material I added to the sides was barely more than the vanagon window. The material was more to add thickness on the sides not to the overall length/width.

I would at a minimum before giving up, pull the side window from the sliding door and hold the jalousie up to the opening for a visual.

If I had followed the dimensions in the build sheet in the beginning of the thread exactly, the window would have been next to impossible to fit. That may account for why some have had a problem popping it in. I felt if the Vanagon window fit the vanagon seal, those would be the best final dimensions to use. Perhaps someone has a slider out of the later van and can measure the width and height then post. We might be able to reverse engineer a way to fit one. mark
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: louvered windows Reply with quote

That's great idea Mark. Reverse engineering sounds way smarter than "just winging it!"

So are you saying the specs on the add ons are too tight for the kitchen window? The sides are only a 1/16th wider at most but like you mentioned 3/16th thick. My top and bottom are made to spec and pretty much ready to install. I'm looking at next week to have my local Van Man to help me...me help him, do the swap.

Having the other window in the slider door isn't a priority for me but I'm thinking it would look nice on both sides.

Brian

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally tried to follow the cut sheet in the directions. I had the local fab shop shear me the aluminum. The top and bottom seemed too tall not by much, but some. Plus the window frame is angled, so the inside peice ends up being wider than the outer. I also decided, I wanted the window more centered. I remeasured using the vanagon window and had the fab shop shear me some more aluminum. I am thinking the side peices were about 3/4 inch wide. The filler was maybe 1/4 inch between the side peices. So there is some room to narrow the window.

The method of attaching 1/8 aluminum flat stock with rivets and adhesive to one side, does super simplify the job. Personally I think the 82 Vanagon looks period correct with the jalousies, but I am coming from a 68 Camper. It is so subtle, that no one even notices. mark
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mzalac, nice work and pictures. The jalousie other than the retro style have some advantages over the slider. The shape of the van, lets rain in the sliding windows when they are open. We see a lot of rain in the south when camping. The other advantage to the jalousie is when they are open, the entire cutout is open. You get much better airflow through the van when camping.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that of the (7) identicle posts you placed for your handy accomplishment this thread in it belongs the least. this thread is about the awesomeness of a crank open winder

Last edited by danfromsyr on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I agree that of the (7) identicle posts you placed for your handy accomplishment this thread in it belongs the least.

Fixed, see remaining post here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=512815&start=20#6379046
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i'm planning on putting these together soon for my syncro. I really want the ability to have some ventilation while it rains. I know that's what these are designed for, but do they work well at it or does water get in?

Furthermore, I'm going to tint them. I'm having all windows tinted with 2% limo tint. Has anyone ever tinted these windows, or seen them done? See any problems with that?
Thanks!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seanjenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen them tinted, on my friends bay westy. Looked good too.
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phishman068 wrote:
So i'm planning on putting these together soon for my syncro. I really want the ability to have some ventilation while it rains. I know that's what these are designed for, but do they work well at it?
Thanks!

I us mine while camping in the rain and I just close them up a bit so there is a good slope to the glass and I don't get any water coming in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 23

Jump to: