Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brand New 2.1 WBX For Sale in BC
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Brand New 2.1 WBX For Sale in BC Reply with quote

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/ptd/3359680812.html

No affiliation and no need, but the ad caught my eye! Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that much to get drippy heads in 60-80K miles and have the rods let go between 140 and 180K. Makes Tencentlife's engines look like a steal. Wink
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Engine-2-1-MV-...tartPage=1

If you wanted an engine with the same part number and could buy it in Britain, it would cost about $2812 with no VAT and your exchange engine. Comes with a water pump and filter too.They are out of stock, however, they have the high compression DJ 2.1 engine for the same price in stock.

VWHeritage indicate the "EX" engines are remanufactured, although I have seen "EX" parts that were new. The big clue as to whether this engine is new or remanufactured would be if it has an engine number stamped on the case or not.

$4000 seems high..$3000 would be a good number for a fresh engine. Reseal the head gaskets and drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to get one and torture test it Exclamation
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
I would love to get one and torture test it Exclamation

Yeah, someone could buy it, run only phosphate free antifreeze, change the antifreeze according to the manual and see how long it takes the heads to drip. Cool

We could start a betting pool, I would but my money on it beginning to seep at 65,000 miles. Wink
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those engines. Not from those guys though; I bought it as an exchange engine from VW. As has been pointed out already, the "EX" means it is a rebuilt/exchange engine. But, when I got mine, I was pretty sure that it was new. Now, I don't think that it is, because I have realized that the case has been painted, but it still looks new. Heads are brand new, made in Poland, I have not opened it up, but I suspect that there are many new parts inside as well. Pistons are new, I could see that through the spark plug holes. Flywheel is new. Came with a filter, but no water pump.

Also, as was pointed out already, it is possible to get new parts for the price of rebuilt. I was told by my VW parts guy that VW sometimes puts new part in the rebuild chain when they need to get more cores. For example, I got a brand new Syncro transaxle from South Africa, for the price of a rebuild, plus a $900 core charge, because I wanted to keep my old trans for spare parts. As an interesting side note, I recently bought a new SA aluminum gear carrier housing from Derek Drew, and it was cast in the same mould as the one on the whole SA trans. Casting marks were identical, right down to the sub-millimetre level.

@AtlasShrugged -- I am not clear on the comment about the engine having a number as being an indicator of new or remanufactured. Did you mean that no number means new?

RonC

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@AtlasShrugged -- I am not clear on the comment about the engine having a number as being an indicator of new or remanufactured. Did you mean that no number means new?

Back when I was working with VWOA, replacement engines if remanufactured had the original engine serial number still stamped on the case.

If it was a "new" engine the spot where the serial number should be was blank...the dealer had a set of numeral tools to stamp the original engine number from the removed defective engine into the replacement engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtlasShrugged wrote:

Back when I was working with VWOA, replacement engines if remanufactured had the original engine serial number still stamped on the case.

If it was a "new" engine the spot where the serial number should be was blank...the dealer had a set of numeral tools to stamp the original engine number from the removed defective engine into the replacement engine.

OK, I had a look, and here is what I found...

It looks like, maybe, an old number was removed, as witnessed by the vertical scoring, then the case painted, then a new stamp and numbers applied. The stamp says "VWO", the numbers kind of look like a date. Right side up, it has "90 83" but with a backwards (upside down '3'). If you flip it upside down, you get "38 06" but now with an upside down '8'. 2006 would be a logical year for this engine, I would guess I have had it about 5 years. March 8, 2006...August 3, 2006...?

I don't know what this means, maybe in an "official" VW reman, they re-use a case but make it like new, so the old number is removed?
RonC
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well..its not a "new"engine. Its a euro remanufactured engine. Built in the 38th week of 2006. "VWO" is the vendor builder for VW.

They scrubbed the original engine number off and put the new stampings in. The dealer would put the original engine number on the replacement engine (maybe)..but anyone who would go to buy this Vanagon used would recognize the engine had been replaced with a VW factory rebuilt.

Good news it is probably a very good engine made for VW..maybe in Poland? Perhaps the "VWO" means VW Outsourced.

The remanufactured engines I saw here ( I was working with Porsche) did not have the original numbers scrubbed off..so the euro engine rebuilders may have done so as part of some regulations.

Factory fresh new replacement engines used brand new engine cases with no serial numbers and a clean cast deck to place them there. There would be a engine model number..but no serial number.
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You learn something new every day. That all makes perfect sense, and is consistent with what I figured happened.

Thanks for the info!

RonC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: