Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My attempt at a 1904
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tncsparky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky. Amazing that you made it.
You should call a lawyer. I hope that you have taken pictures of your suffering. document everything in a notebook.

I would also call OSHA and report the dangerous conditions.

scotth17
I think you are just waiting around for a high-five from a unicorn so you can feel better about yourself
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as legal action, my lips are sealed. OSHA got involed right off the bat, not by me though. unsure if it was a doctor or workers comp, but my lips were about stuck together for the fist day or so....

anyway, i had some time to fart around with more mock up. wanted the forums opinion on my oil lines

what i want to do is run them thru the 3-4 sled tin. i got to thinking, instead of having 2 long ass lines that i would need to deal with, how about 2 18 inch (or so) lines that meet up to a -8an bulkhead on the front part of the sled tin?

so my line would run under here

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and hook to a bulkhead connection. this way, if/when i pull the engine, i can simply disconnect the lines. pro's? cons?

another couple shots

i got a little silly with the welder a while ago, and boxed in my moustache bar for some added clearance.

i also found out the intakes i got with a 36 DRLA deal wont work Mad these are what i have, and the fan shroud interferes

what would be a good intake kit? may as well go all in with new linkage etc. whatever you gent's reccomend, it MUST clear the doghouse shroud

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bulkhead idea would work, but it's 4 more hose ends to buy, and then you have to crawl under to loosen them. I'd prefer to sit on my stool, and loosen the ones at the rear.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't have to worry about squatting...

but my concern was having a big hole in the sled tin, messing with airflow. at this point, whats a few more $$$ for some extra fittings

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put the oil filter in the left rear fenderwell the lines are short and 2 bolts and it just drops down if you pull the motor- does that not work with the van?
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a pair of 40's on ebay for $170, I blasted them and threw a rebuild kit on them and they are as good as new. You can do it for cheap if you are willing to wait. I actually paid more for my linkage.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALB wrote:
If you put the oil filter in the left rear fenderwell the lines are short and 2 bolts and it just drops down if you pull the motor- does that not work with the van?

guess i should have explained my case a little better....

the bus had a really well thought out oil cooler and filter setup on it when i got it. it had a filter pump with a adapter that allowed the oil lines to run forward.

the oil cooler is on the right hand side, just forward of the transmission, and the filter is bolted to the frame. i thought i had a photo...

found it

i am only going to run 1 cooler, and use a mocal sandwich plate t stat. hope that makes sense. if you look closely, you can see the lines run along side of the transmission. what i didn't like about this rig was they had a 2 inch hole in the 3-4 sled tin. i am trying to avoid that

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the CB manifolds, in a bus you can even use the "big beef" ones, plenty of room in a bus......
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Take a look at the CB manifolds, in a bus you can even use the "big beef" ones, plenty of room in a bus......

i looked on their website, and confused myself Embarassed is 1 better than the other?

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
75smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=537

I would try 3125, gives you every thing you need, it looks like your manifolds are straight or non-offset, which does have body clearance issues and fan shroud issues, the offset manifolds should eliminate that problem(you would need new linkage with offset manifolds, if yours are currently non-offset)

As to the oil cooler lines, use a clamp to the bottom of the sled tin(one in the middle should work) to help keep the lines from moving all over and keep airflow disruption to a minimum, then use a couple rubber seals when running the lines through the end

*edit* just thought of it, but a big downside to the bulkhead connection would be oil left in the lines, and the possibility of spilling it- maybe end caps could solve that though

My engine build
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are like four kinds of manifolds
Extra Offset sedan ones (fits in engine compartment of a bug with stock shroud)
Regular ones
Tall ones (big beef)
short ones (for type3)

I donno the part numbers but if I were you I'd get the tall ones, but I guess that's a matter of your priorities.. I like torque Wink

I see you already have the CB filter bases, take a pic and maybe we can see if they are made for straight or offset manifolds
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info guys!

modok~ i am a fan of torque myself. i will call CB, and see if the big beef will work for me, and order the linkage kit too.

the bases i have now do not seem to be offset at all Mad

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is actually fairly easy to use those filter bases with straight manifolds, I have done it twice. You just have to make a little adapter plate to move the left side of the linkage rearward a little to clear the shroud, out of lets say 1/8" plate steel, can bolt it to the two holes on the filter base, then have a hole drilled an inch rear in the plate to hold the linkage. I betcha you have more than enough skills to figure that out Very Happy
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
It is actually fairly easy to use those filter bases with straight manifolds, I have done it twice. You just have to make a little adapter plate to move the left side of the linkage rearward a little to clear the shroud, out of lets say 1/8" plate steel, can bolt it to the two holes on the filter base, then have a hole drilled an inch rear in the plate to hold the linkage. I betcha you have more than enough skills to figure that out Very Happy

i thought of that, but truth be told, it was a bit too junkyard for me. if it was going in something i didn't care about, i may consider it, but it will be living in here:

dont mind the dust Embarassed

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit of an update. got me some Dell's from ACE

i just need to figure out the last of my list and email John at aircooled.net

truth be told, my accident has taken more of a mental toll on me than i thought. my heart isn't in it these days. at any rate, i have not given up the build, just taking a bit longer than i hoped, but being out of work for 6 weeks didn't help either...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
KopfenJager
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it up bro. We love your build so far! Cool
vwpieces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My WEB 86 finally arrived today... Reminded me about the 71 front tin... Yeah I forgot & haven't been to the shop for a while.

OK get to work & give me some motivation.
81 Turbo Diesel Jabbit
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwpieces wrote:
My WEB 86 finally arrived today... Reminded me about the 71 front tin... Yeah I forgot & haven't been to the shop for a while.

OK get to work & give me some motivation.

hey buddy! i was going to call you and remind/tell you what i found out with the 16V.

hopefully i will have the last of my shopping list put together tonight. i emailed john at ac.net and the heads usually ship out in about 5 days. once i get the heads, it is all down to assembly

i guess i should call the machine shop see how they are doing on my balance job.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
vwpieces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gimmee a call, wondering what's up with the truck.

Think I'm leaning on the 1800cc SP.
Thick wall 88X74mm
81 Turbo Diesel Jabbit
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit of an update/couple of questions. i got some stuff in from ac.net, but am still waiting on my heads.

i got some scat rocker shafts:

i was going to go ahead and set them up, but before i do, should i wait for the heads i will be using? or is it ok to set them up anyway? (using my exsisting mock up heads)

from the research i have done, i want no more than .005 side play, and the center spacer needs to get pushed to one intake or the other, and shims go on only 1 side, is that correct?

using the stock rocker as a guide, i want the adjusters to be offset just a hair, like so...

sorry for the bad photo's. i guess after 8 years in the shop, my auto correct has taken a dirt nap

nick, the r/t is running great, and thanks again for the missing tin.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: