Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plastic Fender inserts
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Plastic Fender inserts Reply with quote

Has anybody here ever thought about making plastic fender inserts for the bus, the kind like modern cars have? I have been contemplating getting a large sheet of ABS Plastic and slowly heating it and shaping it to the desired shape. After I fix the rust in my fenders I don't want them rusting out again and it seems inevitable where I live with road salt and all.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless, the metal under the liner is heavily treated, the liner will serve little purpose, and rust will still be an issue IMHO. You would be better off with a parafin or petroleum based coating and an annual maintenance inspection. Look at a modern day VW; beneath the liner is some very heavily treated body metal. The best thing you can do is keep it out of the conditions that will cause rust. These buses were not built to last against water and salt.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything the plastic will trap moisture and grime working its way into corrosion. I thought of this sort of thing as well as I like the looks it can provide for off road looking applications. In the end, I left it be.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If done correctly this could be a good rust preventer and cut ross noise considerably. Werksberg is a great plastics supplier but I'm unsure if he has thermo forming capabilities to do this correctly.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys may have them. They do for the 412.
[url] http://www.lokari.de/epages/62716287.mobile/en_GB/...2242[/url]
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do have them for the bus! Thanks reluctantartist!
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
They do have them for the bus! Thanks reluctantartist!

I think you could use them with the condition they came off once a year to inspect and that there is plenty of breathing space around them. If they are up against the body they will trap water and cause rust. Where does a bus rust? from inner areas that trap water and along seams. Rust doesn't typically occur on painted areas where there is adequate air on both sides (except by the beach).
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the fender inserts - Do it like the Finns do...

http://www.lokari.de/WebRoot/Store20/Shops/62716287/MediaGallery/Lokari-Poster_Airport2_A3.pdf
http://www.lokari.de/WebRoot/Store20/Shops/62716287/MediaGallery/Lokari-Poster_Dessous_A3.pdf

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reluctantartist wrote:
These guys may have them. They do for the 412.
[url] http://www.lokari.de/epages/62716287.mobile/en_GB/...2242[/url]

Amazing they would have them for a 412. The 411/412's actually need them more than most vehicles as they have cavities that hold a lot of dirt and thus rust out badly. I will have to check and see what they have for 72-93 Dodge pickups. A nicely made fiberglass inner fender would eliminate a lot of age issues on those rigs. I will probably make a set if I can find some.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main concern is where the rocker comes into the front fender and has all those joints and seams in that little area. It was such a stupid design for VW to make it that way. It's like a rust magnet there. The fenders would solve that problem and cut down significantly on the road noise coming in the cab. I think I'm gonna spring for them and install them when my rust repair is done.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: