Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Direction of 36hp fuel pump pushrod.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Direction of 36hp fuel pump pushrod. Reply with quote

I'm wondering what is the proper direction of fuel pump pushrod on a 36hp. I just removed the leaking made in USA fuel pump and rebuilt the car's original German pump. I didn't pay attention that the pump pushrod had one flat end and one with a little bevel / round-ish end. Looking at the original pump I assumed the rounded end goes into the pump. Is this correct?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: push rod Reply with quote

Dr.Darby,
I believe the beveled end goes towards the engine and the flat end goes to the pump.
60 ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxic56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would having it in wrong cause the hinge pin on the fuel pump to work its way out? I rebuilt my german fuel pump and the hinge pin keeps working its way out and I have to take it off and fix it.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: pump Reply with quote

toxic56,
I don't think it would cause your pin to fall out. What happened to me when I rebuilt mine was that the original pin is swedged in there and it came out. I was on my way to VWOTG in CO when it came out so I put it all back together and clamped on a pair of vise grips to get me down to CO. I ended up driving it that way till the next VWOTG(if it ain't broke don't fix it attitude).I was going to rig up a pin for it with 2 c-clips but I had an old pump with this style of pin in it so I used it.
60ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxic56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you 60ragtop very much for the reply. Sorry DrDarby to get off your topic somewhat.

I will try another base that I have and/or try a new pin with c clips.

Chris
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pump rebuild kits have a pin with two Circlips. I didn't touch my original pin or operating arm as it looked in great shape.
55reasons
Samba Swamp Cooler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the rebuild kits hinge pin isn't long enough to stick out far enough to put the circlips on, so don't be surprised there.

....and the plastic guide spacer from CIP1 was VERY POOR quality. Hole drilled crooked, oil flow hole too small (and plugged with plastic shavings) etc...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: