Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inside Front Bumper Bracket, Where Can I Get A Set?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Inside Front Bumper Bracket, Where Can I Get A Set? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if a company makes these brackets? I need two of them for a bumper I picked up today and I'm hoping I can find them.

Thank you,
Spitty

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just about bet that you'll end up either buying a ruined bumper with good brackets, or fabbin' them up. Not saying that no one makes 'em, just thinking out loud.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
I'd just about bet that you'll end up either buying a ruined bumper with good brackets, or fabbin' them up. Not saying that no one makes 'em, just thinking out loud.

I think zozo iz ( Laughing ) correct....sorry, I could not help myself.
You could fab some up from stock steel that any good hardware store would carry.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your already asking for new brackets which means youll be taking these off. Already going to weld the new ones back on. Why not just repair these brackets?
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^X2

Cut off the existing ones using an Exacto Roto-Loc cutoff wheel (Best thing EVER!). Pound those babies flat, weld up the rips, patch as needed and roll. I had to take off the mounts on some bumpers to get to some heinous dents on the blade in that area. If you make a very thin cut throught the weld it is easy-peasy to weld the plate back on in the correct location. Much more satisfying than just buying new ones, IMHO.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points! I do have a bumper I bought off a Samba member that was suppose to only have surface rust and when I got it, it was totally way pitted, beyhond surface rust. After blasting it would need a ton of metal filler, so I opted for this bumper today from a guy in my neck of the woods. This one was $60 bucks, be cause the brackets were toast. Maybe I have to use the two on the severely pitted bumper. I was hoping to not have to do that. The guy did give a 1/2 refund and told me if I head down to LA I can bring it for a full refund. That was better than nothing, since I had paid for shipping from LA to the Bay Area.

Anyway, I'm taking a welding class next semester so I can learn how to weld so I can make the repairs myself.

Think I could ask Klassicfab if they would make them? I checked Autocraft, it looks like they do not make them. I wanted an original bumper but the we repop is looking good right about now.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type and year bus is the bumper being mounted on?
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
What type and year bus is the bumper being mounted on?

It is a front bumper for my 1966 bus, it is a slash bumper. It came with a slash in the back, so I decided I wanted the slash in the front. I think originally it came with a pointed. I have a pointed but I like the look of the slash in the front as well.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I asked Gerson and he got back to me and told me that KF does not make that part. I will contact the guy I talked to at Autocraft in England, maybe they make them, or can make them. If not, my last attempt will be to ask WW if they might be able to sell me a pair or get a pair from the manufacture that makes there repop bumpers.

If those two options do not pan out, I will try and repair the ones I have or cut the pair off of the super pitted bumper that I have.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: