Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Product review: Deluxe dash console
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great timing that this topic came back up!

My padded brown dash is completely cracked and looks terrible. I found a pre-'85 (brown) dash last weekend and also just ordered this dash console from Bus Depot, so this is my next project.

I'm thinking I'll relocate my gauges to the front of the console as well, and am also thinking about painting the dash black as part of my overall plan to transition all of my interior bits from brown to black. Much to think about.

I'll post plenty of pics once I get going on it. If LSU wins tomorrow, it will be January. If the unthinkable happens and LSU does not win, it'll be next weekend. Smile

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EwokPoacher wrote:
i had them installed, here is a pic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

How did you install these? Did you have to take a blade to the cupholders and ashtray hole?

I got the dash console yesterday from Eurocampers and have been working on a plan of action for attaching it to a non-padded dash.

The area behind that large front face is very, very shallow...I can't see how VDO gauges from a cabriolet will fit there. Any ideas?

Thanks

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who removed that extra dash monster?
I think that the dash board grows to enormous proportions, didn't like it at all and that thing was one of first items that I got rid of.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svenakela wrote:
Am I the only one who removed that extra dash monster?
I think that the dash board grows to enormous proportions, didn't like it at all and that thing was one of first items that I got rid of.

Did it have gauges mounted in the front of it? If so, how were they mounted?

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Pre-85 black dash = impossible.
Black dashes only back to 1987 & only brown before that...

Have you seen this thread? Gauges - Post Pics!

Good luck with your project.

My housemate has a 1984 Vanagon Wolfsberg which was the first US production model(that I know of) to have the black dash as well as some other features such as tach.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curses!
Perhaps I should have said "not likely"...???

Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[OT]
jsmitch11 wrote:

My housemate has a 1984 Vanagon Wolfsberg which was the first US production model(that I know of) to have the black dash as well as some other features such as tach.

The 1983 brochure shows a blue passenger Vanagon GL with a black dash. The blue 1982 Vanagon GL also came with a blue interior (no pics in the brochure), and I doubt they would've put a brown dash in it. Sick The 1981 brochure lists a black vinyl interior, and specifically states "All campers have brown dashboards," which leads one to believe that the 1981 black passenger van interior had a black dash.

Anxious

[/OT]
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
[OT]
jsmitch11 wrote:

The 1983 brochure shows a blue passenger Vanagon GL with a black dash. The blue 1982 Vanagon GL also came with a blue interior (no pics in the brochure), and I doubt they would've put a brown dash in it. Sick The 1981 brochure lists a black vinyl interior, and specifically states "All campers have brown dashboards," which leads one to believe that the 1981 black passenger van interior had a black dash.

Anxious

[/OT]

I stand corrected.
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Product review: Deluxe dash console Reply with quote

[quote="goffoz"]Tell me about that glove box/tray unit under your dash

bljones wrote:

yes, please Very Happy
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were an option (or maybe standard?) on early air-cooled models; I've pulled a couple in junkyards and sold them. I've also seen them in pictures of stripped-down german dokas. I considered using one, but figured everything would just fly out of it over bumps, so I stuck with the glove box.

I was shocked by how sought-after they were. Sold them on Ebay back before Ebay was horrible.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
smaurer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

for reviewing this dash unit. I've been eyeballing it for a couple weeks now. Very helpful information. I have a 83.5 Westy so it should be a straightforward install utilizing all the tips listed here. I took a chance and ordered a 2" digital tach and scouted a single pivot pod so hopefully I'll be able make them all work together. Still need to repair my clock but all other gauges work fine. Thanks again!
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Bumpity bump! Reply with quote

Bump and questions....

I have NO options to have a drink in my 84 Doka and I am not a big fan of the center isle consoles, so I have been looking at the following from the Busdepot:

https://www.busdepot.com/j13123

Does anyone out there have a review or any experience with this type of console? BD seems hopelessly vague about it. Is it true that you DRILL into your dash, does it mount by sliding into the ashtray hole?

The map table console seems a bit much for me, I don't see why my passenger can't just open it on their knees. Eurocamper also has a small console that allows you to keep your ashtray free, and it attaches by an adhesive. So besides trimming (which I shouldn't have to do on my 84 non-padded dash) what else is involved with the install? SCREWS?

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumpity bump! Reply with quote

Bman wrote:

Does anyone out there have a review or any experience with this type of console? BD seems hopelessly vague about it. Is it true that you DRILL into your dash, does it mount by sliding into the ashtray hole?

The map table console seems a bit much for me, I don't see why my passenger can't just open it on their knees. Eurocamper also has a small console that allows you to keep your ashtray free, and it attaches by an adhesive. So besides trimming (which I shouldn't have to do on my 84 non-padded dash) what else is involved with the install? SCREWS?

I have one of these and absolutly love it. It is only secured by driving a few screw down into the dash. If you have a padded dash the console has to be trimmed to fit. After I fit mine I used sikkaflex to seal the edges. Holds drinks perfect and I added gauges below the cupholders.

My Van syncro conversion/restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535730&highlight=black+diamond
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumpity bump! Reply with quote

Bman wrote:
Bump and questions....

I have NO options to have a drink in my 84 Doka and I am not a big fan of the center isle consoles

Mount a couple of flip out cup holders on the passenger side seat pedestal facing the e-brake.
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3043&category_id=&category_parent_id= OR
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1062_128/black_folding_cup_holder_with_articulating_arms.html

They are less permanent for a future owner and look correct.
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where do you drive the screws in, underneath the final console (it says 2 part fitting)? Does the screws remain in plain sight if you take the console off and revert to stock? I don't want any ugly holes to be present in an otherwise perfect early model black dash.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bman wrote:
So where do you drive the screws in, underneath the final console (it says 2 part fitting)? Does the screws remain in plain sight if you take the console off and revert to stock? I don't want any ugly holes to be present in an otherwise perfect early model black dash.

The screws go towards the windshield(the back of the dash console) They go right into the dash. When I pulled mine off I have ugly holes through dash pad and dash. I don't mind casue the console is staying.

My Van syncro conversion/restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535730&highlight=black+diamond
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would like to find out about the glove box/tray under the dash. my glove compartment has sort of been broken/displaced by the aftermarket ac in my van. I've thought about a wicker tray like you see in bugs. but I need something!
cris torlasco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my first attempt. Worked well, but visibility of the gauges was not optimal, maybe cause I am on the tall side of things. I then installed a new dash tray with the slanted accesory shown earlier in this thread (got them on eBay) and that made things much better. I will post a photo when I can, for comparisson. Wasn't easy to get the gauges to hold firmly with the slanted angle, but in the end I managed. Yes, the ashtray and cup holders are gone. I placed a low profile black plastic tray over the holes, which you can still take out in case you want to service the gauges.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

debbiej wrote:
I too would like to find out about the glove box/tray under the dash. my glove compartment has sort of been broken/displaced by the aftermarket ac in my van. I've thought about a wicker tray like you see in bugs. but I need something!

In my experience it seems that the open glove box was a standard for the Dokas, even up to the 1990 year models; I would look for them used from some Euro vendors (Gunzel, Lars at Tristar). I have never had any problem with stuff flying out over bumps and road irregularities.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one of those BD medium models (without the map tray); I'll report back here when and if I install (depending on how big those screw holes will be).

FaceHook:
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bman wrote:
In my experience it seems that the open glove box was a standard for the Dokas, even up to the 1990 year models; I would look for them used from some Euro vendors (Gunzel, Lars at Tristar). I have never had any problem with stuff flying out over bumps and road irregularities.

That is a european and early model thing. I have seen lots of trucks with glove boxes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: