Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 65 Standard
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KombiMarc wrote:
Nice score, have fun! I have a 65 Kombi, quick question, is that the stock,seat belt mounting location? I see there is a plug in the base where mine are mounted, right being seat in corner, just curious if anyone knows.

Have fun looks good..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Theat seat belt is mounted to the grab handle stud!!! It will fail instantly in an accident.

The plugs by the doors and in the tire well are the real belt mounts. You will need to get the adapter bushings from a vendor to install most newer belts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccb_dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! Thanks, didn't put 2 and 2 together on that one.
dubstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the little white plastic plugs with the + on top (lower left corner and in the indentation in the middle of the seat area) are where lap belts should be mounted...available with mounting hardware at wolfsburg west

http://instagram.com/john_aka_dubstar/
http://web.stagram.com/n/john_aka_dubstar/

"you could transport really tall things too, like a giraffe"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccb_dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I found some bolts that fit and moved the belt to that exact hole Dubstar. I might order some new belts though.

Actually I'm having kind of a tough time here...the bus is overall in good condition and runs great. Motor seems strong and gears seem smooth. There is some rust that needs to be addressed and some interior bits that need addressing as well. My issue is I'm already feeling overwhelmed with the little bits that need to be done. Do you guys typically just drive yours and fix the minor stuff along the way or do you take it apart and handle everything at once?
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccb_dan wrote:
Do you guys typically just drive yours and fix the minor stuff along the way or do you take it apart and handle everything at once?

I do. If I were to wait until every last thing were done, every last detail addressed, I would NEVER drive it.

If it's safe and mechanically sound, drive it. Enjoy it. Fix the little crap as you go.
ccb_dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dude. I just feel like I'm getting caught up in the little crap. The motor and trans are good, the brakes are good...I'm just gonna throw the seats back in, throw down a mat on the cargo floor and drive it for now.

Just found out my good friend's brother is a welder so I'll hit him up when I'm ready to tackle the rust.
dubstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's fun (for me) to get packages in the mail, find parts at swap meets, or trade with friends to get the little things along the way...

http://instagram.com/john_aka_dubstar/
http://web.stagram.com/n/john_aka_dubstar/

"you could transport really tall things too, like a giraffe"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccb_dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I spent the weekend painting the wheels and rather than put the crappy old, dented, nasty hub caps on I ordered some new ones.

I'm hoping to drive it across the state in November to the Bulli Brigade meet and maybe meet some of you and find some parts for it!
ccb_dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple pics from today. Since I got it I haven't done too much. Had Josh @ Independent German Auto give it some love and now it runs really well. Above the belt line is down to the OG Blue/White except for the nose...haven't tackled that yet.

It was lowered when I got it...I thought it was cool at first but now I want to raise it back up to stock height but that's gonna have to wait until I get some metal replacement done and some more interior work done. It's pretty solid all in all but still I'd like to get all the bad spots taken care of.

Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Dan! It didn't take you too long to get it down to the O.G. paint. It looks decent too. I'm glad you intend on keeping it stock. We can always press your spindles apart and raise the back to stock height without too much trouble.

Jay should have the plugs for the seat belts. He had them along with the belts he was going to put in his truck.

Keep up the good work,
Josh
(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
1961 L-380 Turkis Deluxe Beetle
1985 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (work in progress - EG33 swap)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. Do you plan on uncovering the green?
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed the jail bars in the hatch window. Mine has them as well, and for what it's worth, they LOOK like they were there since the beginning. Is that normal for a standard of this vintage?
ccb_dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yeah Josh, I want to bring it back up to where it should be but I want to fix a few rusty spots first...gotta spend my $$ as best I can till I hit the Lotto! I'm gonna swing by the shop this week though and have you check something out for me though.

Yup, the plan is to get rid of the the blue...I like blue but it was a crappy paint job and since it appears as though the green is under there I'd like to try and bring it out if I can.

Yeah, I thought the jail bars in back were weird...I thought that was a Deluxe thing but mine appear to be original too..I'm no expert on these things though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: