Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Planning an epic journey
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetle08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Planning an epic journey Reply with quote

Hello,

I am a long time VW owner, long time Samba follower/stalker and am planning a journey from the Pacific Northwest to Tiera del Fuego.

I have owned air-cooled VWs and Porsches. I am somewhat familiar with Vanagons, but need some general advice. I am looking to purchase a 2WD Westfalia that I can prep for the journey. I have read the forums and found the packing topics, some blogs of people that are on this journey, and good resources on how to prep the car.

From reading, it seams that 86 or up is the way to go. My question is, what is the differences between 86-88 and 89-91. I would prefer to get the newest vehicle that I can, however it may be better to just purchase the more "solid vehicle". I would appreciate any feedback on what year range I should look at. I know my way around VW pretty well with electronics and mechanics, I just don't know which one would be the best vehicle.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Founder: 3 Pedal Posse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hippiepilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to check out http://www.drivenachodrive.com/ they're traveling around the world in their vanagon. He did some really cool mods.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats your budget for the van? When do you plan on leaving?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
juanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First: congratulations! Lots of people want to do a trip like this, few do.

As far as I know, the stock engine from 87 to 91 didn't change at all. 86 was the first 2.1 so I'm not sure it is exactly the same. Other than that, the trim and the color of the interior changed. From 89 on you get a less annoying closet door (you can open it with the table stowed). 88-91 have nicer looking bumpers. I wouldn't say the differences are significant...

So I would say-- the best Vanagon is one that you know. I got my Westy (an 89 with a GoWesty 2.2) at the end of 2009. For over two years, I got to know it, and tried to renew everything that made sense (fuel lines, radiator, misc cooling system parts, suspension, wheels, etc). The last thing I did was to get the auto transmission rebuilt.

Now I'm two months into a trip like the one you'll make. We left San Francisco in September, and are now driving around Mexico (we love this country so much that we'll stay AT LEAST the six months our tourist visas allow). Ultimate destination is Argentina, where I'm from originally. By now I feel like I know the van pretty well. I can tell if it's running ok from the way it sounds, and if any new sounds appear, I will know immediately.

So I think the main thing is, get to know the specific vehicle you'll take. Buy something asap and take it on lots of short trips. Change all the parts you can afford to change. Then by the time you are on the road it won't matter if it is a 91 or an 84.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a great idea, we are kind of resting from a 1 year trip around the US in lucy, i'd echo what juanb said, buy a bus drive it a lot before you set sail, so you are used to it before you leave, a shake down run or 5 will help you find what suits you with the bu, and what doesn't, set a budget for your bus, then a budget for things you may want to add on, solar, aux battery, inverter, and other upgrades, if you don't have the bentley bible yet, make sure you buy a copy.
have you bus checked over before you buy it.
if you are headed outside the US with it, you may want to carry some spares that are easy to find here, but not so easy in more remote areas
spare CV joints, rear wheel bearings, CV boots, brake hoses, pads and shoes, maybe ball joints, there's space under the floor that could accommodate these spares and more if you are willing to be creative

i would not bother looking for the newest bus you can find, IMHO look for something solid, i agree after '86, the 1.9 is a slug

be sure to document your travels

i'm sure juanb would have liked to have had spare CV joints with him Wink

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning an epic journey Reply with quote

beetle08 wrote:
...I would prefer to get the newest vehicle that I can, however it may be better to just purchase the more "solid vehicle"...

That would be my take -- that condition trumps age in this selection process.

The advice to put in enough miles to really know the beast is good -- I hadn't thought about it before but we drove our van for 6 years on semi-annual long trips before we did our 1-year sojourn. That no doubt gave us a lot of confidence & experience (2 things you'll need).
beetle08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses so far. I have been religiously reading drivenachodrive. This is an awesome resource and I'm taking lots of notes!

The goal is to head out in six months. I am budgeting 25K for the vehicle with all mods.

I'm looking to purchase within the next month and have a few Vanagons narrowed down. I'm anticipating certain upgrades right off the bat: ss coolant lines, 930 CV kits; plate underneath engine, replace all hoses, lift kit, gowesty bumpers, awning, secured front roof box. I already have roof racks, roof basket, and a roof box. I also have a low mileage Porsche G50 box which I'm thinking of transplanting, given the "fragility" of the Vanagon box. Plus the 5th gear would come in handy.

I'm also trying to figure out a reasonable monthly budget for this journey. So far from my estimates and reading various blogs; seems like $3500/month is more than adequate.

Founder: 3 Pedal Posse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SpeedoJosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the most reliable thing you can do to a vanagon is a Bostig conversion. I'm absolutely in love with my van.

I'm planning a similar trip next year as well. Currently getting the van in top shape. Solar, propex, TF49, etc....

Seems like engines, transmissions, and CVs are common things I've read about people having problems with on trips. So I'd start with making sure those are in top shape. Most everything else isn't a trip killer if it goes bad.

For 25k you can have a sweet set-up. But, if you can budget it, and don't mind having a Ford engine, I'd research the Bostig conversion a bit.

Also, check out Burley's products for the Vans. He makes top quality stuff.

-Josh
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think JuanB's advice on getting to know the vehicle before leaving is spot on. What he's describing is that synergistic relationship a human and machine form with time and familiarity.

A slight vibration and he'll instantly hold up a hand to "shush" his wife and listen. From then on while driving he will feel/listen for that and eventually from varying slight things under way (throttle, steer back and forth, etc) he will deduce that a rear wheel bearing is going, for instance.

That's the kind of relationship you should have with a vehicle like a Vanagon in order to take it on a long, unsupported journey. Somewhere parked near a palm tree on a windy evening, Juan is nodding his head in agreement. You will need to notice things like the battery not turning the engine over as quickly, so you can replace it in the next big city on your journey rather than have it die one morning at a remote camp - that kind of stuff.

So, condition trumps the year though I think 86 and newer would be my preference. And above all, get to know the vehicle before departing.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
juanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug--that made me laugh!

The only things you got wrong were that we're urban camping now, in San Miguel de Allende, and that when I hold my hand up to shush my girlfriend, she says "what? what?" a few times, so the listening usually has to wait a little Very Happy

beetle08--I also follow Drive Nacho Drive, of course. I'd only say that I disagree (and highly) with Brad's opinion of Latin American mechanics. They are not hacks, you just have to know how to look for one (same is true anywhere, USA included). More, there is a "can do" attitude here that I'm sure can help you come out of a problem faster than in the US. I suppose speaking Spanish helps, but his comments about Latin American mechanics and technicians would have you think that they are little more than little kids with wrenches, which, um, is not true. Rolling Eyes

So the other piece of advice would be, if you don't speak Spanish, use these six months to learn as much as you can. Your trip will be way better from it Smile

PS: my luggage compartment box is currently secured just with an unlocked strap...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newest US Vanagon is now over 20 years old so "newest" doesn't count for a thing. You want one that has a solid body first and then a good drivetrain second. Both the original engines and original transmissions gave problems with time, so quality rebuild mechanicals may actually to be preferable over engines and trannys with moderate or even low miles. Suspensions do wear with miles, so low miles would be better there.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juanb wrote:
... I'd only say that I disagree (and highly) with the opinion of Latin American mechanics. They are not hacks, you just have to know how to look for one (same is true anywhere, USA included). More, there is a "can do" attitude here that I'm sure can help you come out of a problem faster than in the US. I suppose speaking Spanish helps, but his comments about Latin American mechanics and technicians would have you think that they are little more than little kids with wrenches, which, um, is not true. Rolling Eyes

So the other piece of advice would be, if you don't speak Spanish, use these six months to learn as much as you can. Your trip will be way better from it Smile

Those are Words of Wisdom spoken there by Juan.

And a traveler will do well to emulate that "can-do" attitude, themselves.
As soon as one's attitude turns sour.. EVERYthing turns sour. ..doesn't matter if you're in Palm Springs, Tierra dF, or somwhere in between.

I have had very good luck with mechanics in Baja, as an example.. I mean, these guys know whow to fix stuff with much less fancy-shmancy gear/tools.. And that often works to the travelers advantage.

Hey Juan!
Glad to see you checking in here, now and then.
Hope those hammocks are getting a work out.
(Saw the note in the blog.. around that time my kid was lolling about in ours... up here on the Norcal coast Laughing )
Cheers!

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have $25k to spend on a reliable van, I'd get the most rust free one you can and do an engine conversion. I like Subaru conversions but there are others that are reliable as well.

The newer vans are "nicer" aesthetically but are no more reliable than the older ones. Getting an older solid van at a good price will allow you to put more money towards getting it reliable mechanically. You should be able to get a solid van, have a conversion done professionally, new cooling system, brakes, and a few upgrades.

Sounds like a fun trip!
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vango Conversions wrote:
...and do an engine conversion.

I'd not do that unless I had 6 months to a year, or more, to shake out ALL the bugs. And learn that new engine inside and out.

I've watched too many people buy expensive boats with BIG plans to sail to warmer climates.. only to have the boat sit.. for years.. while systems are swapped and "upgraded" and on and on.. BIG $$$$!
Now.. SOME people do eventually go. I admire the ones who can plan out thier expedition 5 yrs in advance. But unless you have that "perosnality-type" and a pile of dough.. Keep it simple. Keep it within reach.

I'd caution not to get carried away. Keep the van relatively stock.

The more modified/custom you go.. the more the owner has to expect to cover thier own hineys on repairs and parts sourcing.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
a1fa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get you a Ford E350 7.3 IDI NA, and be done with it. Very Happy
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: trip Reply with quote

I would stay as stock as possible. EVERYONE knows these vws therefore better chance of repairs/parts. As for 930 s I wouldnt do it, stay stock. I recently went on a trip with a friend that had just installed new 930s and within a few hundred miles they blew ! The fun started when we looked for new or replacement parts.
juanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, stock is better, unless, as Jim says, you have tons of time to learn the kinks of your conversion. Or, say, if you get a Zetec, Subaru, TDI or 1.8T that has already been converted a few years ago and is known to be running trouble-free.

Mechanics here don't necessarily have a lot of experience with the WBX, since it was never imported to Latin America. But VWs in general have a huge following, and every big city will have a club with members who will be able to point you to a mechanic that knows these things.
garryv84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planning the same trip too. Here's my recommended list so far:

Rebuild motor to a 2.2 with extra oil cooler (oil to air)
Rebuild tranny by AA transaxle with SA oiling plates and steel retainer plate
Install tranny cooler (like Alaric H, "my attempt at a transaxle cooler")
Replace all fuel lines
New altenator, water pump, fuel pump - keep old ones as spares
Rebuild every componet of the fuel injection system
New radiator
New off road tires like BFG All terrian 195/75/14 plus TWO SPARES!
Extra jerry gas cans on bumper (like GoWesty)
Rebuild all suspension and brakes
Bring lots of spare parts, there are not many water cooled vanagons in South America

Have all this completed 6 months to a year before you go. You need lots of shake down miles on this rig before you go. You need to be able to fix it on the side of the road by yourself. The machanics down there do not know how to fix vanagons and will only make it worse. Never let anyone fix your van without watching them every second.

The weekest thing about these vans is the tranny. Everything I have read on a trip like this, is that it will break in the Andes. Look at Drive Nacho Drive is going thru. Lesson learned.

Here's my thread "What upgrades to buy for my Pan American Hwy trip?" Lots of suggestions from people who have made the trip.

Good luck on your adventure, just be prepared for any and everything!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with A1fa. For an epic long journey on rough roads I'd look for a 10 year old full size American van with a good old 350 V8. Spend $150 changing all the fluids and belts and hoses, put BFG's on it and head out. I see them all the time with 80,000 miles for $5000 around here. Some are quality camper conversions, too for only a couple thou more. Plenty of power, ice cold A/C, way more interior space, far more durable, and spare parts on shelves in every little dirt road town. Incredibly, they only get a few MPG less than a loaded Vanagon.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
juanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I'm with A1fa. For an epic long journey on rough roads I'd look for a 10 year old full size American van with a good old 350 V8.
[...]
DougM

The only problem is that, then you'll be driving a Ford Smile

If I were to start a trip like this from scratch, and if I weren't in love with my Vanagon, I would come to Mexico for a few months, and I would buy a used Nissan Urvan, Toyota Hiace, or hey, a VW T5, there are brand new TDI ones here. Then I'd camperize it, lift the suspension a bit, and use that. I estimate that for $15K you could have an awesome vehicle.

And you would have a Mexican license plate, which is probably better than a US one in terms of people expecting you to be a gringo with money.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: