Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY window tint ?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
t'sunamibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: DIY window tint ? Reply with quote

I want to re tint my westys windows while I have them out for panel replacment. Has anyone taken this on with good results?
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...buy high quality film...the cheap stuff "purples with age" I used 3M 5% rear 3...!0% on the middle sides and a strip of 10% over the windshield
..(Not allowed to do the fronts in Kali)
Had to buy it from a installer. went on easy, saved about $100 on the labor.
The installer guy was very helpful. I tipped him a $20 Starbucks card.
Took me 3hrs...He said he could have done it in 2hr.
So about $30/hr to me..better than I do at my paying job/before taxes Rolling Eyes
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes 'em purple is ANY amonia mixed in the cleaner,read the contents before using.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose anything this side of brain surgery can be attempted DIY -- but this was one area where I had seen so many cars with crappy results that I went with an installer.

In my case there was a Groupon which was the starting point for negotiation -- but (at least in the case of the firm I went to) the price on the wall is extemely flexible esp if you are looking at a high-end product like the 3M Crystalline.

That stuff BTW works very well blocking light but also blocking heat which is the main reason I wanted tint. Also has a life-time guarantee including that it won't turn purple.

The installer also suggested Sprayway Glass Cleaner for use on the tint side. Available at Costco.
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of having mine done, but the area behind the rear closet is impossible unless the whole thing is removed, and that looks formidable.

Is it possible to remove just the closet without all the overhead stuff?
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had the Thingamajigger painted, I had all the windows tinted. Was a very low tint; more UV ray protection than privacy motivation.

Cost me $300 plus the states portion - guaranteed not to bubble or change color for as long as I own the vehicle, and no hassles.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t'sunamibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill have to check into the 3m product. Mine has taken on a purple tint and has some pretty scratched up areas. Im a glazier and we have a company come into our shop regularly to apply various films like uv, tint, graffiti etc.
Ive always been one to do for myself vs pay someone else.
t'sunamibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWYellowstone wrote:
I was thinking of having mine done, but the area behind the rear closet is impossible unless the whole thing is removed, and that looks formidable.

Im my case, with an aircooled westy I removed all the cabinets to get access to all the spot welds. You have to remove the top cabinet ( very easy and its not heavy at all) and you should be ble to slide the closet far enough away from the window to get at it. If not , and I had to to remove the closet, pull the engine cover and that gives you enough room to tilt the closet in order to remove it.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t'sunamibus wrote:
Ill have to check into the 3m product. Mine has taken on a purple tint and has some pretty scratched up areas. Im a glazier and we have a company come into our shop regularly to apply various films like uv, tint, graffiti etc.
Ive always been one to do for myself vs pay someone else.

Well that changes the parameters a bit.

Seems like you can get product for cost and already have the tools needed. Just do it in a dust free environment or you will hate yourself in the morning.

LP
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWYellowstone wrote:

I just had the tint shop remove that window, put the tint on it and pop it back in. They are also a glass replacement business (common for the same business to do both) so it was no big deal for them.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWYellowstone wrote:

My local installer said they can do it without removing the cabinet. Call around and find someone that has experience.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you already have the windows out - that's more than half the battle.

I did mine 6 years ago while having out for repaint. Still in perfect shape.

Just bought the right tint from a local big box store and did it myself. As everyone says - clean, clean, clean. No additives in the water, and squeegee well before re-assembling.

The back hatch window is another story due to the curve and demister lines. I didn't tackle that one.
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
BillWYellowstone wrote:

My local installer said they can do it without removing the cabinet. Call around and find someone that has experience.

Mine said the same thing. I caught him as he was putting the tint on the outside of the window. He said that "the guide said to do it this way." Is there is a guide that directs those guys on how to do specific cars? BTW, I'd already taken out all the cabinets. Rolling Eyes

82 Diesel Westy
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had LLumar tint installed on all windows except the front three, and it was $250. He did the one behind the cabinet too (on the inside) and did a pretty good job, considering. There are a few pieces of dirt under the tint on that window but not really noticeable.

Since then I've installed a custom rear slider and did the tint on that myself. Clean, clean, clean, to get all the dirt off the inside. It turned out just fine.

It's gonna be a pain getting the old tint off the hatch window without ruining the defroster lines.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One nice thing about having them to the tint on the closet window by removing it -- I had them take the window out the day before the tint job was scheduled so I could give that curtain back there a thorough cleaning. I don't think it had ever been cleaned -- much easier to do with the window out.
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home Team Van wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:
BillWYellowstone wrote:

Mine said the same thing. I caught him as he was putting the tint on the outside of the window. He said that "the guide said to do it this way." Is there is a guide that directs those guys on how to do specific cars? BTW, I'd already taken out all the cabinets. Rolling Eyes

He was using the outside of the window as a template to cut it to size before installing on the inside. My installer did the same thing.

If you do install yourself be sure to take the sliders apart and tint all the way to the edge. Very easy to do with a couple of spreader clamps.
srmpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
I suppose anything this side of brain surgery can be attempted DIY -- but this was one area where I had seen so many cars with crappy results that I went with an installer.

I tried both and would go straight to the installer the next time. it's definitely easier if you have the windows out but the rear window is still a challenge because it's not flat.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWYellowstone wrote:

I suggest simply removing the cheapo cardboard panel between the closet and the window. It pops out with a screwdriver in maybe 2 minutes. You gain more room in your closet, provide easy access for the window tint guy, and there's no need for it since you have tint and a curtain. I did this with no regrets.

-CJ
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noganav wrote:
...If you do install yourself be sure to take the sliders apart and tint all the way to the edge...

And if you take it to an installer you may want to remove the screens yourself before dropping it off.

Those plastic bits can be fragile and I assumed I would be more careful removing them than someone who is working against the clock.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: