Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who invented the VW towbar?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your not supposed to flat tow with a locked column. I bought a bug that was jack knifed from it. When I picked it up the rope was still tied locking the steering wheel.
The key to flat towing is having the tow vehicles ball low enough. You can't be picking up or lifting the VW.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest issues with using a tow bar on a stock VW usually come from the tow vehicle.

The longer distance you have between the rear axle of the tow vehicle and the ball, the worse things get.

If you have a long distance there (like many motor homes and some long bed pick ups) when you turn right, the ball actually moves left before it begins to move right.

So the poor VW first starts to turn left and then is suddenly pulled to the right.

This can start an oscillation in the steering of the VW with the steering wheel knocking lock to lock in each direction, or it gets stuck in one direction at full lock and just skids along until you stop.

But if you know what the situation is, you can simply plan for it by slowing down and giving the steering of the VW time to react.

As for apron damage, most times that is the result of poor ball height.

Of course if you are trying to tow into a steep driveway with a dip, thats simply the fault of the operator. You have to know what your limitations are, and trying to drag the poor car through something like that is like trying to back up. it just ain't gonna work.

But if you select your tow vehicle and your ball height correctly and have a decent tow bar, you should be able to tow for hundreds of thousands of miles with out damage or difficulty.
sts9292
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of tow bars .... My 76 is to low to tow. Does anyone know an alternative tow bar that I can use in a lowered Type 1. My searches have not produced anthing Crying or Very sad I really could use it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sts9292 wrote:
On the subject of tow bars .... My 76 is to low to tow. Does anyone know an alternative tow bar that I can use in a lowered Type 1. My searches have not produced anthing Crying or Very sad I really could use it

why not make something that bolts to the bumper mountings, will mean removing the bumper to tow but thats not a hard job
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your car may still be too low to try this. But, an adjustable height ball on your hitch helps. You usually end up on the lowest setting and the tow bar is only like an inch of the ground. Not very safe. Really only good for emergencys or dragging them home a short distance. On a low car you either need a jack or park on blocks of wood to get the bar mounted onto the beam.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sts9292
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you jack up the car to install the bar when you lower the jack the tow bar almost touches the road! I like the idea of using the bumper mounts, but I still can not believe that nobody has come up with a good design. mmmmm ... $$$$ ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sts9292 wrote:
Even if you jack up the car to install the bar when you lower the jack the tow bar almost touches the road! I like the idea of using the bumper mounts, but I still can not believe that nobody has come up with a good design. mmmmm ... $$$$ ?

Back in the mid-sixties that is the way we towed our Porsche 356 race cars back and forth from Minneapolis to Road America.
(we were too poor to afford trailers).
The bar pivoted at the mounting bracket so the hitch could move up and down as needed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: