Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old School Performance
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
G-wood Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Old School Performance Reply with quote

Here's one for some of you that have been around for a while. I'm doing a resto-custom on my 61 rag. Overall its in original condition, still 6volt with the original 40hp and I'd like to keep it that way but build an old school performance motor using the original motor. What were some options back in the day and what is still readily available today. Big bore kits? Cams? Heads? Dual carbs? Distributors? Exhaust? I'm aware of the old supercharger setup but don't want to go that route. What are my options. Thanks.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedwell dual carbs, Bosch 010 distributor with blue coil, Santana crank pulley, Fortuned headers or Abrath 4 tip.

Then do a simple port and polish, add a set of ratio rockers and you should be set.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a number of catalogs posted up on my web site... look through the 63 empi catalog and 65 speedwell catalogs.
http://www.amayesing.com/oldvwlit.htm

For the 40hp, a 69mm empi/okrasa or spg roller crank, 82 mm P/Cs (unobtainable so look for the 83s... and if You have some 82, pm me and I'll buy them today!), speedwell sprint carbs are good but there was also the center mount zenith ndix. bosch 010 as glenn suggested rounds out the typical hp kit of the day. I've heard several people state that porting and polishing a 40hp head is a waste of time. If you want something different, locate a shorrock supercharger. oh, there is always the 40hp okrasa kit and I believe there were some other dual port 40hp heads made in the UK for the formula V and SCCA crowd.
G-wood Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks for the helpfull info. Just a couple more questions. I have a 019 dizzy in great condition. What is the difference between this and an 010. And where can I find some of the engine parts listed in the above posts (especailly the speedwell carbs). I've checked a couple sites on the web and nobody seems to carry much in 40hp. Thanks for the help.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 019 has 17 degrees advance all in at 3500rpm. The 010 has 20 degrees advance all in at 2500rpm.

Good luck with speedwell carbs. My friend Bill has a set and if you have any specific questions you can emailhinm at [email protected]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently sold one of my sprint carb sets... i'm down to two sets now, one NOS (that glenn used to own) and another complete set that I will use on a 1300/1500 motor in the future. Mind you that most of the kits you find are for the 1300/1500 motor. of the 4 or 5 sets I've ever owned, all have had the adaptor ends for that and not the 36 or 40 hp. but anything can be made or modified.

vintage speed is elusive. be patient.
carl nolen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I had seen just about every kind of carb on a VW engine.Glenn's picture is incredible.Back in the day,my first VW engine rebuild was a hotrod 40 horse.In the winter of 1974,I convinced Mom that the engine in her 1965 needed rebuilding.You know you are in bad shape when you experiment on your Mom's car.I was in Mechanics trade school at the time taking engine class.Seemed like a proper project to me.The normal setup around here was:Holley 300cmf carb,019 dist,83mm big bore,reground cam(280 duration,.400 lift),1 3/8 extractor,power pulley,stock heads with hi rev springs,allum retainers.Might have made 60-70 horse on a good day.Went on out to the drags and the old hotrod 40 horse propelled the 65 to 18.90 ETs.Man,I was flying.I had put on a stinger just for the race.What a sound that thing made.Sure was cool at the time.Now 30 years later,I'm still dragin having fun.11.30's in a 63 now.That 18.90 seems so slow now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another period-correct piece would be the Judson Supercharger. it's a bolt-on (Make SURE your engine is in good shape before you mount one of these !!) and, properly tuned and oiled, they give a pretty dramatic increase in power. There were TWO Judson blowers for the VW, 36 horse and 40 horse, and they are NOT interchangeable. There's a great website from the UK, run by fellow Sambanista John Moxon, that has a wealth of knowledge on the differences between the two ( be careful, Judson made blowers for just about every Imported car out there during the heyday, even made them for Corvairs) how to rebuild them, make sure they are getting the proper oiling needed to keep both the bower and engine alive...I'm sure you could just do a search for "Judson" or autjor: John Moxon and find the site very easily.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: