Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Westy won't accelerate and idles rough
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: 1978 Westy won't accelerate and idles rough Reply with quote

I just replaced my fuel filter and fuel pump. If you recall my previous post was about me driving her 180 miles home with no problems. Days later I went to drive her and she would not go past 1/3 throttle in any gear. If you give her more gas than that she will not take it. Stopping at stop signs causes her to die almost every time. I have also used Dry Gas and put in Premium to "clean her out." What gives?

Also, when you turn the key to the ON position (right before you start it), is the fuel pump supposed to run all the time? I thought it was supposed to run for a few seconds and then stop.

Please help!
Brian
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: 1978 Westy won't accelerate and idles rough Reply with quote

I had something like this with my old bug when I first got it. Turned out to be plug wires were in wrong positions- did you change plugs?

* My fuel pump keeps running

It's a shot in the dark- good luck
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: 1978 Westy won't accelerate and idles rough Reply with quote

The fuel pump isn't supposed to run when the key is turned to on.

The pump runs when the key is in the start position and the pump get's power from the starter via the double relay. When the engine starts and the key is released back to the on position a switch in air flow meter (again via the double relay) keep the pump operating. When the engine is turned off the pump turns off in case of an accident.

From the sound of it the previous owner had a problem and wired the pump directly to the key on position.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nodtobob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: 1978 Westy won't accelerate and idles rough Reply with quote

on my first fuel injected bus, the wire going to the injector had actually came off, and caused it to not run on that cylinder just a thought check it out.
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: 1978 Westy won't accelerate and idles rough Reply with quote

Hold on a second- my pump runs when I turn the key on - not far enough to turn the engine, but just before - as in to turn on lights/check signals.
I can here it clicking (at least I thought it was the fuel pump). Is that right?
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: 1978 Westy won't accelerate and idles rough Reply with quote

Hold on a second- my pump runs when I turn the key on - not far enough to turn the engine, but just before - as in to turn on lights/check signals.
I can here it clicking (at least I thought it was the fuel pump). Is that right?
myk648
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: 1978 Westy won't accelerate and idles rough Reply with quote

Mine did the same thing and it ended up being the fuel injection. I replaced it with a carb and she runs like a dream now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: 1978 Westy won't accelerate and idles rough Reply with quote

I think in the previous thread you may have mentioned "fuel pressure regualtor" which implies you still have stock fuel injection, but let us know for certain because the answers to your problem would be different. If you have stock FI then RATWELL is correct that the fuel pump should not be running unless the engine is running or the key is in "start" (starter spinning). If the pump is running with the key "on" there must be a short in your double relay. Some people call this the combi (combination) relay. Could also be a short in your AFM. However, a short in the AFM may cause your pump to run all the time, but it shouldn't cause the other problems with no throttle response. A short in the double relay could cause both. If you have stock FI, your bus was running fine before, and your pump is indeed running with the key on and engine off, then I would check the double relay. Except for the problem with the pump running continuously the whole thing could also be a plain old fashioned vacuum leak or clogged fuel line between the tank and pump. If you have a carb then let us know.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: 1978 Westy won't accelerate and idles rough Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. After my easter egg troubleshooting, I finally realized that my stock fuel injected (sorry for not mentioning that before) has a bad air flow sensor. I did the resistance checks on the pins and they failed. With the connector unplugged from the air flow sensor it ran fine and the fuel pump stopped running all the time. I have ordered a new air flow sensor!! Thanks for the info!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: