Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mexican Bug and Barrien Nostalgia questions
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Grason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Mexican Bug and Barrien Nostalgia questions Reply with quote

I've had a Type 1 pan for a number of years. It was from a car I drove back in the 80s and it was in really rough shape even back then. It's a 1970 with IRS. The body had been really rusty and had been in a pretty bad accident and had never been repaired correctly before I bought it but the car drove ok. But finally, I had to stop driving it because the body was really starting to look unsafe. It really WAS in very bad condition. So I took it off the pan and cannabalized all the parts I thought I might need for a Manx. Then I sent the remains of the body to the recyclers. I've been planning on shortening the pan for the Manx style body and had decided that Barrien's Nostalgia buggy would be the way to go. I like it because it's very similar looks wise to the original Manx.

But recently, I took a driving trip through Mexico and was blown away by the amazing number of good looking bugs down there. There are absolute BAZZILIONS of them!! Some were in superb shape and really looked GREAT! What I wouldn't give to have one of my own. So I started checking prices. I saw several 2000-2003 models in the papers for a price that I can afford. But then the question is how can I license one in Tennessee? Here in Davidson County, (Nashville) our cars have to go through an emissions test once a year. The Mexican bugs have nothing in the way of a catylitic converter and no other smog controls so I don't see my being able to license it as a new bug. However, it DID occur to me that I still have the title and VINs for my 1970 pan. I had intended to use those for my Barrien Nostalgia, but why couldn't I just cut the VIN off the tunnel of my 1970 pan and weld it into position on the Mexican bug? Then I could license it as a 1970 model and I wouldn't have to pass the emissions test because in this state, a vehicle that old is exempt. Mind you, I'm not looking to start an importing business as I have other things that I do. I only want this car for myself.

So this means that I'd have to scrounge another pan for the Nostalgia so I decided I should just use Barrien's frame. So my question there is: "Has anyone had any experiences good or bad with Barriens pan?" What am I going to have to do that I wouldn't have had to do with the stock 1970 pan?"

Any ideas, guys?

One other thing. Here in Tennessee, there are only 2 counties in the entire state that require any kind of emmissions testing. Davidson (Nashville) and Shelby (Memphis.) I would have the misfortune of living in one of those counties. I CAN however, use my brother in law's address in the next county over and license anything there without having to pass the test. So has anyone had any experience bringing a Mexican bug into this country and then licensing it?

Do each day a little more than expected and soon you'll be expected to do more.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to do a search on this topic. There is a lot of info in the archives.

If you think you can cut the VIN out of the pan and weld it into a Mexican car, you are taking a huge risk. I know of one guy near me who did that and got caught. They took his car and crushed it, then in exchange for the car, they gave him a criminal record. There was a company in TX (?) that was doing it that way, then the US DOT found out. They siezed all the company records and traced all the cars they "converted" back to their current owners then went and siezed all those cars.
The legal way to do it is to take the whole pan to Mexico and bolt the parts of a Mexican car onto it. In the eyes of the law, you are just restoring the '70 using lots of new parts.
The Mexican cars all had modern digital EFI and catalytic converters for the last 10 years of production. The emission standards for Mexico are the same as those for the USA. Emissions are not your problem, US Customs won't let the car into the USA if its not a US car already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greg mgm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ya- what Bruce said!! Big no no on the cut and reweld the VIN #'s.
Hey Bruce, is it feasable to get a mexican type 1 engine (fuel injected of course) and use it for a manx, or baja? I'm not sure if its compatable. ......Not trying to hijack this thread!!
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be hard to adapt a Mexican FI engine for use in a Manx or Baja. I think you'd have the best luck if you go down to Tj and see if you can find a wrecked car that's still complete. You should be able to extract the FI's wiring harness from the body without damaging it. The ECU is on the left side opposite of where the battery lives.
Then you need to get the fuel pump accumulator that's mounted on the shelf opposite of where the master cylinder lives. The fuel tanks are the same as a carb'd Beelte tank. Your Manx or Baja will have to have a second fuel line added in the tunnel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Grason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, thanx for the input. I kinda figured that switching the VINs might be a little sneaky but certainly no harm would be intended. However, the last thing I would want is to run so far afoul of the law that the car would be crushed and me ending up with a criminal record, which is something I've done a good jog of avoiding so far in my life. I'm sure that all has to do with car theives skirting the laws in order to ply their illegal trade. My main interest would be to buy a primo condition bug that I wouldn't have to restore. I was thinking that it would be nice just to turn the key and enjoy the ownership. With so many other irons in the fire right now, the last thing that I need is yet another project. So I figured that there must be some way of being able to get one of these babies up here.

I could easily take my pan to Mexico with a little planning. That would certainly get me a fully IRS rear. The only thing that I wasn't super hip on was that I'd be gettng a new car with a swing axle. I'll do a search on this forum for more info.

David Grason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
.....US Customs won't let the car into the USA if its not a US car already.

this sure does make you wonder what the hell NAFTA has actually done for us here in the US? When that crap got passed, Tennessee lost a huge amount of jobs to Mexico. These past few weeks when I was down there, I really saw that NAFTA has had a gigantic impact on the lives of the Mexican people what with all the American products for sale and the standard of living that is way higher than it used to be. But hells bells, the lonely American boy on the street never did get nothing out of it. That's just wrong.

HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smog restrictions, vehicle codes, etc. if you can sell a few million cheap cars OUTSIDE the US and sell several more million expensive cars IN the US, why not do it?

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Grason wrote:
I could easily take my pan to Mexico with a little planning. That would certainly get me a fully IRS rear. The only thing that I wasn't super hip on was that I'd be gettng a new car with a swing axle.

If you decide on this route, your best approch is to completely restore your existing pan first. Weld on the new pan halves, get it sandblasted, apply seam sealer and paint. Make sure to plug all the tubes with pieces of hose and hose clamps to keep the sand out of the tubes. I didn't do that, and had to spend considerable amount of time rinsing out the sand from the clutch tube and others. You'll need to install 2 fuel lines. Its not hard to do when the body is off the pan.
Once you have the pan 100% ready to go, you need to locate a shop that will work with you in Mexico. I had that ready when I did my car. My friend's shop was fully equipped with 4 hoists. We used 3 of them. A modern twin post hoist was used to lift the body off the Mexican pan, and was left there. The new rolling pan was rolled out and placed on an old type center post hoist and lifted to waist level where it was easy to work on, and we could walk around it without the damn posts getting in the way. The restored German pan was placed on another old type hoist beside it. Once all the parts were transfered, the completed German chassis was rolled under the new Mexican body, and married. The total time was 3 really long days to do the swap by 3 of us.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: