Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So what do I/don't I have here? ('63 Notchback)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:
Hopefully these changes will put me in the favor of the 1500 club. Smile

After:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes these do! I love to see self initiative and personal drive to restore a car in the true sense of the word. Once again proving it can be done. I’m glad to be reading this and lurking. My hats off to all the other T3 fanatics that have helped you so far. Applause

As far as the club Think

I first need to honor the ones I’ve let in before I let more in. But you are on the right track. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a couple of weeks, so I suppose it's time for an update. I got the engine built back up from the longblock. It got a new flywheel seal, oil cooler seals, NOS early muffler, early heater elbows, and I got to install the NOS early preheat riser thermostat I acquired a while back. Also on the menu was a correct carb preheat hose pickup and carb preheat flapper control box, and original timing hole plug (all were missing). I also picked up a couple of more rare tidbits - a 4-rib air cleaner boot and an early '63 breather pipe.

One thing that always bugged me about this engine is that somebody had painted the upper half of the engine case and the fanhousing gray. I couldn't stand that either so I stripped off all the paint. What a mess, but I think it looks 100% better now.

I also got a 1/2" e-z coil to use as a breather hose "spring" on a recommendation above. It looks OK, but it did come with a flat bar connecting the ends that I had to cut off so I could stretch the coil to the right length:

Here's a pic with the earlier hard breather pipe, but I don't think I'll use this one, even though it's cool:

In retrospect, I probably should have painted the muffler or had it ceramic coated, but I got impatient. Oh well. Finally, a quick video of me pre-running the engine before I installed it.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get those ashtrays in the mail?

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69SquareGuy wrote:

Not yet. But with the USPS, who knows?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:
69SquareGuy wrote:

Not yet. But with the USPS, who knows?

Shouldn't be too long.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All, as an update. Tom has sold me this car! I flew up to the Bay Area met up with some VW buddies and we drove over to Sacramento to pick it up late September. I drove the car from Tom's place over to the bay area where we gave it a good once over. We changed the oil, adjusted the valves, set the timing etc... etc... Then I drove it 350 miles home to Thousand Oaks, CA.

I scored some parts for it: An original radio from Jacin Ferreira (still need the wrap around), a correct light grey shift knob. I got a red dot heater knob from Bert3 as well as a rebuilt carb (The other one started developing problems right before the drive home). I also got the factory birth cert and apparently, this car was an original German Domestic car! So that means, at some point I'm going to have to replace the SB12s on the thing and find me a nice set of Euro Headlights, and replace the side markers with the clear/red combo.

Presently, I'm driving the car daily to work and back. What a joy it is. This is my first type 3 and man these cars are like the best of driving a VW and a real car at the same time!

Just wanted to update this thread and have somewhere to post progress as I slowly get this thing back to og condition. Smile
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, keep it stock Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris, glad you're having fun with it. I really had mixed emotions about selling it, but I'm glad it went to a good home. So cool to find that it was a domestic market car - I always wondered about that. I knew it had been in the US since at least the 1970s, but before that it was a mystery. Keep us updated on your progress.
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Sweet, keep it stock Wink

Keepin' it stock.
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:
Hey Chris, glad you're having fun with it. I really had mixed emotions about selling it, but I'm glad it went to a good home. So cool to find that it was a domestic market car - I always wondered about that. I knew it had been in the US since at least the 1970s, but before that it was a mystery. Keep us updated on your progress.

I was surprised! I always thought Canada, since it had the amber side markers and red tail lights, so those were changed at some point. Also the birth cert says it came from the factory with whitewalls! What would be the appropriate whitewalls, wide whites? Just curious in case I get em.
Gizmobob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Paterson wrote:
///Mink wrote:

I was surprised! I always thought Canada, since it had the amber side markers and red tail lights, so those were changed at some point. Also the birth cert says it came from the factory with whitewalls! What would be the appropriate whitewalls, wide whites? Just curious in case I get em.

3/4" Whitewalls

'61 Type 311-Black
'62 Type 311-Gulf Blue (Germany)
'62 Type 313-Anthracite (Germany)
'62 Type 311-Gulf Blue (Italy)
'63 Type 361-Anthracite (Sweden)
'64 Type 343-Pacific Blue/Blue-White (Germany)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmobob wrote:
Chris Paterson wrote:
///Mink wrote:

3/4" Whitewalls

Thanks GizmoBob! By the way did you get my email about the interior?
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update, I spent a little money on the notch this last month. I got the correct non-sealed beam headlights. A pair of NOS amber topped flat tail lenses. a NOS rear view mirror and a pair of NOS sun visors.

Also I had a little mishap with the carburetor right before we went on a one week vacation. While on the freeway (I think) one of the screws in the bowl popped out and I instantly lost power. I was about a mile from home and managed to limp it home at no more than 5 miles per hour. When I got it home I parked it in front of the garage. We live in a condo complex and you really aren't supposed to park in front of the garage, so before the trip I pushed it in the garage after moving my bus over and cleaning up a bit. After I did that I came inside and I started to smell gas inside the house. I went out to see if it was leaking and I just couldn't see anything and didn't have time to figure it out because we were leaving the next morning at 6a. So I figured it was just a little residual and figured it would dissipate.

We skipped town and when we landed I got a call from the neighbor telling me that the fire department had my garage open! They had been called because the gas fumes were permeating the building and one of the neighbors called. I was over 1000 miles away so I called my dad to come over and try and figure out what was going on. He couldn't find an obvious leak so he syphoned all the gas out of the tank, a skill he learned as a teenager in the 70's.

I came home and decided to go through all of the fuel lines and gas tank and make sure everything was in order. I found the screw that had fallen out of the carb and I loctite'd it in with the others. The car had 1/4" rubber lines from the gas tank to the chassis line and 1/4" line from the chassis to the firewall and no fuel filter. I pulled all those lines and put in the good German stuff. Then, I took the gas tank down to the powder coater, had it blasted and powder coated and then I started on the Por15 gas tank sealer stuff.

When I pulled the gas tank, I noticed that it was the incorrect driver side tierod end (non angled) and the boot is all mangled. So I bought an NOS set and will install them shortly. I'll post some pictures soon.

Last edited by Chris Paterson on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris - was that the carb that came with the car or the one you installed after you bought it?
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:
Chris - was that the carb that came with the car or the one you installed after you bought it?

It's the one I got from Bert3. Second time a screw fell out of the bowl. I took your carb off because the choke stopped working when we were tuning the car in the bay area. I left it there as collateral and borrowed Joe's NOS carb (nice guy I know), I orded the one from Bert3 and when it got here I put it on and sent Joe's back to him. He's sending me back the one that was on the car. The other thing about this carb is the mixture screw does nothing :-/ The choke works good though Wink
Frizzell39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Paterson wrote:
///Mink wrote:

These are the original tires on my 65' black wheels with whitewall. There a 400 bias ply, I'll have to doublecheck the size when I get home. I have 3 of there but 1 is not very good the 2 are in good shape. Mine is an s and like most iv seen in Canada there is no side markers.

65Nsqback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris I'm not sure if you have done this but PLEASE PLEASE put safty wire on all of the fuel line clamps.. Joe put some on the hoses to the carb but not on the fuel pump

And I never checked them .....I'm SOOOOOO THANKFUL I had my fire extinguisher under the front seat....but it was still SCARY AS HELL and I almost lost the black car two weeks ago

I'm Trying to help you.......but you don't hear me...

Last edited by 65Nsqback on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65Nsqback wrote:
Hey Chris I'm not sure if you have done this but PLEASE PLEASE put safty wire on all of the clamps.. Joe put some on the hoses to the carb but not on the fuel pump

And I never checked them .....I'm SOOOOOO THANKFUL I had my fire extinguisher under the front seat....but it was still SCARY AS HELL and I almost lost the black car two weeks ago

Joe told me about this, I haven't done it yet because I've been working on getting the gas tank sealed up. But I will! It's a good reminder.
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Paterson wrote:
///Mink wrote:

It's the one I got from Bert3. Second time a screw fell out of the bowl.

Wow, well here's a coincidence for you - less than a week before you got the car from me, the exact same thing happened with the carb that was on it (one of the brass plugs on the bottom fell out). An also coincidentally, I was about a mile from home and barely limped it back. I parked it on a downhill slope so maybe that's why I didn't have the over flow you did. Wow.
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:
Chris Paterson wrote:
///Mink wrote:

It's the one I got from Bert3. Second time a screw fell out of the bowl.

Wow, well here's a coincidence for you - less than a week before you got the car from me, the exact same thing happened with the carb that was on it (one of the brass plugs on the bottom fell out). An also coincidentally, I was about a mile from home and barely limped it back. I parked it on a downhill slope so maybe that's why I didn't have the over flow you did. Wow.

Wow... I'm still not sure if that is the entire reason why the car leaked so much fuel. I had it parked outside in front my garage for more than 24 hours and then rolled it in. The carb was dry at that point. That's why I'm going through all the fuel lines. The fuel line from the tank to the chassis was 1/4" rubber and I grabbed the hose clamp to see if it was flat-head or philips when I grabbed it, it just pulled off. So it could have been leaking from there too... I don't know. When I got back from vacation it was long since dry, so it makes it somewhat impossible to track down the leak without adding more gas to it. Which I don't want to do because I don't want to fume out my neighbors again. My wife baked some apology scones and we had to walk around to each neighbor and apologize, lol.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: