Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

advice .....from random experts
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: advice .....from random experts Reply with quote

No question here, just a little story about the folks as classic as our cars.

I’m at the locals FLAPS today and I hear I someone walk in the store saying “ where’s the guy with the bug? The Baja bug out front there?” I always like to talk a little bug so I pop my head out to find out whats up. The guy sees me and walks intently towards me.

this is my bug
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now .. I get comments on my car like “I used to have a bug” “look dad a slug bug” or “is it 4 wheel drive?” but I had a feeling this was something different. This old timer had some wisdom for me.

He starts off “You just about got it right” hmm… “oh.. JUST ABOUT got it right?” I ask him and he says “ya you just about got it right I’ll tell you what you need to do” I'm all ears now.

He started to explain “ Looks like you already flipped the front end.” I said I have a thing front end in it. He didn’t know about that and repeated that I need to flip the front end over to get more height.. Not sure what he might be talking about.

“Get Ford wheel adapters so you can get a 285 tire on”

This is where it gets interesting.
“What you do is move your seat to where the back seat is. Then cut right down the middle and make it 12” smaller . that will give you a shorter wheel base then put a bus transmission in it and put a 1300 in it. it will be indestructible and will go up anything. Gives you 14” of clearance at the oil pan. You’ll never flip forward but you can roll backwards if you give it to much gas then you just roll it back and keep going. " I started to tell him I had a 2 liter engine and he says “No No you want a 1300 anything else is a time bomb.”

Then he took off saying “you needed to know that”

So I came right home and started the mods . I may not get to the bus tranny for awhile. But I did the rest. Its about time I get rid of those dated gold rims I had and I scrapped my new 29.5”yokohamas and 29” BFG’s for some 285’s on ford rims. Now i m just looking for someone to trade me straight across my 2 liter time bomb for an indestructible 1300.
VolShrfDwightSchrute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a legit bit of information, i wanna see a forum on the mods and a video of you jumping it in the dunes!
1961 VW Sandrail
1964 VW WFG Mountaineer
KopfenJager
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL...I love getting advice from idiots. Shocked
crawdizz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now that you rolled it are you going to give what the old man said a try? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love talking to people at the dunes who will show you the dune buggy they just bought. Tell you the front bean is long travel because the snunbers are cut off, and the 1776 engine is 180HP.

Then there is the guy who isn't mechanical, but buys all the forum fads. He will tell you how he build the most bad ass 2110 ever because 94'sthe run hot and 84 stroke wont fit a stock case. And he had his crank and flywheel "swedge mated" and you can never change the bearings but shouldn't need to because its balanced.

An old timer engine builder once ripped me for not letting my motor sit and idle to warm up. He let his idle for 30a minutes to warm up. Not good on flat tappet engines.

I had a 30 minute argument with a "professional diesel mechani
c" who told me I needed to be running 4:1 high compression he said I should be running pumpgas at 13:1

I could go on all day.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another classic...

A young guy walks up to a buddy at a local off road vehicle show, looks at the vw and said it needed a Dana 44 in the rear in order to work off road. Then he walked to the front of the car and proceeded to ask if he could take a look at the engine.

yeah...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite: "Where's the radiator?" Particularly amusing with a buggy, because the engine is visible.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone who walks up to me had a buddy in high school that had a bug with a Porsche motor in it. Laughing

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
Everyone who walks up to me had a buddy in high school that had a bug with a Porsche motor in it. Laughing
Same here, but they always say "poorsh". Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thesatelliteguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lil kid at the skate park:
"MY DAD HAS ONE. ITS WAY BETTER THEN YOUR THOUGH. ITS A SAND RAIL SO ITS WAAAY FASTER. IT HAS A $10,000 PORSCHE 911 (pronounces it nine one one) MOTOR IN IT. YOURS LOOKS KIND OF SLOW. HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO SELL IT FOR?"

"well its not really for sale, i dont think i could ever sell it. i built it my...."

"WELL HOW MUCH WOULD YOU WANT TO SELL IT FOR?"

"well i have about $6,000 into it, so $8,000 i guess"

"THATS A RIP OFF. MY DADA WOULD GIVE YOU $800 FOR IT"

.....silence out of me as i admire the 360* pop shove it, air walk what ever trick this other kid just busted on his skateboard.....

My build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383878
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
sixfootdan wrote:

This is a very popular story.......i call bs though cause as i remember " back when" no one ever saw the elusive Porsche in the vw and bugs were mostly written off as a joke by most high schoolers of the day who would have rather a mustang, trans-am ,broncos ,etc..
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a guy tell me his bug had a porsche engine. Poped the hood and there was an efi bug motor.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey can you do that to my bug!!!would teflon on the hood/top keep if from scratching it when it rolled over? I see these guy all the time, and then there is the exsperts that take thier stuff to asome morons to fix it because he dosent &cant do any thing to it .There is 1 guy around town with a wooden machine gun mounted to the top of his sand rail(witch he cant do any thing to but make wooden gun for)..SO just why is it these guys are drawn to vw's???more so than camarow's??(and there is a lot of them there too)
under construction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
sixfootdan wrote:

Oh the things I look forward to...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: